• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What should be the England side in 2003 season, and England A ( if there was one)

chris.hinton

International Captain
I go along with this:-

England

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Thorpe ( if he gets sorted)
Stewart
Troughton
Flintoff
Giles ( No other spinner got Enough at the moment)
Caddick
Gough
Jones

12th man Hoggard

A team (if they was one and in any order)

Fulton
Rampakash
Bell
Crawley
Foster
White
K.Ali
Anderson
Harminson
Scohfield
Joyce

what would be yours if you were your National teamanager for the day

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't pick Troughton as he needs more experiance, he's only played one season!!! And I wouldn't pick Kadeer, I need more proof he can play.

Test Squad:

Marcus Trescothick
Michael Vaughan
Mark Butcher
Nasser Hussain
John Crawley
Ian Bell
Alec Stewart (Wk) (David Nash when Stewart retires)
Ashley Giles (or if he starts becoming ineffective again then bring in Phil Tufnell who would bat at 11)
Darren Gough (if he's fit, if not then Andy Caddick)
Simon Jones (or Steve Harmison till Jones is fit)
Matthew Hoggard

12th man: Andrew Flintoff

A Team:

David Fulton
Ian Ward
Owais Shah
Jamie Troughton
Ed Joyce
Vikram Solanki
Tim Ambrose (Wk) (or Andy Pratt if he starts batting well)
Chris Schofield
Kabir Ali
James Kirtley
Jimmy Anderson

12th Man: Martin Saggers

Oh and I'll bring in my ODI side too:

Marcus Trescothick
Nick Knight
Andrew Flintoff
Nasser Hussain
Owais Shah
Ian Bell or Jamie Troughton
Ian Blackwell or Paul Collingwood
Alec Stewart
Jeremy Snape
Darren Gough (if he's not fit I'd gamble on giving Simon Jones a go)
James Kirtley (Or Andy Caddick)

12th man: Michael Vaughan

I can't wait till Kevin Pieterson qualifies :D

V Reddy

International Debutant
Why is Foster is getting picked ahead of Read. Read can bat way better than Foster. I still remember the 50 he made against SAF. Also James drops a lot of catches to be called a good keeper.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by vishnureddy
Why is Foster is getting picked ahead of Read. Read can bat way better than Foster. I still remember the 50 he made against SAF. Also James drops a lot of catches to be called a good keeper.
I have no idea, he seems to have been picked on his batting, which has turned out not to be that impressive. He can't keep wicket either so I dunno why they are keeping with him, consistancy maybe. Anyway good post Chris.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik you mentioned that Solanki is not a good one day player but he scored a number of runs at run a ball this season. I thought he was a sehwag type player as he even run a ball in 1 class also.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by vishnureddy
Rik you mentioned that Solanki is not a good one day player but he scored a number of runs at run a ball this season. I thought he was a sehwag type player as he even run a ball in 1 class also.
I never said he wasn't a good one day player, I just said he was more at home in the longer game.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Tests:

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Crawley
Ward
Stewart
Flintoff
Giles
Caddick
Hoggard

This is assuming Gough doesn't come back, Crawley for consistency though he needs to do a job, Ward because he had an amazing year so deserves another chance against someone easier than Australia.

ODIs

Trescothick
Knight
Hussain
Vaughan
Collingwood
Flintoff
Stewart
Blackwell
Snape
Caddick
Hoggard

Pretty much agree with Riks A team, most of those names should be in the selectors' thoughts.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Ian Ward is terrific talent. He and and fellow Ian (Bell that is) should go really far. I saw him bat in the West Indies last year and he had a fantastic series.

His problem last year, in the Ashes, was to do with his grip and likely stemmed from a lack of confidence. He definitely deserves another look into though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ward's 30, so not one for the future!

For me:
Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Thorpe
Bell
Flintoff
Read
Giles
Jones
Hoggard

Bazza

International 12th Man
But there's nothing to say someone at 30 can't come into the side and be a success for a few years. I also forgot to state that I would have Chris Read as my back up keeper after Stewart, and look out for a young guy called Williams at Gloucestershire, he is an exceptional gloveman, as is Pipe at Worcestershire. Actually there are loads of good young keepers coming through in England at the moment, so at least we won't have a problem in that department.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Chris Read doesn't get a fair crack of the whip because Nottinghamshire never has been a "fashionable" county, has it?

Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Bell or Thorpe
Flintoff
Read
Giles
Caddick
Gough
Hoggard

12th: Key

A Team - Ramprakash, White, Ward, Crawley and Fulton shouldn't come close, they're all far too old for what should be a vehicle for newer players' experience.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But a 30 year old opener when we have Banger and Vaughan won't get close - and don't put him in the middle order, it didn't work before, and he's still opening for Surrey.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
But there's nothing to say someone at 30 can't come into the side and be a success for a few years. I also forgot to state that I would have Chris Read as my back up keeper after Stewart, and look out for a young guy called Williams at Gloucestershire, he is an exceptional gloveman, as is Pipe at Worcestershire. Actually there are loads of good young keepers coming through in England at the moment, so at least we won't have a problem in that department.
Reggie Williams isn't that young, around 31 in fact...and he was released so that Gloucestershire can give more 2nd team matches to their England U-19 Keeper Stephen Pope. Your right about the fact that someone over 30 should still be picked...its not their age, its their quality and ability which should be paramount.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by marc71178
Except he doesn't really have talent.
If you score the ammount of runs he has this season then you've got to have quite a bit of talent. Just because Fulton didn't score as much this year doesn't mean he's a rubbish player, he still exceeded 1000 runs by quite a margin.

craig182

Cricket Spectator
Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Thorpe ( if not Ian Bell )
Stewart ( if retiers Wallace or Foster )
Andrew Flintoff
Ashley Giles ( even though he isnt a very good spinner, we need a spinner )
Jones
Hoggard ( promotion to number 10 )
Caddick

A TEAM

Robert Key
Ward
Owais Shah
Mark Ramprakash
John Crawley
Ian Bell
Mark Wallace
Richard Dawson
Alex Tudor
Martin Saggers
James Anderson

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by craig182
Trescothick
Vaughan
Butcher
Hussain
Thorpe ( if not Ian Bell )
Stewart ( if retiers Wallace or Foster )
Andrew Flintoff
Ashley Giles ( even though he isnt a very good spinner, we need a spinner )
Jones
Hoggard ( promotion to number 10 )
Caddick

A TEAM

Robert Key
Ward
Owais Shah
Mark Ramprakash
John Crawley
Ian Bell
Mark Wallace
Richard Dawson
Alex Tudor
Martin Saggers
James Anderson
Hmmmm quite similer to mine...its good someone agrees that Owais should be given a go to impress, he's scored more in FC cricket than he has in OD cricket so its quite puzzling why he has been picked for the ODI side and continusly ignored for the Test Squad. But I'm interisted why you picked Ramprakash for the A team, I don't think he would proove anything there and he's had more than his fair share of chances in the Test team...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Ramprakash, Ward and Crawley wouldn't gain anything from playing in the A Team. Players like Bilal Shafayat ought to have a chance.

And Hoggard and Jones batting above Caddick? What on earth are you basing that upon?!