• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is Your signature cricketing shot?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
From what I have read in this forum, most people seem to favour the pull shot. And I guess it explains why most of us never play any decent level of cricket. After all, playing across the line so much does have its pitfalls.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I haven't played for a long time now. I'd have to say the cover drive or the cut. I do fancy the leg glance as well.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
honestbharani said:
From what I have read in this forum, most people seem to favour the pull shot. And I guess it explains why most of us never play any decent level of cricket. After all, playing across the line so much does have its pitfalls.
The pull shot is not playing against the line, unless you are playing it to a ball pitched outside off stump. I guess, particuarly in Australia with most juniors playing on synthetic (sp) grass the bounce is true and high and you can play the pull shot with ease and comfort, it becomes a natural thing to do. The good players are able to make the transistion from synthetic grass to turf wickets. The rest of us struggle for our whole lives to do anything decent.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
YES and NO :)

Pull is a great shotbut since it is played basically to a bad ball (most of the time) this is not what should be taught first to a budding cricketer.

After one has learnt the drives and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, correct back foot defense and back foot drives (with a straight bat) a most beautiful shot so rarely seen executed perfectly, one would do very well to master the pull shot.

It has some great advantages.
1. It can be hit very powerfully almost all the time.
2. It can be placed in the widest of arcs of all shots in the field
3. One has a clear unimpeded view of the ball as one plays this shot, right upto the time it hits the bat and this means you can excercise great control if you play it well.
4. Once mastered and played judiciously it can make the real difference between the mere great player and...er...a Bradman :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
You're back in Sherborne now, right? That's an hour, tops, on the train (direct) to Exeter Central, which is 8 minutes from my house and the same from the County Ground in the city, so you're in on the next meetup over the summer (mid August is the likely go)
I am indeed back at home in Sherborne - meetup sounds good, except I may be pretty busy in August. I'll keep you posted, cheers for letting me know.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Neil's got a better googly than me, so he's got something sorted.. Far too loopy are his stock balls though and needs to cut out the occasional grubber (as do most leggies)..

I very much doubt he is the worst player here.. I bowled at him a good half an hour at good pace and he played straight to everything pretty much, I couldnt get through... A kind of Hoggard with the willow... I'd like to bowl at him on a wicket with a bit of bounce in it though
How quick do you bowl Rich? I'm trying to find a way of comparing my batting to Neil's - I've faced 70-75mph bowling once and scored a 25-ball 5, none of which came in front of the wicket, or off the middle. And I'm supposed to be an opening bat! :p If Neil can play straight to you properly for half an hour and you bowl anything around the 70mph mark, Neil's definitely better than me with the bat.

I've scored 27 against 60-65mph bowling, which was swinging like a ******* as well. That's my greatest innings. The 52-ball 71 I referred to earlier was at Under 15 level against about 40mph bowling, probably.

As for bowling, I don't need to know anything about Neil's bowling to know he's better than me! For about two days, I was groomed as our 1st XI offspinner, until the coaches realised how horribly inconsistent I was - they saw me pitch one on a length 6 inches outside a county triallist left-hander's leg stump, draw him into a defensive stroke, and turn it past off stump and the keeper, told me if I could do that consistently I'd play for the 1st XI the next week, and then promptly lost interest once I threw down a waist-high full toss that was smashed for 6. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mister Wright said:
The pull shot is not playing against the line, unless you are playing it to a ball pitched outside off stump. I guess, particuarly in Australia with most juniors playing on synthetic (sp) grass the bounce is true and high and you can play the pull shot with ease and comfort, it becomes a natural thing to do. The good players are able to make the transistion from synthetic grass to turf wickets. The rest of us struggle for our whole lives to do anything decent.
Well, maybe I was just speaking from an Indian context. Given the low bounce on the wickets here, you invariably see a lot of front foot pulls (esp. from tall guys like me) and when we go to the higher levels and the pace gets quicker, we end looking like tailenders as we try to pull the ball only to see our furniture dislodged.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:
YES and NO :)

Pull is a great shotbut since it is played basically to a bad ball (most of the time) this is not what should be taught first to a budding cricketer.

After one has learnt the drives and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, correct back foot defense and back foot drives (with a straight bat) a most beautiful shot so rarely seen executed perfectly, one would do very well to master the pull shot.

It has some great advantages.
1. It can be hit very powerfully almost all the time.
2. It can be placed in the widest of arcs of all shots in the field
3. One has a clear unimpeded view of the ball as one plays this shot, right upto the time it hits the bat and this means you can excercise great control if you play it well.
4. Once mastered and played judiciously it can make the real difference between the mere great player and...er...a Bradman :p
What I mentioned to Mister Wright is applicable here too. While your points are right, I was basically stating that from my context, which I now realize is quite different from a lot of others' here.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
I've only ever been out once playing the pull, and that was when I was about 8. I was out hooking once last year but other than that the pull is one of my safest shots.

cbuts

International Debutant
suprisingly enough, being a left hander, im weak onthe leg side. i punish anything on the offside, favourties being the cover drive ro the off drive. quiet like the late cut to.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
And its funny that a guy who can't even string an English sentence together sees fit to judge cricketers who've actually gone and done something... You're whole cricketing setup is an embaressment.. I'd love you to go to Australia or England and see how real men play cricket.. In fact, I'd love nothing more than to embarass you personally and dash your surreal expectations...
:lol: Rich Hingston shows his people skills once again 8-) :ph34r: :p :angel_not :thumbup: