• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

Gob

International Coach
Imagine moving a bloke whos the best batsman in history by a factor of two from the position where he scored all his runs to accomodate a bloke who wasn’t even the best number three of his generation
What I don't understand is the use of full name for some and the last name only for few.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine moving a bloke whos the best batsman in history by a factor of two from the position where he scored all his runs to accomodate a bloke who wasn’t even the best number three of his generation
Also picking the 6th best bowling allrounder of his era (that includes Procter and Rice) to bat at 8 in an all-time test team is "interesting".

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Also picking the 6th best bowling allrounder of his era (that includes Procter and Rice) to bat at 8 in an all-time test team is "interesting".
seems you are replying to my post , i suppose.. . Kapil for me is the 3rd GOAT all rounder. I just do not go by numbers alone. Context also matters,
For a start Procter & Rice how ever talented they were , remained unproven at international level and hence let they remain as such.
Of the FAB 4 of the 80s I rate Kapil better to the other 3 . He bowled along with comparatively far inferior support bowling unit in much shorter time period when compared to the other 3. To bowl a whopping 27740 balls in such short span (His contemporary rival Botham bowled only 21815 balls in more or less the same time span) along with such inferior fellow bowlers had such adverse efffect on his end average.
What not, he didn't resort to unfair tactics like ball tampering to take wickets unlike some of his fellow all rounders.
For these reasons I evaluate him as a 26.25-26.75 bowler though his end average was 29.64.
In batting his str: was 81-82.5 where as even for Botham it was only some 60+ .Even the mighty Viv Richards had only 70+. And against the
ATG team Windies in Windies he was more or less at his very best where as his fellow all rounders fell drastically. All these matters.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Kallis wasnt even in the top 10 or 20 of his generation as a number 3, and has something of a case as the premier number 4 ever, so the swap is worse than you are making out.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Kallis wasnt even in the top 10 or 20 of his generation as a number 3, and has something of a case as the premier number 4 ever, so the swap is worse than you are making out.
Again , this is in response to my eleven , i suppose. Kallis for me is the GOAT allrounder. He simply can't be exempted. The eleven is not based strictly on the 'best position wise'. More over, Kallis' record 'one down' was very good indeed. His bowling credentials too were taken into account for selecting him.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Procter
Hadlee
Imran
Kapil
Botham
Rice

Top 6 All Rounders of the era ranked as players above.
Now,

Rice can not be labelled as a bowling allrounder. He played zero tests in total.

Procter's short career ( 7 official tests + 9 unofficial ) good enough reason for his exclusion.

Hadlee's batting ability can not be compared with Kapil's. Kapil was a matchwinner with bat. Especially for an alltime 11 you must be better than a regular number 8.

Imran's batting was in Hadlee league when he was a great bowler. Besides his fielding was poor.

Kapil was a better player than Botham.

These could be the reasons.. I dont agree with the selection .. But its understandable.

And Procter is my number 8.

Gob

International Coach
Botham is better than Dev imo

80s guys according to me

As batsmen

Botham
Imran
Kapil
Hadlee

Bowlers

Hadlee
Imran
Botham
Kapil

All rounder package

Imran
Botham
Kapil
Hadlee

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Botham is better than Dev imo

80s guys according to me

As batsmen

Botham
Imran
Kapil
Hadlee

Bowlers

Hadlee
Imran
Botham
Kapil

All rounder package

Imran
Botham
Kapil
Hadlee
Batting

Rice
Procter
Botham
Kapil
Imran
Hadlee

Bowling

Hadlee
Imran
Procter
Kapil
Botham
Rice

As players

Procter
Hadlee
Imran
Kapil
Botham
Rice

As Allrounders

Procter
Kapil
Botham
Rice
Imran
Hadlee

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's be honest though, you're either picking Imran or Hadlee at 8 and the others are also-rans. This sort of criticism of them not being match winning batters along side being 'good' bowlers typically ignores all sense of proportion and scale. No one has been significantly better with the ball and you get handy batting too. Oh and Imran is OP as **** for a #8, lmao what even. Kapil being a better bat isn't inarguable and at no point in the 80s was Imran not a good #8.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Let's be honest though, you're either picking Imran or Hadlee at 8 and the others are also-rans. This sort of criticism of them not being match winning batters along side being 'good' bowlers typically ignores all sense of proportion and scale. No one has been significantly better with the ball and you get handy batting too. Oh and Imran is OP as **** for a #8, lmao what even. Kapil being a better bat isn't inarguable and at no point in the 80s was Imran not a good #8.
Imran / Hadlee = Steyn + 27ish bat avg
Kapil/Botham = Anderson + 32ish bat avg

Also Imran was a poor fielder.

Then there is the greatest cricketer of last 50 years
Mike Procter.. ATG bowler, Gun Fielder, and Terrific Lower order batsman

Gob

International Coach
Imran / Hadlee = Steyn + 27ish bat avg
Kapil/Botham = Anderson + 32ish bat avg

Also Imran was a poor fielder.

Then there is the greatest cricketer of last 50 years
Mike Procter.. ATG bowler, Gun Fielder, and Terrific Lower order batsman
Procter played 7 tests

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve always thought Imran is grossly overrated on Cricketweb when he’s considered to be the greatest bowler, cricketer, or even Human Being, ever. But the idea that you have have six of the greatest batsman in history plus Gilchrist at 7 and then chuck in Kapil Dev or Proctor at 8 instead of Imran because they might eek out a few more runs is completely bonkers.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I’ve always thought Imran is grossly overrated on Cricketweb when he’s considered to be the greatest bowler, cricketer, or even Human Being, ever. But the idea that you have have six of the greatest batsman in history plus Gilchrist at 7 and then chuck in Kapil Dev or Proctor at 8 instead of Imran because they might eek out a few more runs is completely bonkers.
Not like theres much difference between Procter and Imran as bowlers.