• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the cause for a lack of quality batsmen from the 92-99 generation?

Silver Silva

International Debutant
It's a pretty lean patch, perhaps the leanest there has been in a while by high batting standards of the past.
Whose the best group of batsmen from your nation in this age group ?

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
South Africa has found it really tough I guess , nobody from the 90's Gen averages over 40 currently in Test cricket ..
Indian batsmen kinda suck from that generation bar Pant whose a keeper batsman ..Rahul , Shaw, Iyer, Gill have all flattered to deceive in Tests

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
NZ s best from that period are a 27 year old and a 24 year old who have played 3 tests each. Phillips and Ravindra.

The theory holds true for NZ.

Gob

International Coach
Wait till Shaun Marsh gets going

Edit - Just checked. Marsh narrowly misses out as he was born in February 2000

thierry henry

International Coach
NZ s best from that period are a 27 year old and a 24 year old who have played 3 tests each. Phillips and Ravindra.

The theory holds true for NZ.
Latham fits too (dunno if you were intending a subtle dig at Latham sucking, or it was just a vibes thing about him seeming to have been around forever)

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Latham fits too (dunno if you were intending a subtle dig at Latham sucking, or it was just a vibes thing about him seeming to have been around forever)
No, not a dig. I guess I associate him with the slightly older group because of how he slotted into the U19s cycles.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Batting has just gotten harder? DRS means that spinner's actually get LBW'S, teams have made pitches more spicy for various reasons, and pace bowler's around the world got better in 2016. Between 1990 and 2000, 7 players with over 20 innings averaged 50+, between 2000 and 2016 24 people did the same thing. Do this same experiment for the start of 2016 to now, and you get 7 player's averaging 50+.

I'm sure if you sample size your way through a 7 year generation from that 90's period mentioned above similiar to the 92-99 birth period selected in the OP you'll find something similiar. You can claim that 2000-2016 was a golden generation for batting or something, but i'm pretty sure it's more the fact that batting was easier in that period. I don't know enough about the 90's and 2000's to tell you why batting was different in those period's, but thems the numbers.

Flem274*

123/5
We've had a reversion to the mean for batting averages, and it has been exacerbated by DRS. Further, there's probably a few guys who have held back slightly younger players through their incumbency. Pujara-Kohli-Rahane was in place for a very long time as an example. Williamson-Taylor-McCullum (Nicholls) another that saw no change for some time.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty simple reason really. The birth of T20 in the 2000's...
EXACTLY. T20 cricket has made batting techniques worse, just like ODI did despite thr fact that batting averages didn't magically drop around ODI. Wish the sheeple could see this conspiracy.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
EXACTLY. T20 cricket has made batting techniques worse, just like ODI did despite thr fact that batting averages didn't magically drop around ODI. Wish the sheeple could see this conspiracy.
I don't think ODI's, or limited overs cricket in general, worsened batting techniques. But T20 definitely has, and a big part of it is the money involved in T20. There's less incentive for a young player to hone his technique for red-ball cricket when making it more T20-adjacent has more long-term rewards

Spark

Global Moderator
I do think what we're seeing now might be a lot of T20s but that absolutely does not explain what happened to batting averages between 2013, which was probably the end of the global roads era, and about 2018 when even Australia started to roll out the odd greentop or two. That's mostly just pitches and much, much better bowlers arriving on the scene compared to the hacks of the late 00s and early 10s aside from a select few.