• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is fast bowling mostly about?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
im in two minds on what you need to have/do to get quick. adam milne was a very skinny and not notably tall (6 footish, th to comment?) 17 year old bowling 150kph in that old champions league thing and in some random t20s against pakistan, but then im pretty sure it has been said by aussies that ryan harris hit the gym pretty hard to go from medium pace to genuine pace.

so idk
I don't know about this. If anything he seemed to have lost weight and just gotten a lot fitter.

Daemon

In my experience it has very little to do with muscle building, and brute strength. I've seen many more cases of bowlers actually getting slower and struggling to bowl with as much pace after gaining upper-body muscle. Unless they're starting out as exceptionally thin and weak of course, in which case gaining muscle will obviously help.
Lower body definitely more important because the power comes from your hips.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In my experience it has very little to do with muscle building, and brute strength. I've seen many more cases of bowlers actually getting slower and struggling to bowl with as much pace after gaining upper-body muscle. Unless they're starting out as exceptionally thin and weak of course, in which case gaining muscle will obviously help.
Bulking up can reduce your flexibility, which is definitely the least appreciated of the traits needed for fast bowling.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bulking up can reduce your flexibility, which is definitely the least appreciated of the traits needed for fast bowling.
I had a mate who got seriously into body building after playing cricket until his early 20s. Got quite big thru the shoulders and arms and upper back and found he couldn't bowl properly after a few years of big weights.

Burgey

I had a mate who got seriously into body building after playing cricket until his early 20s. Got quite big thru the shoulders and arms and upper back and found he couldn't bowl properly after a few years of big weights.
Plainly untrue :ph34r:

Daemon

Pity Tremlett wrecked himself before he got into bodybuilding else we'd have found out

There's still Sreesanth though I suppose

TheJediBrah

Pity Tremlett wrecked himself before he got into bodybuilding else we'd have found out

There's still Sreesanth though I suppose
It's definitely the case. You never see bulky (muscular) fast bowlers. Or cricketers in general I guess

MrPrez

International Debutant
I believe it's more about how rhythmic your bowling action is, whether that action comes to you naturally or not? Chris Tremlett and Andre Nel were pretty strong but both had hard time touching 85 mph, it's because their bowling actions did not have fluid like flow. Most believe that Irfan Pathan lost pace because he changed his natural chest on action and tried to be more side on to avoid injuries.
I'd disagree that this is exclusively what it's about. It can be the reason for speed, but is certainly not a prerequisite.

Look at Mitchell Johnson for example.I'd hardly call that a rhythmic action, yet he could truly crank it up.

It definitely varies according to bowler. Sometimes a really good rhythm can do it, other times brute force through the shoulders (see slingers), and other times still its about the speed of the bowler's 'explosion' through the crease - getting everything to happen quickly so that the momentum of the action converts into speed (admittedly, this is often coupled with rhythm - see Dale Steyn as an example).

I personally think that run-ups are tremendously overrated when it comes to generating pace. Even if you charge in, it makes no difference if the action doesn't happy quickly and smoothly - pace is generated through the action, not the run-up. A run-up really just gives the bowler momentum to execute their action more efficiently - but if the action isn't good, the run-up means almost nothing.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It's how compactly the bowler holds himself together just before the point of delivery. The fastest bowlers I have seen pivot, for lack of a better word, before releasing the ball. It calls for a lot of explosive power (not strength, hence all analogies to traditional bodybuilding/powerlifting/slow grinding gym work seem misplaced) through the hips and core in general, much like a javelin thrower or a shot putter.

Kirkut

International Regular
I'd disagree that this is exclusively what it's about. It can be the reason for speed, but is certainly not a prerequisite.

Look at Mitchell Johnson for example.I'd hardly call that a rhythmic action, yet he could truly crank it up.

It definitely varies according to bowler. Sometimes a really good rhythm can do it, other times brute force through the shoulders (see slingers), and other times still its about the speed of the bowler's 'explosion' through the crease - getting everything to happen quickly so that the momentum of the action converts into speed (admittedly, this is often coupled with rhythm - see Dale Steyn as an example).

I personally think that run-ups are tremendously overrated when it comes to generating pace. Even if you charge in, it makes no difference if the action doesn't happy quickly and smoothly - pace is generated through the action, not the run-up. A run-up really just gives the bowler momentum to execute their action more efficiently - but if the action isn't good, the run-up means almost nothing.
I immediately thought of Shoaib Akhtar when I read this. He built upper body strength through weight training because he felt he wasn't fast enough in 1999, the weight training helped him breach 100 mph later but also brought with it plenty of injuries.

As you've said, it's all about how explosive your bowling action is. Shoaib Akhtar burdened his knees with a long run up and bulky upper body, which is why he could never really sustain himself even though he generated express pace.