• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happened to the flipper?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watch the ball on youtube at 0.25 speed and you'll see the ball pitches in line with off and hits him on the front pad in line with off. It's out these days.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Played the first one purely on length. Hardly an achievement. Was completely beaten by the second one, again attempting to play it on length. Looked like some batsmen I've seen in the BBL facing Rashid Khan for the first time.

You're gonna have to pull up a more convincing example than that.

Benaud not batting an eyelid means nothing. In his era lbws weren't given on the front foot as a matter of course. If you've watched enough old cricket you will find many, many examples of near-plumb lbws that were barely appealed for, if at all.
Played first one with straight bat and that's what differs from Alec Stewarts or Daryll Cullinans. Warne quickly measured up flipper is not going to work, and went back to leg breaks, and got carted. 10-0-58-0 against premier bowler of the opposition is achievement. There is another flipper getting hammered over long off by Asanka Gurusinghe as well. Arjuna may have not played the second one well, but he made sure he cannot be out. That is because he picked the thing right out of the hand.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He turns his leg inwards playing the shot - you can see middle stump get covered over from right to left - hits in line with off. Only question was if it needed to straighten against the angle.
And flippers don't straighten

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Same match, Asanka Gurusinha smokes two Warne flippers, one for four and next for a six.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Gursinha's test stats are pretty good for a batsman who played for Sri Lanka between 1985 and 1996. 2500 runs @ 39 in 41 games with 7 hundreds.

I always thought he averaged in the early 30s as opposed to nearly 40 with a good amount of test hundreds.

Handy part-timer with 20 wickets @ 34 too.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Gursinha's test stats are pretty good for a batsman who played for Sri Lanka between 1985 and 1996. 2500 runs @ 39 in 41 games with 7 hundreds.

I always thought he averaged in the early 30s as opposed to nearly 40 with a good amount of test hundreds.

Handy part-timer with 20 wickets @ 34 too.
Averaged 46 out of Asia too. 44 even if Zim is discounted.

Arachnodouche

International Captain

Same match, Asanka Gurusinha smokes two Warne flippers, one for four and next for a six.
Were those two really flippers? Warne's flipper had a very distinctive look from behind. The illusion, if that's what it was, was of the ball being held a little further along the fingers i.e. fingers not really curling around the ball in a tight grip. He seems to have lost control of these two deliveries because the dew as I recall was a big problem that evening at the Gadaffi.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What about the two stumps you cant see because they're covered by the pads? Have to admit it looks more suss if you freeze it at the point of impact. A moment later when Arjuna moves it looks wide and I can understand why the ump gave it not out.
Yeah the decision was perfectly fine for the era, but today that's given every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Were those two really flippers? Warne's flipper had a very distinctive look from behind. The illusion, if that's what it was, was of the ball being held a little further along the fingers i.e. fingers not really curling around the ball in a tight grip. He seems to have lost control of these two deliveries because the dew as I recall was a big problem that evening at the Gadaffi.grip for the flipper

ag-flipper.jpg

Just before release. First delivery, the release point is in between frames.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Were those two really flippers? Warne's flipper had a very distinctive look from behind. The illusion, if that's what it was, was of the ball being held a little further along the fingers i.e. fingers not really curling around the ball in a tight grip. He seems to have lost control of these two deliveries because the dew as I recall was a big problem that evening at the Gadaffi.grip for the flipper

View attachment 25488

Just before release. First delivery, the release point is in between frames.
No wonder they couldn't pick him, it appears his hand completely disappears when he bowled the flipper

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No wonder they couldn't pick him, it appears his hand completely disappears when he bowled the flipper
Haha to be fair if it only disappeared when he bowled the flipper it'd actually make it pretty easy to pick.

Last edited: