• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of Virat Kohli?

Lostman

State Captain
Horrible tattoos. Saw an interview of him in Neo Sports or something saying that massive SCORPIO on his arm is "very close" to him as it's his star sign. Bloody hell.
would be one of those "epic fail" posters if his sign was switched:laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I believe Saurabh Tiwary and Manish Pandey are better than him tbh. They look much more attacking have shown glimpses of what they could do in T20 games. Would like to see them given an extended run in ODIs.
I'm a huge Rohit fan, but Sehwag has more game changing ability than Tendulkar. Doesn't necessarily make him the better batsman.

Lol @ Pandey though. The guy couldn't handle the ball moving one bit in the latter stages of the IPL. To say he's better than a guy with a ODI hundred when his team was in trouble is a bit much.
Reckon Pandey is a pretty ordinary cricketer, to be honest. I'd be really surprised if he ever performs well in international cricket.
After watching Pandey again, I still have the same opinion. Not convinced at all.

Really find his footwork awful, particularly with the moving ball. Sehwag may not move his feet but his bat comes straight when necessary and his head is still. Pandey looked at sea vs Albie with the ball doing a bit.
And he looks awful with my man Kohli on the other end oozing ***yness.
But ultimately Pandey top scored with 52 and Kohli got out tamely for 14 .
For the BRC only Pandey put up a fight and the reason Pandey looks awkward in the IPL is because in a T20 game he is always looking to manufacture forced shots(which he is good at too) while in First class cricket he looks more steady.

Besides Looking good is only part of the package,ultimately it is the effectiveness that matters.Dhoni being top ODI batsmen for a long period now shows that .
Both Vijay and Kohli,look good while batting but if i were to be picking for the test team at the moment i would pick Pandey and Badri ahead of them,also Pujara and Raina.
Kohli got out because he was trying to win tbh, and he hurt his back. Bit harsh claiming Pandey played better when because of Pandeys inability to hit the moving ball in the first 4 overs, kohli had to walk in with a required rate of 12.

To claim Pandey was good last night is ludicrous. Hope he proves me wrong, and he may very well do so. But Kohli is so clearly ahead in terms of a ODI slot.
Panday looks quite mediocre will do well on sub cont pancakes while Kohli is just awesome all the way.10000+ runs minimum.
Yes. Pandey has been highly disappointing recently.
Also :laugh:ing at those that said Pandey was better than him.
Kohli is so far ahead of Pandey now its not even funny. When you compared their technique, composure, shot selection and striking ability... it was so stark. Kohli is just so much more talented.

Kohli basically won his team the game, and Pandey helped lose his team the game (Time Paine helped).

Horrible call by Shri gets even worse as time goes on :ph34r:

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Pandey is only 19-20.So he's got plenty time to improve ..talentwise only one man beats kohli in india atm...rohit sharma ..but he has problems in mental department and attitude.
Pujara will also be a top dog in tests ..guy scored 3 triple hundreds in one.first class season,he's one for the long haul with great technique and drives very well.Proved himself with a vital 5th day 75 in a chase vs australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pandey is only 19-20.So he's got plenty time to improve
Turning 22 this year actually.

But you're right, he has time to improve. But he's so far down the pecking order in Indian batsmen right now his name really shouldn't even be on the table.

Capable of hitting awesome knocks (Ranji final) but no consistency at all, and has plenty of issues with his technique.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Have to say i was wrong on Kohli. Though i said i was talking about test cricket and mentioned Pujara and Badri too.
He is better than Pandey atm, by a decently big margin.

But Pandey is at his best in FC cricket . He seems a completely different batsman there and the gap between him and Kohli in terms of the long form of the game is not as much as in the limited overs game at the moment.

Has played some spectacular knocks in domestic competitions(ranji trophy final, Duleep trophy final) and also seems to score for Karnataka every time in tough situations.

Was the highest run scorer in ranji the season before the last one.

He is no where near as bad Jono makes him out to be.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Kohli actually has a much better FC record than Pandey. Pandey is about a year younger though.

As of now Kohli is by far the better batsman with much the sounder technique. Could visualize him as a long term test number three. With Pandey, it remains to be seen - at best he could a test number five, I would guess.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli actually has a much better FC record than Pandey. Pandey is about a year younger though.

As of now Kohli is by far the better batsman with much the sounder technique. Could visualize him as a long term test number three. With Pandey, it remains to be seen - at best he could a test number five, I would guess.
Not sure about much better .

It is better yes, but Karnataka play on some really **** pitches in FC cricket ,specially this season. And it is only a difference of 6 in about 28 matches for both.

At the moment Kohli is better ,no doubt in all forms and should be ahead of Pandey but Pandey is at his best in the longer form of the game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He is no where near as bad Jono makes him out to be.
Never said he's ****. Just said that he's not even close to Kohli. Said it last year and the last 6-9 months have just confirmed I was right. Suggestions that he is better than Kohli in any format of the game are just wrong.

Pandey is young and has time to improve. Can play a cracking knock as well. But any talk of representation in national colours is crazy.

Borges

International Regular
Not sure about much better

It is better yes, but Karnataka play on some really **** pitches in FC cricket ,specially this season. And it is only a difference of 6 in about 28 matches for both.

At the moment Kohli is better ,no doubt in all forms and should be ahead of Pandey but Pandey is at his best in the longer form of the game.
Agree that Pandey is far more suited to the longer form of the game. But FC record aside, it is fairly obvious that Kohli is clearly technically better than Pandey. That is not to say that Pandey can't polish his technique; but he needs to work on it before he can be compared with Kohli.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Pujara got dropped too today for RCB for Kaif. **** decision if i may add.

But still Pujara >> Kohli for mine in terns of Test Cricket.

Not much can be read in from the IPL in terms of the longer form of the game.

Laxman has also gotten dropped for Kochi,remember.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Never said he's ****. Just said that he's not even close to Kohli. Said it last year and the last 6-9 months have just confirmed I was right. Suggestions that he is better than Kohli in any format of the game are just wrong.

Pandey is young and has time to improve. Can play a cracking knock as well. But any talk of representation in national colours is crazy.
Yep.Agree.

But Pandey for me is still very talented and will make it to the national team sooner or later.

Considering the likes of Saurabh Tiwary also played for India.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tiwary should just stay in the IPL and earn millions tbh. Don't want him anywhere near the Indian ODI team, let alone tests. If he ever plays test cricket it'll be a joke.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tiwary should just stay in the IPL and earn millions tbh. Don't want him anywhere near the Indian ODI team, let alone tests. If he ever plays test cricket it'll be a joke.
I agree.

Was pointing out that since he has played for India already in ODI's ,Pandey is a better batsman than him.

Last edited: