• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of Virat Kohli?

Blaze 18

Banned
I first saw Virat Kohli in that Champions Trophy match against Pakistan last year, and I remember he played an atrocious shot to get out to Shahid Afridi. I was extremely disappointed, as I had expected a lot more from him.

He has matured considerably since then : he is more patient and more assured in his strokeplay. He will only get better with time and experience. I reckon he is close to making the test side. If Suresh Raina fails in South Africa - which is quite possible, then we may well see Virat Kohli taking his place.

Shri

Mr. Glass
No, just no. Players like Pujara, Vijay, Mukund, Rahane etc should have their chance if Raina fails. Kohli will surely get his chance in the next 4 years when people start retiring. The others mentioned could never make the side like Amol Muzumdar and could be forgotten.

Blaze 18

Banned
I agree on Cheteshwar Pujara and Murali Vijay, but I am not sure about the others. Are Mukund and Rahane any good ? I am not an avid follower of Indian domestic cricket, so I have little idea as to how good or bad they are.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why on Earth should Mukund be ahead of Kohli?

Rahane maybe, but I still disagree. I can see an argument for it though.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To everyone who has said something along the lines of "Another young Indian player who can't play quality pace", the quality of pace bowling in Indian domestic cricket is pretty..average atm and there is no way a player fresh from Ranji can immediately start playing guys like Steyn, Morkel, Anderson etc on a consistent basis without having any trouble. However it doesn't mean after a while they won't adapt and change their game and their technique. Not every player comes into the side as a full package.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To everyone who has said something along the lines of "Another young Indian player who can't play quality pace", the quality of pace bowling in Indian domestic cricket is pretty..average atm and there is no way a player fresh from Ranji can immediately start playing guys like Steyn, Morkel, Anderson etc on a consistent basis without having any trouble. However it doesn't mean after a while they won't adapt and change their game and their technique. Not every player comes into the side as a full package.
Exactly what I say.. If you have the talent, you will figure it out soon enough. The reason why I felt blokes like Badri and say Pujara should be persisted with... And even Raina for that matter.

Last edited:

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Very much so. He's a really talented player who should have a big part to play in Indian Cricket. Too bad he seems like a complete douchebag though.

I prefer to call it attitude and I love it. IMO sports should be players all just going at each other with everything they have, not dignified people with proper manners.So the more douches the better.

Anyway I think this guy has the potential to be a future great.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The Numbers Game: Kohli and his ODI exploits | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

A stand-out features of Kohli's short career so far has been the manner in which he has handled pressure, especially the pressure of run-chases. In the 23 innings when he has batted second in ODIs, Kohli averages 60.35, at a strike rate of almost 84. Some of his most memorable performances have come when India have been confronted with tough run-chases: at Eden Gardens against Sri Lanka a year back, India were struggling at 23 for 2 chasing 316, when Kohli scored 107 and combined with Gambhir to take India to victory. A couple of months back against Australia he was at it again, scoring 118 - his highest ODI score - to help India overcome a run-chase of 290 after they'd lost their first two wickets for only 35. Of the four centuries he has scored, three have come when batting second.

WAFG!

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
I think the kid should start playing tests. He is a winner and a future captain. I had a chance to see him in U19 WC and comes across as a focussed cricketer and an able leader. His attitude can be mistaken for over confidence and arrogance but I think he's just awesome. Should last the distance unlike the T20 gorged Yuvrajs.