• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies 2005 Domestic Cricket

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rounding up some performances that caught my eye on day four...

Chanderpaul 138 not out.
Reon King 21-4-40-4. Good that he's finally among the wickets again.
Devon Smith 1.
Deighton Butler 29.3-9-81-5 and 30 not out.
Tino Best 34 to top score for Barbados.
Dwayne Smith 33.
Odean Brown 3/74.
Dave Bernard jr. 3/29.
Daren Powell 2/37.
Shane Jeffers 128.
Runako Morton 27.
Wilden Cornwall 85. Threw away his wicket en route to another century this season.
Ridley Jacobs 38 not out.
Omari Banks 14 not out.
Merv Dillon 12-4-25-0. Word is he bowled extremely well today. Had a catch dropped off his bowling.
Dave Mohammed 36-9-103-1. Got heavily criticized for bowling flat.
Amit Jaggernauth 38-4-144-4.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Gone to watch Trinidad's crucial game Mr M? Sounds like Tino and Collymore are causing problems early on, but Tino's since gone off injured?

From what I can gather, Bennett has been "rested" again. This strikes me as the Barbados selectors showing insularity in picking players - Best, Edwards, Collymore - who are more likely to gain selection to the West Indies team rather than picking purely on merit. Of course, I haven't seen Bennett bowl, so maybe it's simply a case of him not yet being good enough to make the team when everyone's available. Either way, his absence is a disappointment.

Guyana are under the cosh against the Leewards - 50-odd for 3 - so the pressure's on T&T.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Bennett is quite good. He's pacy and moves the ball. Best and Edwards are also talented bowlers though and need some sort of exposure. It's a difficult situation when you have the likes of Bradshaw, Best, Bennett, Benn, Collymore, Collins, Edwards available for selection.

Didn't get a chance to go to the game today and doubt I'll be able to at all. :( Tishan Maraj played a lovely half-century innings earlier, then got out to a poor shot. Ricardo Powell played for a good aggressive half-century, then got out to a ridiculous shot. Denesh Ramdin played a good promising innings, then got out to a poor shot. Ah, West Indies cricket...

Richard Kelly playing well though. Fidel Edwards bowling beautfully though. The ball being sent down at 90+ mph and swinging. He's actually getting it in good areas too.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Barbados scored 175 runs before lunch!
Sherwin Campbell got 51, Dale Richards scored 71 off 81 balls with 12 fours. Dwayne Smith scored 31.
Ryan Hinds looks good on 19.
Mohammed got 2 wickets, Kelly took 1, Jaggernauth took 1. Dave Mohammed bowling very well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Gayle with a 102-ball half-century for Jamaica. Hinds got 44 earlier. Pagon scored 33.

Guyana 413/8 at lunch. Shivnarine Chanderpaul 170 not out. He's certainly doing his chances of a Test call much good. ;) McGarrell scored 84.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Dillon bowling really well. Pacy, aggressive, sharp bouncers.
Ryan Hinds 55 not out.
Richard Kelly bowling some top quality yorkers. The commentators are comparing him to a young Flintoff. No pressure then.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Guyana 448 all out.
Chanderpaul 194.
Jeffers dropped in King's first over.

Guyana 162/2.
Gayle 64 not out.
Samuels 15 not out.

Glenn Stiemens

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm guessing this is the best place to ask this (as those reading/posting in this thread will be most knowledgable about WI domestic cricket).

Could someone fill me in on the basics of the Regional Tournament and Carib Beer Cup - such as points scoring systems, times of play, and any other special rules such as which grounds finals are played on etc?

Cheers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Glenn Stiemens said:
I'm guessing this is the best place to ask this (as those reading/posting in this thread will be most knowledgable about WI domestic cricket).

Could someone fill me in on the basics of the Regional Tournament and Carib Beer Cup - such as points scoring systems, times of play, and any other special rules such as which grounds finals are played on etc?

Cheers.
Carib Beer Series
No result/Draw with 1st innings undecided - 4 points each
Draw with 1st innings points - 6 to winner, 3 to loser
Loss with 1st innings points - 4 points
Win without 1st innings points - 12 points
Outright win (ie win with 1st innings points) - 12 to winner, 0 to loser

The teams play each other twice per season (a home and away fixture). Play typically begins at 10 am, breaks for lunch at 12 noon, returns from lunch at 12:40 pm, breaks for tea at 2:45 pm, and returns from tea at 3 pm. Play in the final session continues until various times in the different islands depending on the light remaining. For example, in Trinidad it would typically be until the 90 overs are completed, or until light runs out, around 5:30pm.

One game is played per week, with games typically starting on Fridays, but do occasionally begin on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

The Champion of the tournament is the team which finishes on top in the standings, but the top two teams compete in the Challenge Final. The final is played at the ground of the top ranked team heading into it I believe.

Regional OD Tournament
Uncertain about this, but I believe it is...
Win - 4 points
Bonus Point - 1 point

The bonus point is most likely calculated as per the norm.

What's the game forum site? I've misplaced the link.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Jamaica 385/4 at stumps.
Gayle run out for 88.
Samuels 135 not out.
Baugh jr. 76 not out.

Hinds got a century. Unsure as to the exact score.
T&T 47/3. Ganga injured and unable to bat.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Carib Beer Series

The Champion of the tournament is the team which finishes on top in the standings, but the top two teams compete in the Challenge Final. The final is played at the ground of the top ranked team heading into it I believe.
And just to add, the final is a 5-day game and the league winners only need to avoid defeat to claim the Challenge title.