• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Week 2 Selection Press Releases

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
same as last week, just a few lines about your side this week, any changes etc...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

ACT Comets Announce One Day Side

ACT manager Simon Fitzsimmons has announced a fairly expected side for the opening One Day clash of the season against Victoria at Manuka Oval. The side has 5 changes from the team that beat Northerns in the First Class match last week. In particular Q Riley, Dean Bent and Imran Tamhane who all played a big part in the 2nd XI match which was also won by the Comets. Captain Owen Cardew will bat at number Six for this match after requesting a move down the order from team officials.

The only selection drama was the wicketkeeping spot, selectors feel that young Indian keeper S Borkar isnt quite ready for the challenge for playing in WCC so we have decided to go with Vice Captain AB De Villiers. Marcus Trescothick's name did come up in selection talks however De Villiers was picked as he is considered a long term option for the club. The bowlers also came under close scruitiny during training in the past few days, M Butt and George Goff have been impressive but were unluckily left out.

Fitzsimmons had this to say on the game; "we are a young side and hoping for a good season in One Day cricket, obviously Victoria's bowling is their strength but their batting cant be under estimated, our top order is quite inexperienced at this level of cricket but they have the talent to get the job done."

The team is
1 Q Riley, 2 AB De Villiers (wk & vc), 3 S Yashpal, 4 A Louden, 5 M Ul Haq, 6 O Cardew (cap), 7 I Tamhane, 8 B Marshall, 9 D Bent, 10 M Ramage, 11 P Marlowe

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guyana name first round one day side.

Guyana manager Kyle Wright has announced his side that will face South Australia in division one of the World Club Cricket league on the weekend. Christian, Wilkes, Powar, Hammed and Nelson make way for J. Rudolph, Hemp, MacDonald, Kael and Perrera. Jenkins has been named as captain for the clash and he said he was hoping to continue the momentum they developed against Karachi druing round one of the first class competition. "I'm hoping the boys will take a lot of confidence into the match on the weekend. Hopefully we can again play as a team and come away with a win. Myself and the boys are really looking forward to the game."

The team to face South Australia is:
J, Jenkins (c), Y Satti (vc), C. Donald, J. Rudolph, O. Hemp, M. Rudolph, Z. MacDonald (wk), S. Kael, L. Perrera, D. Zulch, F e-Akbar.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Ahead of the first round of One Day matches, Yorkshire's Head Manager gave us a preview for the upcoming 'grudge match' between Mashonaland and Yorkshire.

"I feel we have a strong OD side, one that is stronger than Mashonalands, though I don't think they'll be easybeats. They showed us recently that it's not over until it's over, so I am looking forward to a highly entertaining match." Mr. Thomas said this evening.
"As club captain, Michael Dawn will lead the side in his first one day match for us. He's a class batsman and everyone, including himself, expect big things this season."

Last year, Yorkshire had an arguably worse One Day outfit compared to their First Class eleven, yet did better in the shorter form of the game.

"We have learnt from Season 6 that you don't need a line up of superstars to win matches. You need your 11 players going out and playing as a super team, instead of superstars going out and playing for their statistics. We've gained some great players in the draft and through trading in the likes of Beasley, Yashpal, Kaneria and big hitting wicket keeper Salman. They've been performing well as a team in training and I expect this will show on the weekend."

Thomas had a few people scratching their head with the announcement of the side, which oncluded just one fast bowler, and all-rounder Wilden Cornwall (average of 22) opening the batting.

"Last year we didn't have much luck with the opening position, so I've decided to try something different. Wild is no mug with the bat, and scores quickly. His job will be to go out there and get us off to a quick start and take the game away from Mashonaland.
As for the bowling...I feel the pitch will hold a bit for all the bowlers, with Gough leading the attack. Our spinners should be able to tie them down well as Mashonaland's ability to play spin is dubious. So really, it'll be a close match that we will win."

Yorkshire side to play Mashonaland (in batting order)
W Cornwall, M Salman (WK), M Dawn, W Beasley, F Yashpal, R Kripal Singh, K Agnew, W Robertson, A Dave, D Gough, D Kaneria, P Laker (12th man)

Darren Gough will take the field for Yorkshire for what may be his last season.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cush to lead from the front

The seats have been built, lights are up, the tickets have been sold, the only think left to name the side. After a warm up victory against Victoria in the four day match last week, Colts real season finally begins with a day/night one day clash with WCC power house Leicestershire Foxes. The match will be the first day night encounter at Havelock Stadium and will be the first match in charge for Lennox Cush, Colts new One Day Captain.

After some heavy recruiting in the off season to bring in Ashraf Ali, Andrew Tweedie, Pradeep Chawla, Farhan Abbasi and Shikhar Dhawan, there some big expectation at the Colts to bring home a One Day title. But Colts aren't looking that far ahead and just focusing on their first match against the Foxes, who contain two of the best OD batsmen in the world in Underwood and Riggort. To stop these two batsmen and the rest of the Foxes batting line up, Colts will rely on the vetern bowling attack lead by captain Cush with Troughton, Jones, Hitchcock and Tweedie add support. There was consideration to bring in a third spinner Murali Mudugalle, but with the early season dew the selectors went for three seamers and two spinners.

The rest of the side that Cush will lead out in the field will include:
A Ali (vc), S Butt, A Tweedie, K Andrews, P Chawla (wk), F Abbasi, S Dhawan, L Cush (c), J Troughton, P Hitchcock, P Jones

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Top Eleven Turning Out For SA

South Australia manager Håkon Mørk has decided to disregard the pacy wicket at the new Providence Stadium, Guyana, going in with an attack dominated by the club's strong spin bowlers and all-rounders. Mørk, who leads the defending OD champions, leads a side that has been roundly criticised for lack of batting strength, but, like last season, Mørk backs his bowlers to do the job, with spin twins Axelby and Binny being the key.

SA: 1 Ben Allen, 2 Yarvinder Singh, 3 Khan Rangnekar (cpt), 4 Sanjay Borde (wk), 5 Pattiyage Madurasinghe, 6 Ben Collyer, 7 Rick Stratton, 8 Henry Froggett, 9 Trevor Binny, 10 Ian Mooney, 11 Heath Axelby

andyc

Mashonaland pick expected side

Heading into what should be a fiercely contested opener against rivals Yorkshire, Mashonaland manager Andy Cameron has spoken to the media about the game and his selections.

"There's no doubt that Yorkshire are a competitive one-day side. It will definitely take a good effort from the boys to beat them, but we've got a good team lined up, with some experience and some youth in there, so it shouldbe a good close game. I can confirm that Saqlain Mushtaq will be captaining the side, and two spinners in Saqlain and Ben Joshi will be fielded."

When asked about Yorkshire's selection policies, which features Wildren Cornwall, a slogging tailender at best, opening the batting, Cameron seemed as bemused as everyone else.

"Yeah, it does seem a little odd, doesn't it? All the same, it'll be interesting to see how it goes, but I doubt we'll be seeing a very long opening partnership. But, if Yorkshire feel they have to promote tailenders to improve their chances, best of luck to them."

The manager, who isn't well known for holding back on his words, was obviously a bit displeased when a reporter mentioned Yorkshire manager Thomas' comments that 'Mashonaland's ability to play spin is dubious.'

"There really is no basis to that comment. The Mashonaland batsman have no trouble at all playing spin. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Joshi and Saqlain take quite a few this round. They're both obviously class bowlers, and they've really bonded well during the off-season training, with Mushy teaching Joshi a few things, and I'm confident that they'll form a good partnership on the field."

Mashonaland team:
K Harvey, Q Oulton, J Beasley, Q Roll, B Straw, M Travis, M Zaman+, I Bradshaw, B Joshi, S Mushtaq*, A Tudor

Veteran Mashonaland spinner Saqlain Mushtaq, who will be captaining the one day side

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Nsw Team selections

NSW manager Bugs Malone has announced his side early as both teams will travel to kent early to get used to conditions and have a squad training session on kent turf. In naming his 2 squads to make the trips the changes in the first xi are S Cook, D Quale, O Cole G Roll & R Sodji all come in for the first xi debut. Making way fro these players where S Chanderpaul who didnt even make the 2nd xi, O fry was moved down to 2nds. Called up into the 2nds was F Khan, S Crowhurst & D Sen. Kallis and Flemming both retained the captaincy roles and team morale was at a good level after ones had a comfortable win and although 2nds drew they put in a good performance.

Both teams looking for good games and hoping to get there one day campaigns under way. With no 2nd Xi manager Bugs Malone will stay there the extra 2 days whilst his 1st team come home and recover and hit the nets.

NSW 1st xi
S Cook, L Griffith, J Martin, J Kallis (c), D Quayle, R Sodhi, G Jones (wk), O Cole, I Bloom, G Roll, Q Moore.

NSW 2nd xi
A Depeiaza, O fry, C Smith, F Khan, S Flemming (c) , S Crowhurst, K Stoddard (wk), J Pierre, D sen, J Du Toit, E Parris.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
"I'm no slogger" - Cornwall

Yorkshire all rounder Wilden Cornwall hit back at the claim he was merely a "tail-end slogger."
"I think he (Andy Cameron) should get his facts straight before labelling someone like that. If he had half a brain he'd know that I have two List A centuries under my belt to go with five fities. I'm no slogger." he fumed.
"I think he's trying to throw the spotlight off the fact his batsman do have real trouble playing spin, something which will be shown this Saturday when we beat them." said Cornwall, who was asked for comment after leaving a night fitness session at Headingley tonight.

Mr. Thomas was un-available for comment.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Northerns name expected lineup

Northerns has decided to stick to the team that lost a deries against Yorkshire in a somewhat shocking performance but has decided against changes as he looks towards the teams one day opner in the low division.

Northerns First XI

1. A Holland
2. G Smith
3. T Orton
4. T Darden
5. D Dawson WK
6. U Afzaal
7. R Afridi
8. M Sharif
9. S Shah
10. N Ranjith
11. K Khan

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member

All eyes on Amjad

Lancashire named the predicted XI for the first OD fixture of the season against Mumbai. The match will mark the Lancashire debut of powerhouse allrounder Raees Amjad. The 31 year old Punjabi has the power to destroy the best bowling attacks around and his aggressive fast bowling may also prove useful. The match will also see
a debut for spinner Sanjeewa Weerakoon, whilst Zigmund 'Ziggy' Siggins and Yan Engineer are elevated to the first team for the first time following their succesful second team outing.

The bowling attack must be hoping for a better performance than in the FC game, with Freeman expected to recover some form. The middle order of Midlane, Amjad, Anderton just oozes class, but Mumbai will provide a very stern test.

Lancashire side:

Aronstam
Truscott
Midlane*
Amjad
Anderton
Siggins+
Reza
Diawn
Freeman
Weerakon
Engineer

Amjad's steely exterior belies a jovial character, teammates describe him as "a prolific practical joker' but opposition bowler may struggle to see the funny side if he hits form.

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year

3 Rookies to make debut for ACT 2nd XI

Manager Brendon Goff has today named 3 rookies to make their debut for the club in their opening One Day clash against Victoria at Manuka on the weekend..
Steve Smith, Mathew Rainey and Asafa Powell will all begin their careers against the victorians, with manager Brendon Goff saying all 3 have impressed in recent weeks...

In other team news, Sanjay Borkar has been named ahead of seasoned campaigner Macus Trescothick to don the gloves, whilst Ricky Ponting will captain the team after failing to make the 1st XI..

The side is as follows:

C Williams
P Conran
G Eaves
S Borkar+
R Ponting*
M Phadke
M Rainey®
S Smith®
D Withe
A Hasan
A Powell®

ACT Media ©2006

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member

Surrey Seconds Back Youth!

The Surrey Second XI today backed their youth system, un-veilling all 5 rookies in their OD Opening Day Eleven.

The lineup will look like this:

David Page (R)
Sammy De Bruyn
Michael Buxton (R)
James Hamblin
Kevin Straw
Sorin Bissex+ (R)
Michael Dighton
Ian Ridding (R)
Jason Bennett*
Alex Benjamin (R)
Abdul Mohammed

Buxton cuts in a pre-season match. Mohendas Shrinivas is evading the ball in the foreground.

Last edited:

Matteh

Week 2's match gives us the first look at the Karachi One Day lineup. Main aim for this week will be to post a half decent total, as the batting has failed us in the first FC games despite some strong bowling. Stars of the team are M Dhoni and K Woodcock and a big performance is expected from both of them.

M Manhus
M Jenkins
M Dhoni +
J Cooke *
Y Cole
P Saradesi
J Louw
K Woodcock
P Norman
P Leigh
J Pradeep

Cloete

International Captain
Tamil Nadu look strong as Surrey avoids attention

In a clear move to draw attention away from their upcoming 1st XI game, the Surrey manager Jamee Gray issued a press conference on the 2nd XI without comemntign on his 1st XI's upcoming game. Gray started the conference by speakign about the 2nd XI and when asked about the 1st XI he replied with, "I'm out of time. Thanks for your attendance."

Cloete, TN's manager, described the Surrey manager as "scared" as he revealed the powerhouse line-up for the opening round of the WCC One Day season. The reported odds for the clash had TN at 1.24 to win while Gray's Surrey were aying 3.59. The clash is clearly out of proportion and Cloete described Surrey as "out of their depth."

The following 11 TN players (in batting order) were named by Cloete to take the field against the unfancied English team:

1. D Jadhav
2. D Cowe (C)
3. R Paradkar (WK)
4. Z Birch
5. V Wadekar
6. M Chapman
7. W Jefferspn
8. I Chinyoka
9. O Henshaw
10. B Guy
11. R Powell

cricketboy29

International Regular
Queensland manager Gaurav Nayak was visibly confident going into the first round of ODs. 'This is our better form, and we'll be seeking to wipe out the memory of that 5 run loss against Mashonaland with a big win against Karachi'
'I believe my bowling attack of Ali, Mooney, Tully, Warasconi and Hopes, can rock the Karachi batting order and really tear them to shreds.'
'Batting has depth as well, with Niazi, Bundela, Owen and Khan depended upon to give some good performances.'

The XI will be:
D.Bundela
B.Khan
L.Owen
M.Niazi
K.van Wyk
W.Phadkar
A.Warasconi
J.Hopes
P.Mooney
K.Ali
W.Tully

cometer

State Regular

Colts management make fools of themselves before opening round clash

Today, the Colts manager got mixed ideas about the Leicestershire batting lineup. According to them Leicestershire have 2 of the best batsmen in Underwood and Riggort. There is infact no player called Riggort and must have been mistaken by the captain of the side Piggott who averages well in excess of 50 in the one day form. Both have shown stunning records in the past and Leicestershire press caught up with both of them in seperate interviews before the big day.

Piggott was spoken to about the lineup and what he felt about the match and the possible doctoring of the pitch to favour spin bowler Cush.

" Firstly , our side is our strongest side on the pitch and I am really looking forward to seeing how the team performs. There has been a few changes to the side from last season where we completed the second one day title in a row, and we hope we have built an even more competitive side capable of competing against the best in the top division. It is an honour to be captaining this team at such a high level of the game. Personally, I hope to continue my form from the past two seasons and help the team and I am sure everyone else is looking forward to the season ahead. Now when you say the pitch was doctored to favour spinners, I am not allowed to say incase of any thoughts I say causes problems in both camps and affects the outcome of the match, but i will say I am not worried about the pitch outcome, as we have 3 genuine pace bowlers and 2 top quality spinners and if they want to create a pitch that favours them well it will also favour us. It should be a close game whatever the result and we will be out to try and win it."

The second interview was conducted to Underwood on comments he was a one season wonder.

" I don't believe that those comments about me are entirely accurate. I had a blinder of a debut season with 5 50's and 5 100's and i believe i am quite capable of achieving those heights again. Last season despite not making anywhere near the same amount of runs, I still firmly contributed to the team and that is what matters most. Whether I, or someone else in the team scores big runs ultimately doesn't matter as its the contribution by each and every player in the squad throughout the season that decides how we, as a team fare. Despite this I would hope that I am able to start on the right foot and help guide Leicestershire to a win over the fancied Colts and will definately be going out there to achieve just that. "

The manager of Leicestershire also stated that whatever the outcome may be, Leicestershire will be competitive and will hope to stay in the top division for as long as they are able to, and despite not expecting to take the title , doesn't discount that as a slight possibility even against sides such as Colts and the more clear favourites Tamil Nadu. Bring on the opening round! :)

The side is full strength

U Lowe
C Vaughan
I Underwood
R Piggott
F Platt
K Manzoor (wk)
T Priyadarshana
U Sammels
R Perrera
I Gallage
R Ezard

Last edited:

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Tasmania side to play Free State

S Elahi
K Bulman
V Chandrasekh
S Raina
M Sinclair (wk) (c)
S Kotak
L Emerson
R Dhammika
M Rice
M Lampard
L Bradley

Tasmania named what will probably be a regular OD line up for them to play Worcestershire. Keeper Matthew Sincalir leads the side, which will take on an Free State XI which has not yet named. Sinclair was actively involved in the selection, and was confident they'd do well: "This is probably our strongest side. There's a couple of places which may be up for grabs, but we'll have to see how those pan out. I think it's a good line up, with much improved batting from last season and a similarly strong bowling attack. One slight worry is that we probably won't get many runs from the tail, but hopefully that won't matter."