• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was this player fundamentally ignored because of pace?

Jumno

U19 Captain
In the 90s, a player called Bicknell was ignored by English selectors, despite doing extremely well at county level, they ignored him again and again because of his pace.

So they think at international test level, pace is everything.

I could be wrong, however I heard this during a chat show etc.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
I assume you're talking about Martin Bicknell as the only other Bicknell I could find on Cricinfo was Martin's brother Darren, who was a batsman.

He didn't do particularly well in his first two tests (4 wickets at 65.75), so that may have been why he was overlooked rather than because of his pace.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
There was a lot of chopping and changing in that era. The mainstays would have been Gough, Caddick, Malcolm and Cork.

Many bowlers were given a go but discarded almost immediately. The selectors were a joke.

Archer6K

U19 12th Man
In the 90s, a player called Bicknall was ignored by English selectors, despite doing extremely well at county level, they ignored him again and again because of his pace.

So they think at international test level, pace is everything.

I could be wrong, however I heard this during a chat show etc.
There are lots of good County bowlers right now as well who don’t get selected, presumably because they aren’t quick enough.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
He was a very effective performer throughout the 90s for Surrey and it is odd that he did not get more of a chance given all of the chopping and changing in that decade. His career was unusual in that it consisted of two tests early on and two tests right at the end with ten years in between.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
The obsession with pace really began in the early 2000s when Duncan Fletcher was coach. It was a downside of what was otherwise a much more successful era than the preceding 15 years.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not quite sure where Saj went wrong, he had everything a top class pace bowler needs, but never looked likely to fulfil his promise
Well akschually, he didn't have one extremely important thing - accuracy. And with that action, probably never was going to.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Ealham, McGrath, the former Surrey all rounder I forgot his name, he is running his own academy. Irani. Tudor who I felt had genuine pace. Fleming, Headly, Croft.

Bicknell played no test for 10 years in between tests! Despite doing well for Surrey. I heard from a video chat he was largely ignored due to his pace.

Very unlucky.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
This was the match in which Bicknell made his debut.

When you look at our bowlers in that match it's easy to see why Australia were constantly hammering us back then.

If it wasn't bad enough opening with McCague and Illott, we had Gooch and Thorpe as 5th and 6th bowlers.

Look at how many overs the main bowlers bowled. Bicknell bowled 50 in his sole innings on debut.

Extraordinary looking back now.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He didn't do particularly well in his first two tests (4 wickets at 65.75), so that may have been why he was overlooked rather than because of his pace.
Yeah he got destroyed by a Top 6 of Slater, Taylor, Boon, Waughs and Border. Sold up a river despite being one of the best bowlers in county cricket and being able to bat.

Kirkut

International Regular
There was a lot of chopping and changing in that era. The mainstays would have been Gough, Caddick, Malcolm and Cork.

Many bowlers were given a go but discarded almost immediately. The selectors were a joke.
Is it true that English cricket in the 90s was very county-centric and international games were not treated equally important?