• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Healy the last great wicket keeper ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd wager every single wicket-keeper ever would disagree with you regarding the difficulty of keeping to a bowler who spins it as much as MacGill.
So in other words, it's not about how good, it's about how much spin.
You say for starters, so I hope the rest of your arguments are better, because that's one of the poorest arguments I've ever seen you, or any other non-troll, advance. ;)
So having to face someone for 34 overs is more difficult than for 10? :wacko:

Other reasons it's easier in ODIs pertain to things like leg-side wide rules, different ways batsmen are going to bat, and different ways bowlers are going to bowl.

Matt79

Global Moderator
So in other words, it's not about how good, it's about how much spin.
For a keeper the spin would be one of the killers. Its different from facing a bowler as a batsman - MacGill's occasional inaccuracy would actually be a killer for the keepers. The spin is only one factor, but for someone keeping to MacGill its a big factor whereas for someone keeping to a Boje or a Giles, its one significant issue less to deal with. Therefore - big spinners are in general harder to keep to.

So having to face someone for 34 overs is more difficult than for 10? :wacko:

Other reasons it's easier in ODIs pertain to things like leg-side wide rules, different ways batsmen are going to bat, and different ways bowlers are going to bowl
Ok, I concede that the fatigue factor could play a part, although a ten over spell is well and truly enough time for a spinner like Hogg to "work" a keeper over. The restrictions of legside lines woould also help - that's not one of the worst arguments ever. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For a keeper the spin would be one of the killers. Its different from facing a bowler as a batsman - MacGill's occasional inaccuracy would actually be a killer for the keepers. The spin is only one factor, but for someone keeping to MacGill its a big factor whereas for someone keeping to a Boje or a Giles, its one significant issue less to deal with. Therefore - big spinners are in general harder to keep to.
Don't disagree with a word. Nothing I said, TBH, had anything to do with saying "Boucher's as good as \ better than Gilchrist". Purely that Gilchrist had kept to 1, and only 1, truly excellent spinner in his career.

I wouldn't have taken any umbridge to Sameer's original statement if I had been talking about wicketkeepers. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, it's based on similarity. :p It's also part of an older chain of posts which I retained despite newer information coming to light. :D

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
I for one would be interested in reading - and probably contributing - to that thread. :)
I never saw enough of Hadlee's batting to really make a good judgement of that, but based on stats and reputation, I'd probably rate it slightly below Flower's keeping, so I see your point.

My argument was more in response to your comment regarding Flintoff, Kallis and Pollock being very good at one discipline but just handy at the other as opposed to say Imran, and the mirroring group of wicket keeper-batsmen. I think Flower fits in better with the Kallis/Pollock group, rather than the Botham/Imran group of players who were right up there with the best in the world in each discipline at one stage or another in their careers. As I said, I haven't seen a lot of Hadlee's batting, but I'd be tempted to put him with the Kallis/Pollock types as well based on stats and reputation. Probably best saved for another thread though.
Well Imran yes.....Botham was a good bowler and a handy batsman..and overrated in Engalnd IMHO

bond21

Banned
wow keeping for giles....keeping for kumble....i thought spinners spun the ball.

gilchrist and healy kept to warne, greatest spin bowler ever. MacGill is probably the most unlucky dude in Australian cricket. If he was in a different era than Warne, he would most likely have played his whole career for the national side. His average and strike rate is actually better than shane warne's at certain grounds in australia.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
One of the toughest bowlers to keep to EVER has to be Murali. Wonder why no Sri Lankan keepers ever enter a debate for the best gloveman ?

Matt79

Global Moderator
One of the toughest bowlers to keep to EVER has to be Murali. Wonder why no Sri Lankan keepers ever enter a debate for the best gloveman ?
Fair point - that's why I rate Sangakkara above Flower as a keeper-batsman.

bond21

Banned
Sangakarra is certainly the 2nd best wicket keeper batsman in the world. He is a class keeper.

But geez england picks batsman who can keep basically.

Geraint Jones was a shocker, he was an alright batsman but he was terrible behind the stumps. giles and panesar shouldnt bother trying to get edges cause jones just drops them like hotcakes.

theyve been through 3 keepers in about 12 months, jones, that moron nixon now some other guy.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sangakarra is certainly the 2nd best wicket keeper batsman in the world. He is a class keeper.

But geez england picks batsman who can keep basically.

Geraint Jones was a shocker, he was an alright batsman but he was terrible behind the stumps. giles and panesar shouldnt bother trying to get edges cause jones just drops them like hotcakes.

theyve been through 3 keepers in about 12 months, jones, that moron nixon now some other guy.
Haha, you pay a lot of attention don't you?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't rate Sangakkara that high for 2 reasons:

1) His average when he actually keeps is only 42.

2) His record is inflated quite a bit by his efforts against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

Last edited: