• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was 2016 South Africa tour at home the biggest loss for Australia in recent years?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was one of the most unlikely losses for Australia at home for sure. But I felt there was no way England will win that 2010-11 Ashes in Australia either, so.........
I expected us to win that series, was confident. Shocked by the SA one and flabbergasted by this India one given all the problems they had to overcome.

Just think back a few weeks and people were asking if this was the greatest Aussie attack of all time. Felt it was ridiculous at the time and looks even more stupid now.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just think back a few weeks and people were asking if this was the greatest Aussie attack of all time. Felt it was ridiculous at the time and looks even more stupid now.
Haha, who said that? I mean, Cummins would make just about any Aus side throughout history, but he'd probably be the only one picked for the Aus team at it's peak around the the turn of the millenium.

OverratedSanity

Haha, who said that? I mean, Cummins would make just about any Aus side throughout history, but he'd probably be the only one picked for the Aus team at it's peak around the the turn of the millenium.
Hazelwood's better than Gillespie imo. But yea

flibbertyjibber

Look back at social media, it is there. Anyone who claims any Aussie attack is better than one containing McGrath and Warne is an idiot.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
It was definitely being pushed in the tabloid media after Adelaide.

Even post-Adelaide, it should've been noted how little series-winning success this group of bowlers (whether 3 or 4 were playing) had overseas and that's what should count as the greatest achievement of Warne, McGrath and Co was they won everywhere.

Slifer

International Captain
Plenty of people a few weeks back proclaimed this oz attack as the best in the last 20 years or so. I said they were inferior to McWarne and the RSA attacks of recent vintage ( steyn, Philander, morkel + any 4th bowler). Now don't get me wrong, this attack is great but people were making it seem like they were the best thing since slice bread. India's 3rd attack string bowling attack matched them on their own turf...drops mic

vcs

If we are using a handful of failures to defend healthy 4th innings targets/bowl teams out (Headingley, Sydney, Brisbane) to indict this attack, then I'll point out that McGrath/Warne also had a few such occurrences (Lara 153*). Steyn and Philander have failed on a few occasions (against Australia in 2011 and Kusal Perera). Best way to assess the bowlers is through their individual stats and they're pretty elite, bar, of course, Lyon who's average or just above.

If the criticism is that the attack is delivering much less than the sum of its parts, yeah that's fair, and it's more of a coaching/captaincy criticism and not the members of the attack themselves.

srbhkshk

International Captain
McGrath ~= Cummins (McGrath is better but not by much)
Gillespie ~= Hazlewood (Haze is better but not by much)
Lee =< Starc (Lee never bowled with the Pink ball though and Starc can be absolute trash when he feels like that)
Warne >>> Lyon (Basically, the whole difference. But a massive difference)

OverratedSanity

McGrath ~= Cummins (McGrath is better but not by much)
Gillespie ~= Hazlewood (Haze is better but not by much)
Lee =< Starc (Lee never bowled with the Pink ball though and Starc can be absolute trash when he feels like that)
Warne >>> Lyon (Basically, the whole difference. But a massive difference)
tbf against India Lyon is streets ahead

Slifer

International Captain
If we are using a handful of failures to defend healthy 4th innings targets/bowl teams out (Headingley, Sydney, Brisbane) to indict this attack, then I'll point out that McGrath/Warne also had a few such occurrences (Lara 153*). Steyn and Philander have failed on a few occasions (against Australia in 2011 and Kusal Perera). Best way to assess the bowlers is through their individual stats and they're pretty elite, bar, of course, Lyon who's average or just above.

If the criticism is that the attack is delivering much less than the sum of its parts, yeah that's fair, and it's more of a coaching/captaincy criticism and not the members of the attack themselves.
McWarne failed to defend 300+ one time "away" from home and afaik, that was a one time thing. For the last two tests, this Oz attack looked like it had no clue how to bowl out India who were missing their alpha batsman at "home". Again, this Oz attack is great but after the 36, some people on here got wayyy too carried away. I said they were just about on the same level as recent Rsa attacks or a little below. As a matter of fact, a full strength Oz attack probably isn't even the best current attack. That would have to be India.

vcs

Yea let's hold on the historical comparisons but it's a great attack especially for home conditions. They can excel on Australian seaming roads as well as the England/SA conditions with plenty of lateral movement.

Australia's batting lineup left first innings runs out there in Sydney as well as Brisbane, and in the 2nd innings Brisbane also a "normal" Aussie batting lineup would most likely have converted an 89/0 start to 350/3 or whatever, and here they were facing an attack of absolute n00bs to boot. So they're the ones to blame here. They had first innings leads in both games but not big enough leads to put the game to bed.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Plenty of people a few weeks back proclaimed this oz attack as the best in the last 20 years or so. I said they were inferior to McWarne and the RSA attacks of recent vintage ( steyn, Philander, morkel + any 4th bowler). Now don't get me wrong, this attack is great but people were making it seem like they were the best thing since slice bread. India's 3rd attack string bowling attack matched them on their own turf...drops mic
Correction, outbowled. We got 20 wickets.

_00_deathscar

International Regular

Bingo. Apart from the Bumrah/Cummins comparison (Cummins ahead but you could at least make a reasonable argument they're both at that very, very top level), the Aussie bowlers sound/look better on paper - because on the other side of the equation, you've got Ishant Sharma, whom people always associate with being the pre 2015 or whatever Ishant.
But the Indian line up generally bowls better together as a unit when they're all playing together (Bumrah + Ishant/Shami/Yadav). And then you've got Ashwin + Jadeja...