• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne vs Steyn (Test bowling)

Greater Test bowler?

• Dale Steyn

• Shane Warne

Results are only viewable after voting.

subshakerz

International Coach
The only thing I'll interject is this, if I'm facing an atg batting lineup like Australia and India had in the 2000s, given a choice of Warne or Steyn, I'm going with Steyn. We can argue stats til we're blue in the face but my gut tells me I can see Warne being ripped apart by either lineup more often and more easily than Steyn. Why does that matter? Because in these comparison situations, me personally, I'm considering how either player would do vs an atg lineup in relatively neutral conditions.
Yes. Of course this matters because we are looking at the ceiling in terms of damage/effectiveness either player is capable of.

subshakerz

International Coach
And peak Ponting, Clarke in Aus 2008. Warne was abjectly miserable against great players of spin
Warne ended up on the worse end against Malik, Sidhu, Tendulkar, Lara, KP and others over the course of a career.

Steyn on the other hand, while taken apart at times, overall held his own against the best bats of his era.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Warne ended up on the worse end against Malik, Sidhu, Tendulkar, Lara, KP and others over the course of a career.

Steyn on the other hand, while taken apart at times, overall held his own against the best bats of his era.
I find this sort of cherrypicking pointless and analytically unsound

ma1978

International 12th Man
You might but we care how bowlers do against the highest quality bats against their discipline.
Good use of the “Royal We”

Your comment is purely conjectural with no an analytic basis annd even if it had an annalytic basis, why does it matter whether Steyn was taken apart by high quality bats or low quality bats. He was taken apart (as has every bowler with a long enough career). His average shows it didn’t happen too often and even if it did, he had enough high moments

Similar point w Warne. He dominated enough top bats and ocassionally he didnt. Whether that’s because he wasn’t good enough or sample size who knows, what we do know is he has 700 wickets at an exceptional average for a soinner

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I find this sort of cherrypicking pointless and analytically unsound
How is it cherry picking? I rate Warne literally one place below Steyn and an undisputed top tier ATG. But it wasn't just Lara and Sachin, every competent player of spin performed fairly well vs him and Murali.

subshakerz

International Coach
Good use of the “Royal We”

Your comment is purely conjectural with no an analytic basis annd even if it had an annalytic basis, why does it matter whether Steyn was taken apart by high quality bats or low quality bats. He was taken apart (as has every bowler with a long enough career). His average shows it didn’t happen too often and even if it did, he had enough high moments

Similar point w Warne. He dominated enough top bats and ocassionally he didnt. Whether that’s because he wasn’t good enough or sample size who knows, what we do know is he has 700 wickets at an exceptional average for a soinner
Except he didnt when it comes to top spin players.