• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne vs Steyn (Test bowling)

Greater Test bowler?

• Dale Steyn

• Shane Warne

Results are only viewable after voting.

subshakerz

International Coach
It’s not silly, Steyn was a genius in Aus, and a big matchwinner for his team. WPM of 5, fantastic SR and averaged 28(which would get retrospectively adjusted to 24/25). And he was good in Eng as well, outperforming Broad and Anderson by a huge margin and turning up when required(2012). And we know he was amazing at home and in India. Imran was amazing at home, WI, but only good in Aus and Eng. And Imran’s home record will not grant him any plus points in this comparison, since Steyn already proved himself in in SC like tracks against batting that was godly on them.
We don't need to rehash the differences but suffice it to say I don't see how someone can look at both their records and deduce that one is notably better than the other. And my point on flat tracks is simply the double standard we apply to Steyn vs others.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I would question this though, because didn't Warne and Murali somewhat struggle vs the ATGs they faced, especially in comparison to pacers?
And Steyn didn’t?
Then why didn’t SA beat IND in 2010 and 2010/11 ?
They also failed to beat ENG at home in 2009/10

If not for Philander SA would never have got no.1 rankings

subshakerz

International Coach
And Steyn didn’t?

Except in both those examples Steyn actually won games for SA in those series. You are expecting him to win every game which is unreasonable.

Warne and Murali were outright fails in India.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Except in both those examples Steyn actually won games for SA in those series. You are expecting him to win every game which is unreasonable.

Warne and Murali were outright fails in India.
I can say the only reason he won those Tests is because IND didn’t play their full strength Team . We both are cherry picking 🍒

Slifer

International Captain
The only thing I'll interject is this, if I'm facing an atg batting lineup like Australia and India had in the 2000s, given a choice of Warne or Steyn, I'm going with Steyn. We can argue stats til we're blue in the face but my gut tells me I can see Warne being ripped apart by either lineup more often and more easily than Steyn. Why does that matter? Because in these comparison situations, me personally, I'm considering how either player would do vs an atg lineup in relatively neutral conditions.

Sunil1z

International Regular
The only thing I'll interject is this, if I'm facing an atg batting lineup like Australia and India had in the 2000s, given a choice of Warne or Steyn, I'm going with Steyn. We can argue stats til we're blue in the face but my gut tells me I can see Warne being ripped apart by either lineup more often and more easily than Steyn. Why does that matter? Because in these comparison situations, me personally, I'm considering how either player would do vs an atg lineup in relatively neutral conditions.
So, why wasn’t Warne taken apart in AUS vs World 11 game 1D4F4C79-D51E-4B47-B61D-A1781CBE36C2.jpeg7E6954D8-B269-48AF-A8A8-80489B9161A3.jpeg

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
And Steyn didn’t?

And beating India at home is insanely. Warne didn’t do well vs Ind in 2004 as well when his greatest nemesis was in worst form