• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne and Mcgrath retiring after the 5th Ashes test!!!

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Gadzooks... I always thought Warne would leave as soon as there was someone who had proven themselves at state level to replace him. No spinner really has. Gadzooks.

I really couldn't care about McGrath though and think it will have a positive impact on the Aussie team as in his case Stu Clarke has proved he's the man for the job.

pasag

RTDAS
Burgey said:
This is a sad day. Channel 9 had the story on Warney and also mentioned McGrath in the same piece.
What a couple of players - >1300 test wickets between them.
Still, will make my day 4 tickets to Sydney pretty valuable.
Can't believe how heavy-hearted I am about it, despite knowing it was coming sooner than later.
Beat me to the front page update there, deleted mine, yours was much better anyways :)

Laurrz

International Debutant
Slats4ever said:
I really couldn't care about McGrath though and think it will have a positive impact on the Aussie team as in his case Stu Clarke has proved he's the man for the job.
i disagree

anyways i have a feeling McGrath will be retiring from TEST cricket

he'll still be in the World Cup which makes sense fingers crossed

can u imagine.. Lee and Clark opening... what if they get smashed? ive seen Clark get smashed numerous times in ODI's [NZ, South Africa, KL] and Pigeon rarely rarely gets hit out of an attack... and see what Flintoff did to em both... then Ponting put McGrath and Warne in and things looked a heap better.....

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Damn :( Such a surprise and a shame. You knew it would happen but you would hope not for a while yet :( McGrath and Warne are two of the best ever, and will leave a massive gap in the Aussie side.

Thanks for the memories, guys. :)

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Oh dear....

I'm having 'Lillee - Marsh - Chappell, G.S' flashbacks......

I hope the proceeding years are not the same as then....:-O

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow. We're really unprepared for Warne's retirement, too, with no real decent spinners coming through the ranks, although I hear there's another Victorian spinner on the rise, left-armer.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Weird, I'm still not seeing a thing on McGrath on either Sky News or the Fairfax/Murdoch press.

In what context was it on Channel 10? I flicked over and they were in the middle of some Laguna Beach crap.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Robertinho said:
Wow. We're really unprepared for Warne's retirement, too, with no real decent spinners coming through the ranks, although I hear there's another Victorian spinner on the rise, left-armer.
i think u mean Western Aussie

Heal?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Butterteeth said:
I'm having 'Lillee - Marsh - Chappell, G.S' flashbacks......

I hope the proceeding years are not the same as then....:-O
Hmmm.

The 84 side didn't have a Stuart Clark, a Ponting, a Hussey to steer it through.

The point sure is a valid one though.

Let's hope the structures are in place to make it less painful. Another big factor in that era was that the Windies were still far & away the dominat team, and shortly after those three left the side sufered greatly through a rebel SA tour, losing experienced players like Hughes and Alderman and up and comers like McCurdy, Haysman, Rackemann.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Still can't find anything on McGrath. Anyone got a link?

The decision to retire now has a lot to do with the fact that there's no test cricket for 11 months, I'd say. Not such an issue for McGrath, but Warne would be looking at a year off and then a fair amount of test cricket before next Ashes. It was either now or 2009.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Until it's official, I'm praying it isn't true.

The sick feeling in my stomach tells me it probably is true though.