• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vote for Five Cricketers of the 2000s + 2010s

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Franklyn Rose and Mervyn Dillon didn't look bad at first either. Looked like their bowling stocks would last just a bit longer than they did.
They absolutely demolished India when we went there along with a fading Walsh and Ambrose. Dillon did carry on a bit from there but Rose totally fell off.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I honestly don't think the WI batting changed in quality too much between the retirement of Greenidge and the retirement of Chanderpaul. The bowlers and a couple of good to great batsmen between 91ish and 00 really carried the team. When Ambrose and Walsh retired it really exposed the soft underbelly that had already been there for nearly a decade.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly don't think the WI batting changed in quality too much between the retirement of Greenidge and the retirement of Chanderpaul.
????

Top 7 in Greenidge's final test (vs Aus 1991):

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Hooper
Richards
Logie
Dujon

Also a certain Brian Charles Lara had debuted vs Pakistan a few months earlier.

Top 7 in Chanderpaul's final test (vs England 2015):

Brathwaite
Hope
Darren Bravo
Samuels
Chanderpaul
Blackwood
Ramdin

stephen

????

Top 7 in Greenidge's final test (vs Aus 1991):

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Hooper
Richards
Logie
Dujon

Also a certain Brian Charles Lara had debuted vs Pakistan a few months earlier.

Top 7 in Chanderpaul's final test (vs England 2015):

Brathwaite
Hope
Darren Bravo
Samuels
Chanderpaul
Blackwood
Ramdin
Obviously the implication was after Greenidge was gone. And I had forgotten that Haynes and Richards both retired after Greenidge. But from about 92 until Lara retired the West Indies did not have a great set of batsmen. They had a couple of great batsmen and some not so great batsmen.

Look at https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...st-test-west-indies-tour-of-australia-1992-93

Haynes, Richardson and Lara

And compare the batting to

Gayle, Lara, Chanderpaul

The difference between that batting isn't big.

stephen

But you were talking about 2015 earlier, not 2006.
Fair call. But with Gayle and Chanderpaul there for much of it, plus a couple of other test class batsmen, the West Indies batting was much closer to their 1992 batting in 2014 than their bowling.

The WI batting really was nothing exceptional after Viv retired, it was Ambrose and Walsh who carried the side.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We were talking about drop in Kallis' rating as ODI batsman. Here is a video to support the point I was making. When he was playing he was one of the best ODI batsman going around.

He may have been less effective when chasing a 300+ score, sure. But that happened in probably 5-10% games. Knocks like above against quality bowling were great value.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
We were talking about drop in Kallis' rating as ODI batsman. Here is a video to support the point I was making. When he was playing he was one of the best ODI batsman going around.

He may have been less effective when chasing a 300+ score, sure. But that happened in probably 5-10% games. Knocks like above against quality bowling were great value.
I agree Kallis was a very good ODI batting allrounder but the trouble with the example you gave is that he didn't kick on to a really big score in that innings and then SA collapsed to 241 all out before NZ beat them after a brilliant unbeaten 100 from Cairns.