• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar Batting Comparison

Bolo

State Captain
I default to Tendulkar, but I'm not sure this is right. There are plenty of middle order bats who make a case for being as good as Tendulkar. It's been decades since we have seen one close to Gavaskar, and almost none ever.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I default to Tendulkar, but I'm not sure this is right. There are plenty of middle order bats who make a case for being as good as Tendulkar. It's been decades since we have seen one close to Gavaskar, and almost none ever.
There is also the argument that Gavaskar's job was much tougher having to open against fast bowling at its wildest.

OverratedSanity

Most people who pick Gavaskar/Dravid over Tendulkar do so to look cool and not necessarily because they actually believe it

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Sunil Gavaskar

Only true Great opener of modern era.

No great batsman performed a tougher role. Opening for a minnow team against greatest of the pace bowlers in the history with no support.

Started with a bang in west indies.

Signed off with ATG performences in Test, Odi and Fc.

Set new benchmarks of 10k runs and 30 centuries.

You must give him extra points for opening in that era when comparing with middle order giants.

TheJediBrah

It's not like Sachin had it that easy. He had to face guys like Andy Caddick, Henry Olonga and Manjural Islam.

Bolo

State Captain
Bringing ODIs into it in any way is a really, really bad idea if you are trying to paint Gavaskar in a more favourable light than Tendulkar.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Not a single opener averaged 50+ during Gavaskar's time (except B.Richards who played but a few Tests)

Many middle-order batsmen averaged 50+ during Sachin's time

Bolo

State Captain
Not a single opener averaged 50+ during Gavaskar's time (except B.Richards who played but a few Tests)

Many middle-order batsmen averaged 50+ during Sachin's time
Or since, other than Hayden, who was a bully of epic proportions.

Slifer

International Captain
Sachin is much better than Gavaskar in tests too. Sachin is by far the best Indian batsman.
No he is not. Besides bradman no batsman is "much" better than Sunil. Sunil is a definite atg and one of the big 4 test openers. There's a reason why there have only ever been 5 openers averaging 50+ in all of test cricket. Opening is hard as hell; probably hardeat in Sunil's time. Sunil could bat for my life any day of the week. What a gem. I'd say he's below Sachin (probably) but by the slimmest of margins.

Chrish

International Debutant
Iirc Sunny averaged 40+ in each country he played except SL where he played 3 tests toward the end of career.

Pretty significant for an opener in a pace dominated era..

Slifer

International Captain
Not just pace; limitless bouncers, flimsy bats, body protection in its infancy and he opened in all this crap.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Bringing ODIs into it in any way is a really, really bad idea if you are trying to paint Gavaskar in a more favourable light than Tendulkar.
No, i was not comparing him with Sachin.

But its quite fascinating, he ended his career superbly in all 3 formats.

Atg 96 against PAK in Tests.
Atg super fast wc century in odis
Atg 188 in FC against Hadlee, Marshall and Rice in Lords

Odis, he was capable of doing much better. But he never cared.. I think.
Only after 83 WC he showed some seriousness towards odi format. Since then he averaged 45 at close to 70 strike rate.
In 1987 he played 18 odis. Avg 49 strike rate 72.5.

trundler

I'd say it's not wrong to suggest he could have been better at ODIs. After all he certainly wasn't a one dimensional player with only one gear.

If only he wasn't a selfish bastard.

subshakerz

International Coach
Tendulkar has two major advantages over Kohli at the moment:

- Tendulkar's peak was at a time when bowling standards, both pace and spin, were much higher than today, which gives his achievements a special glow.

- Tendulkar's fairly flawless record in and against different countries over a long stretch of a career.

For Kohli to to counter the above, he basically needs to keep up what he is doing (outshining his colleagues against the few world class attacks like SA, Australia and England in their own countries, and score daddy tons against the weaker attacks and at home). If he can continue his current form until 100 tests or so, and along the way score 1 or 2 career-defining innings (like Tendulkar's 155 against Australia or 136 against Pakistan) then I think he would justifiably merit comparison. If those innings were match-winning innings, like a successful 4th innings chase, that would give him an edge since Tnedulkar wasnt very strong in that category.

If he were to retire tomorrow, he would deinitely find a place in an Indian All-time Test XI, but Tendulkar would rank ahead of him.

Bolo

State Captain
Tendulkars faultless consistent record is less likely to be beaten than his run tally.

Not everyone will play against every opponent. Politics and economics dictate that a number of teams won't play each other ever. Even if playing for a team for whom this isn't the case, there will often be only 1 away series with a couple of matches in a career. Staying fit for all of these and succeeding in all of them is extremely unlikely.