• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Dutchy Holland

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Very sad news. My real lasting memory of him is from the 1985 Ashes. Ian Botham had played an immaculate innings of 85 with unusual patience and maturity at Lords but then couldn't resist having a slog at a slow floater from Holland and holed out. Downton was then out next ball and the match was lost (or won if you're an Australian).

RIP

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dutchy was a great bloke and a true gent. Did a lot of work in the junior scene in Newcastle, especially with the spinners. He was checking on some of the local grounds a year or so back when a few local hoods bashed him. He kept backing up after that and still helped out with the kids

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Jebus. I was only a young 'un but I remember his 10-for against the almighty Windies at the SCG in 1984/85 - he beat a team we thought was unbeatable.

During the dark days of the mid-1980s Australia didn't win many Tests, but when we did Holland invariably had something to do with it - he followed that SCG performance with the five-for at Lord's that other posters have mentioned, and then got ten more against New Zealand later in '85 to win us a Test in a series otherwise utterly dominated by Richard Hadlee.

And yet, as Phillip Derriman noted, he always seemed to be playing for his spot, and as soon as he wasn't taking bags of wickets every game he was discarded. He put it brilliantly that no one would have predicted consistent or unbroken success for Bob Holland, but he offered the prospect, every few Tests, of winning a match with his own fingers. In a time when Australia won Test matches very rarely, that offer ought to have been too good to refuse.

I always admired him as a player (in my younger days I seemed to have a thing for mustachioed spinners - Bruce Yardley was one of my earliest heroes - make of that what you will...), but reading from Burgey that he was such a top bloke too is even more satisfying. What a champ.

RIP Dutchy.

brockley

International Captain
Showing my age here,remember his 10 for vs West Indies,an inspiring debut.
He also played a full season in NZ to finish his career.
Played for Newcastle for over a decade playing touring sides before picked for NSW side.
Great memories.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Australia’s best (and only) matchwinning bowler for a time in the 1980s. Australia won just 3 Tests in the 1985-86 period and Holland was pivotal in all of them. He admittedly had a few barren Tests but as mentioned above, in an era where Australia struggled to win any Tests you would’ve thought someone who could win matches for them would’ve been persisted more consistently than he was; especially when you could’ve had Greg Matthews playing as a batting spin all-rounder as well.