• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Derek Underwood

Molehill

International Captain
I think some of my earliest memories of cricket were of him running in on that angle to bowl something I'm not sure we've ever seen the like of since.

Always makes me think of another poster from the C247 days SO77 (Summer of 77) aka Rob who sadly died in 2019. He was Deadly's biggest fan and utterly worshipped him. Maybe they can swap the odd Kent related story now....

RIP

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Deadly was a simply brilliant bowler. His key asset was the pace he bowled at, quicker than a normal spinner but could still turn the ball significantly.

The best bowler I've ever seen for England.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Great bowler in the days of uncovered wickets.

Was playing test cricket up till 1980.

RIP.
Longer than that mate. He played for England in the 1981/82 tour of India and Sri Lanka, and would surely have played even longer if he hadn't gone to South Africa a month or two after that series finished. I think his outstanding performances on drying pitches, and of course he was lethal in those circumstances, sometimes cause his record in other conditions to be under-rated. I remember him being brilliant in India in 1976/77, for example, and obviously the vast majority of his 297 test wickets weren't taken on pitches that were affected by rain or fusarium. Vale Deadly.