• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Oh I don't hate him at all, I think he's a competent broadcaster, nothing more, but he is very opinionated for/against various organisations but then changes his tune if his situation changes, and hits out in the other direction.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't like him in Tests. Wrong vibe. He's fine otherwise
Yeah, I agree. I don't hate the guy at all, I only hate people who have evil in them, and apparently he's a really nice guy. But he's fingers down chalk board in Tests. T20s I could care less, really. I just don't want to hear about people 'deleting tins' or whatever junk he said that other day when it was at a really critical point of play. Add to the scene in Tests, or get the F out the way.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
100% on this, here's an example of an exchange I had with him on Twitter

View attachment 35235View attachment 35236
An admission if ever I saw one!!

Hmmmm

Personally, Not sure you guys are on the right track. I reckon/heard/read? (not sure, memory fuzzy) he was getting frozen out by NZRU, frustrated at Sky - because he wasn't towing the NZRU line (enough), so left, or saw the tea leaves and left.

I don't know this, just how I was reading it.

Not that I was following any of that particularly closely anymore.

In particular lack of independence of the competitions from Sanzaar / NZRU was his hill to die on, IIRC.
That's not my impression of it, but I don't claim to be an oracle. I just remember (I think??) he went from writing some real puff pieces for The Spinoff (a website I abhor, incidentally) to then getting super critical of the NZRU - which to be fair, they have warranted. And as I said, he put up a post on insta about how resilient or great the women's team was at the T20 World Cup, even though they'd bombed out completely. I don't see that as being a commentator's role. I see their role being to be even handed with compliments and constructive, well reasoned criticism when required.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Yeah, I agree. I don't hate the guy at all, I only hate people who have evil in them, and apparently he's a really nice guy. But he's fingers down chalk board in Tests. T20s I could care less, really. I just don't want to hear about people 'deleting tins' or whatever junk he said that other day when it was at a really critical point of play. Add to the scene in Tests, or get the F out the way.
This is largely my view too. I would add that he also doesn’t seem to understand the complexities of the game, and can be terrible at reading it. In addition to the junk comments, my fingers down the chalk board moments are also where he patently gets something wrong.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
For me (along with when he’s obviously wrong about things and shows up his lack of knowledge), it’s the way he will make the most obvious point, but use a bunch of random words, say the same thing about three times, and dress it up as some super insightful comment.

He’d say something like: “The batsmen will be devoting their entire energy to attempting to bat until the end of this session. It’ll take guts … it’ll take no small measure of courage … but that has to be their immediate concern and goal”

Hey I should teach a Sumo commentary 101 class.

But anyway … just talk normal dammit!!! Also agree nobody calls them tins!!! Or poles!!!

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
For me (along with when he’s obviously wrong about things and shows up his lack of knowledge), it’s the way he will make the most obvious point, but use a bunch of random words, say the same thing about three times, and dress it up as some super insightful comment.

He’d say something like: “The batsmen will be devoting their entire energy to attempting to bat until the end of this session. It’ll take guts … it’ll take no small measure of courage … but that has to be their immediate concern and goal”

Hey I should teach a Sumo commentary 101 class.

But anyway … just talk normal dammit!!! Also agree nobody calls them tins!!! Or poles!!!
It's a ton better then what we get over here in AUS. Try listening to Brendan jullians Empty head and mark waugh either talking about unrelated horse races or grouching about every little thing in the game Infront of while not watching the game live and sumo will look like a godsend.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Have to say I was surprised Stevenson seemed to be rightly critical of Southee being too defensive on the first day of the 2nd England test after some early wickets. Someone here was saying they or someone they know had a drink with him and were surprised at how much he knew about the domestic scene?

I don't think any of the current TV commentators really stand out. David Gower was a breath of fresh air. I have been surprised at how much I've enjoyed John Bracewell on radio having not been a particular fan of him as coach. Jacob Oram seems quite good. I wish they would bring back a curmudgeon like Turner too for his technical analysis.

Last edited:

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to say I was surprised Stevenson seemed to be rightly critical of Southee being too defensive on the first day after some early wickets. Someone here was saying they or someone they know had a drink with him and were surprised at how much he knew about the domestic scene?
Maybe he has orders to be a colour guy? It's like when Danny Morrison turns off his IPL persona for test matches and has some fairly good insights.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Have to say I was surprised Stevenson seemed to be rightly critical of Southee being too defensive on the first day after some early wickets. Someone here was saying they or someone they know had a drink with him and were surprised at how much he knew about the domestic scene?

I don't think any of the current TV commentators really stand out. David Gower was a breath of fresh air. I have been surprised at how much I've enjoyed John Bracewell on radio having not been a particular fan of him as coach. Jacob Oram seems quite good. I wish they would bring back a curmudgeon like Turner too for his technical analysis.
The today FM commentary had a few decent people on comms this year that were a breath of fresh air. Shane Bond is always pretty good too when he's about.

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think Spark this season have been heavily reliant on a small number of commentators, it seems every SuperSmash game had McMillan and Martin as part of 3-4 person crew, and of course a few more bodies get added to it for the internationals but they're there too, so there's a case for over exposure.

Of course Spark in their last season probably don't give a toss, it will be fascinating (and slightly concerning) to see what TVNZ do with the coverage for the next three seasons.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I think Spark this season have been heavily reliant on a small number of commentators, it seems every SuperSmash game had McMillan and Martin as part of 3-4 person crew, and of course a few more bodies get added to it for the internationals but they're there too, so there's a case for over exposure.

Of course Spark in their last season probably don't give a toss, it will be fascinating (and slightly concerning) to see what TVNZ do with the coverage for the next three seasons.
Yep, I think they tried to cut back on costs this year. Spoke to Elliott just before the season started and he was disappointed that he hadn't been given many games to do.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Spark's been dialling back the costs for a while. Compare the efforts they went to in the first season (including sending Craig McMillan and a talking head to England for the winter tour) vs the complete lack of effort for 2022 (when they sent no one and clearly couldn't be bothered purchasing the rights to Sky's excellent highlights packages and just had it sorted together by computer algorithm).

I suspect we'll probably get significantly dialled back coverage of the super smash on tvnz, which would be a shame, but getting fta broadcasting of NZ’s first home test series v Australia in 8 years more than makes up for it.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how to feel about Clarkson not being included in the LOI squad. Was about to come here and bang on about how him being 72*(48) and taking 3-fer in the ford trophy final is a sign he should be in national contention, but if he got called up for this SL series he probably wouldn't have played in the ford trophy final to begin with.