• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Despite that, surely we could have snuck one promising fringe player in there so we actually learn something (even if half the bowlers that fit that bill are injured). Instead we've left out the most promising fringe batsman in Chapman.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
India cash cow needs to be milked and they probably put pressure on for NZ to name the top side rather than a half 'A' team.
Possible, but then why leave Boult out? If it was about the contract Neesham wouldn't be there either. And somehow Tickner ends up being the one fringe player benefiting from NZ's selection policy.

Well, whatever. Any NZ cricket is better than none I suppose.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Possible, but then why leave Boult out? If it was about the contract Neesham wouldn't be there either. And somehow Tickner ends up being the one fringe player benefiting from NZ's selection policy.

Well, whatever. Any NZ cricket is better than none I suppose.
Maybe Boult was unavailable?

thierry henry

International Coach
Just looking at the Black Caps schedule....after a very leisurely/COVIDy period from about March 2020 to September 2021, it has been and continues to be really frantic.

Why are we going to Pakistan on two separate tours three months apart? And playing 10 white ball games on the second tour even though we're playing some on the first too?

It's good we're playing England a lot lately, but going there 3 years in a row seems a lot? Especially when they're also coming here in between?

I guess it's good we're cramming in lots of ODIs before the World Cup, but when they're matched 1 for 1 with T20s it's all a bit much.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting quotes from Stead, saying that Boult was excluded because of his contract situation, and 'priority is given to contracted players'. Didn't seem to be the case throughout the Tri Series, Aussie ODIs and World Cup, but I guess you can pretend that's your hard stance in a series that not many people will give a **** about.

Then apparently the Neesham situation is different, because he turned one down, then would have got one from CdG but already had T20 deals in place...which you know, is different than getting one and then kind of turning it down but not really.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't agree with the complaining about picking a full-strength side. Y'all bemoan JAMwhatevers but then want a Mickey Mouse B-team to play India?

But yeah, pick Chapman though
I hate JAMT20s (I don't see ODIs as JAM, but some do) but yeah, if I'm going to watch it - and I do because the alternative is Netflix rom-com filth - I'd like to see some development done - as they did with Finn, Glenn Phillips, Milne, and a host of others. Having said that, I don't know who you'd leave out (Kane ideally, but you know). Not having Mark Chapman in the squad is disappointing as I rate him very highly, but again I don't know who you'd drop.

ashley bach

International Captain
Anyone thought of the possibility of Mitchell opening or has the idea gone to sea?
He's probably one of our top 3 bats along with Conway and Phillips and it just seems absurdly wasteful one of your top 3 coming in at 5.
The way he handled opening in last years world cup, and the success that he had makes you believe he could well succeed there again.
The top 3 bats in 20/20 should usually bat 1-3 and sometimes 4 but not really at 5. India's SKY is an exception, he should be 3 or 4.
Definitely think he is one of the top 3, and without us knowing it, he may well be the best.
Not sure how they're going about selection, but would be interesting to see if Maceball could continue his form from the tri-series,as well as getting
a glimpse of Chapman at some stage.
Omg Tickners back....hope he's good at carrying the drinks.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitchell should probably be at 3. The innings he played in the semi-final was a perfect #3's innings. I think he's more of a 3 than Conway, wherein Conway plays better with a bit more pace on but Mitchell can very comfortably come in against spin and hit. Allen/Conway/Mitchell/Phillips/Chapman/Neesham/Santner I like as a top 7. Nice mix of styles, LH/RH, and if you're looking to India, there's a few bowling options in there as well if you want to go that way. It got exposed in the semi final that we didn't have any options past our Plan A five bowlers.

There are a bunch of seamers I would pick before Tickner. Shipley, Sears, Smith, Duffy, Fisher, I'm sure there's more I missed. But hey, as Gary Stead said, you give the opportunities to the guys you contracted first.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting quotes from Stead, saying that Boult was excluded because of his contract situation, and 'priority is given to contracted players'. Didn't seem to be the case throughout the Tri Series, Aussie ODIs and World Cup, but I guess you can pretend that's your hard stance in a series that not many people will give a **** about.
Yep that's it, suddenly he's highly principled.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm hoping Guptill's exclusion is just to give Allen a decent shot at the opening role full time.

Guptill should get a farewell ODI series at home, considering his L/O service that's spanned 3 decades.