• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Mike5181

International Captain
Bracewell's always a chance of just destroying a team one day but I'd rather give someone like Nathan Smith nosebleeds at number 7 and pick Sodhi along with 3 other quicks.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Are you saying this is good or bad? Because couldn't I make the argument that this is how Bracewell was selected? Based on instinct rather than career numbers.
What I was trying to mean was Fletcher was a gun coach, he knew who would win them games and didn't mind taking a punt with newbies. I left out KP from the list above but he was preferred over Graham Thrope. That was one tough call to make considering Thrope was a leading batsman in the world at that time. He was fast approaching retirement but they were brave enough to get the likes of those that I mentioned and Ian Bell as well. Geriant Jones was another one they preferred. Man to man they were no match for the great Aussies but the exuberance did prevail for England in the end. I suppose from then on England were progressive.

Jezroy

State Captain
Apart from Ireland who have played almost no tests and Dockrell is bowling a lot less than he used, Bracewell is inferior to all main (and several back up) current spinners in each test team.
Don’t worry - if any of those actual spin options played for NZ, they’d end up being unused, unsupported, and rubbish as well.

nzfan

I think the role that Santner occupied before and now Bracewell is a good one in a team that had a functioning top 5 and a functioning 4 man seam attack. But it is quite a hard one from a plublic expectations POV. I think I've said it on here before, but if Ravindra was batting 7 for the NZ team at the moment and taking zero-ish wickets he would be getting slaughtered in media, socials. I'm glad he's not there.

But, anyway. NZ no longer have the strong enough foundations in place in the other parts of the team to carry this role anymore, IMO. We need more bowling from our spinner because our 3rd/4th seamers have fallen off a cliff.

I'd have Ravindra in my team, he'd be batting 5. (above Mitchell and Blundell) He may, or may not ,bowl much.
I'd have Sodhi in my team, he'd be 4th bowler.

Both of those are slight punts, though, rather than slam-dunk certanties.

So, I think I agree with SteveNZ above in terms of personnel. I just don't agree with most that Macewell is useless. Although if he kept under-performing with the bat in the 'ideal' team balance of 2020ish he'd eventually lose his spot, like Santner.
Macewell will be there, he's not a topic of interest anymore. Is he one of the better spin bowlers, definitely not. There are others. Is he a reasonable batsman? I'd think so. He's definitely better than Santner, Ajaz and Sodhi with the bat. Same story all over right, playing players in the wrong place. Bracewell should be much higher but obviously they can't make a place for him at 5 or 6. If he does get a go at 5 or 6 I think he will be reasonable with the bat. That time may come too you never know.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Holy **** mitch santner made a 100, took 5fer AND bowled his side to victory on the last day. What a man. Best cricketer since wg grace, get him in the test team ASAP.

On a more serious note, will santner get any more plunkett shield games in the near future or is he on white ball duties. If he can do this one more time i'de love to see him back in whites for NZ. Also interested to see how big phillips can go tommorow, Pitch seems like a road and there's alot of runs to get. A big 150+ score here should hopefully get him in for the 2nd test if nicholls ****s up again.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It might have been mentioned earlier, but Sean Solia playing the CDG role doesn't seem the worst idea
How's his bowling go? Haven't seen much of him but england smashed him around at 8's in the recent warmup game, which doesn't fill me with much hope for his international bowling.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
How's his bowling go? Haven't seen much of him but england smashed him around at 8's in the recent warmup game, which doesn't fill me with much hope for his international bowling.
I always take tour matches with a grain of salt tbf. Good or bad performances. Remember Lance Hamilton?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Holy **** mitch santner made a 100, took 5fer AND bowled his side to victory on the last day. What a man. Best cricketer since wg grace, get him in the test team ASAP.

On a more serious note, will santner get any more plunkett shield games in the near future or is he on white ball duties.
Next round starts on Monday 13 March, so one more PS game for Mitch

Immenso

I've seen that this has page been added to the cricket archive recently, so is inked in:

17 Aug 2023: 1st Twenty20: United Arab Emirates v New Zealand, venue to be confirmed, IT20
19 Aug 2023: 2nd Twenty20: United Arab Emirates v New Zealand, venue to be confirmed, IT20
20 Aug 2023: 3rd Twenty20: United Arab Emirates v New Zealand, venue to be confirmed, IT20

I just googled "dubai hottest month"
The hottest month of the year is August with an average daily maximum of 44 C and an average low of 30 C.

T20s though, so under lights.

This fits into a schedule while on the way to UK - the week after NZ are in England playing a full white ball tour.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
This is great IMO. Takes up only one week of the year, doesn't require commitment from players, and gives exposure to associates.

But **** how do you play cricket in that heat

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is great IMO. Takes up only one week of the year, doesn't require commitment from players, and gives exposure to associates.

But **** how do you play cricket in that heat
Last time I was in Dubai, I went for a run in the evening when it was still about 35 degrees. Firstly, there's no bloody pavements to run on so I ended up doing laps round a housing complex but my word did I get overheated quickly. At least it's a dry heat, I guess.

The Hutt Rec

I've seen that this has page been added to the cricket archive recently, so is inked in:

17 Aug 2023: 1st Twenty20: United Arab Emirates v New Zealand, venue to be confirmed, IT20
19 Aug 2023: 2nd Twenty20: United Arab Emirates v New Zealand, venue to be confirmed, IT20
20 Aug 2023: 3rd Twenty20: United Arab Emirates v New Zealand, venue to be confirmed, IT20

I just googled "dubai hottest month"
The hottest month of the year is August with an average daily maximum of 44 C and an average low of 30 C.

T20s though, so under lights.

This fits into a schedule where on the way to UK - the week after NZ are in England playing a white ball tour.
Where did I see it reported that the players are all totally pissed off about this being added to the schedule lol

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where did I see it reported that the players are all totally pissed off about this being added to the schedule lol
It's an opportunity to blood some young players - maybe we can call up David White for a recall. He threw a few reasonable punches in his previous ODI exploits.

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Englands smash a lot of bowlers at 8's...

Would seem an option if NZ wanted to go in with no spinner as they did a number of times with CDG in at 7/8

Flem274*

123/5
Hadn't realised GP had pipped WIll Young for average. Up at that level you really should be in test squads.

As should Mark Chapman, who seems another "if we must" player for the establishment. He's only played the 1 FC game this season and smoked a ton lol and his results have been very good for a long time now.

Also big ups to Greg Hay for scoring 150 in his first FC game all season at the age of 38.