• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**.....UNOFFICIAL.....** ASHES 2007 thread

simmy

International Regular
If England are fully fit.. they have every chance...

They may not win the series but I am confident that they will be retained.

They always raise there game when it matters!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I reckon we'll do well, we've lost a series to Pakistan (which was largely to do with Jones and Giles being injured, and has little relevance to playing in Australian conditions anyway). The Aussies' bouncback is IMO overrated. Anyone could hammer the West Indies at the moment and SA were IMO hard done by the 2-0 scoreline.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
The Aussies' bouncback is IMO overrated. Anyone could hammer the West Indies at the moment and SA were IMO hard done by the 2-0 scoreline.
yea probably, Australia still have to get the right combination in time for the next ashes & even though Australia beat SA who are on par with england on paper IMO, Australia will know that unlike SA england are a more aggressive team.

So Australia have to have both their batting working well later this year & their bowling attack well organised or i'm afraid to say it but they wont be able to regain the ashes (presuming england come go to Australia full-strenght)

howardj

International Coach
Given that five Tests are being played in a little over six weeks (45 days) I think fitness will play a huge role. To that end, I think Australia may struggle a little. Personally, I can't see McGrath and Warne firing all series. In my view, McGrath is having (for him) an inordinate number of quiet Test Matches of late. He's slowly losing his pace and, without being too over the top, may be Australia's version of Shaun Pollock given another 10 months - a guy who will still restrict the runs, but not pose a huge threat.

As for Warne, I think his back is a bit of a concern. Apparently it's not so much an actual injury, but just age-related back soreness. Both these guys look to be finding it increasingly difficult to play back-to-back Tests - something they will have to do next Ashes summer (Brisbane-Adelaide, and Melbourne-Sydney). Still, I guess you write off champions at your peril. But, without these two guys being reasonably fit for at least four of the five Tests, we can't regain the Ashes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:
Given that five Tests are being played in a little over six weeks (45 days) I think fitness will play a huge role. To that end, I think Australia may struggle a little. Personally, I can't see McGrath and Warne firing all series.
Sounds vaguely familiar to Hoggard's comments pre-2005 Ashes!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
PY said:
Just read this (on front page of Cricinfo duh 8-)).

Should be quite interesting to see how they get round the problems they are forecasting. And :laugh: at the people taking up memberships at WACA just to get tickets, genius.
Why shouldnt we restrict tickets to the poms though? Seems like a reasonable thing to do..

James

Cricket Web Owner
Linda said:
Why shouldnt we restrict tickets to the poms though? Seems like a reasonable thing to do..
Agree, most sports restrict tickets to the "away" team, so I don't see why cricket should be any different.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
James said:
Agree, most sports restrict tickets to the "away" team, so I don't see why cricket should be any different.
Specially when there is demand from the local public itself.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
I'm confident about Australia's chances one of those reasons being Brett Lee he has improved dramatically in the last 2 series and has been able to make good batsmen like Kallis look very very ordinary.The emergence of Hussey is another he has been sensational so far and been capable of batting well with our tail, Hodge also has shown patches of brilliance the main example being his 200+ not out on a pitch he averaged in the low 20s over his career which showed me that he is mature and good enough for test cricket. My only worry is Glenn Mcgrath he just doesnt seem right im really not sure what the problem is but he is a major concern for Australia IMO.

PY

International Coach
Linda said:
Except they won't be restricted to people with large enough wallets from England, with lack of tickets comes ticket touts and as they mention, it isn't fair that Aussies will be buying up tickets with no intention of going because they want to flog the tickets.

We restricted here I'd assume but there's been numbers thrown around like 2,000 tickets available per day for Adelaide and Melbourne which seems a little extreme! I know you need all the advantage you can get but honestly......:p

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
mikeW said:
I'm confident about Australia's chances one of those reasons being Brett Lee he has improved dramatically in the last 2 series and has been able to make good batsmen like Kallis look very very ordinary.The emergence of Hussey is another he has been sensational so far and been capable of batting well with our tail, Hodge also has shown patches of brilliance the main example being his 200+ not out on a pitch he averaged in the low 20s over his career which showed me that he is mature and good enough for test cricket. My only worry is Glenn Mcgrath he just doesnt seem right im really not sure what the problem is but he is a major concern for Australia IMO.
Lee bowled some great spells this series. His duels with Kallis were the highlight of the summer. However, no matter how well he bowls in patches, he always seems to bring his good work undone, with some wayward fare. For instance, despite some magnificent bowling against South Africa, he still averaged over 30. Similarly, in the Ashes, he averaged over 40. I totally disregard his - and the other Australian players' - efforts against the Windies. I dont think they count for much.

As for Hodge, I actually think he and Symonds (if they remain at numbers five and six) are potentially a real weakness against England. I just can't see either of them making consistent contributions. Personally, I'd like to see Michael Clarke and perhaps Shane Watson occupying those positions, come November. Much has to happen for that to occur though, as Australia only have five Tests before the Ashes. Agree with you about Hussey and McGrath though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well with the news that CA are having limited tickets for english people wont be good for me because i really want to go down their this christmans, urghhhhhhhh :@

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well for mine i don't see the problem with the ticket restrictions - the restrictions being talked about are for sales to english tour companies - the other tickets which aren't snapped up by members will go on general sale and can be bought on the internet (even if there may be a requirement for them to be sent to an Australian address i don't think that will be a problem). I believe they are going to give a month for priveledged people (by that i mean members, clubs, people involved in local cricket and people who have bought tickets in the past) and then put them on open sale. There are more than enough Expats in Perth and Sydney and there are going to be no restrictions in Melbourne.

Adelaide and Brisbane will probably be the places that the tickets are limited the most.

The tickets for tour companies for last years ashes were even more restricted (though it must be said that this was more due to lack of demand rather than not enough allocations)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
What's the news on the ticket allocation for 2007 guys?
You just need to give your name and address in full (including cell number and relationship to Ned Kelly) and you'll have no problem whatsoever.

PY

International Coach
Maybe I can get some due to sharing the same name as the Cricket Australia mouthpiece?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
mikeW said:
IMy only worry is Glenn Mcgrath he just doesnt seem right im really not sure what the problem is but he is a major concern for Australia IMO.
not for me as yet, he bowled well at the MCG & the SCG but just didn't take wickets but was accurate, it wasn't as if he looked untreatening. I would only begin to get worried if his performaces in the VB series & especially in the return test series in SA are similar, but for now no worries about McGrath.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
not for me as yet, he bowled well at the MCG & the SCG but just didn't take wickets but was accurate, it wasn't as if he looked untreatening. I would only begin to get worried if his performaces in the VB series & especially in the return test series in SA are similar, but for now no worries about McGrath.
Me neither.

(scatters a few random cricket balls on the ground)

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Does it reverse around alarmingly in Australian conditions? I've never seen it for prolonged periods, but then again I haven't seen practitioners of the art doing it in Australia.