• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Underwhelming

Langeveldt

Soutie
It's been a good world cup cricket wise, we get such good coverage here in South Africa, they even postpone the news to accomodate cricket games on terrestrial..

What isn't so good is the lack of crowds though.. Really bad, I think this is the future of cricket where our money grabbing administrators seek to price the majority out of the game and skim the top... Also, if you build a 30,000 seater stadium on an island with only, say, 500,000 people living on it, you aren't going to get a full house are you?

What annoys me is that this amazing stadium in Antigua will probably never get a full house, ever..

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I think the group stages were far more exciting than anyone would have predicted before the tournamnet started. I do think we owe Malinga a debt of gratitude - until yesterday there hadn't been a close finish between good teams and I think the WC needed that (not sure the Saffies would agree with me though) Crowds have been poor though - us that because the dear old ICC have put the prices beyond the reach of locals or because the locals aren't interested? I'd go for the first reason...PS - I got told the BBC once delayed the news for cricket (the Test Cowdery came out to bat with a broken arm v WI at Lord's) how times change...

pasag

RTDAS
I've been loving it really. Although this is my first really serious WC - I wasn't tremendously "in" to cricket during the last one - I was only just starting to fully appreciate it all back then - so that could have something to do with it.
Yeah, in the same situation really.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Someone hits 6 6s, someones takes 4 wickets in 4 balls, and there have been numerous innings over 300, and you call it boring....

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
yup..the crowds have been very dissapointing..thought it wud pick up for the super 8's atleast...but even West indies matches have seen terrible attendence figures :(

Beleg

International Regular
I haven't been able to watch many matches.

Zim vs. Ireland was amazing. Pak vs. Ireland was a nail biter, even Pak vs. WI had some very good cricket from the WI. Sri Lanka, SA and Australia have all been constantly entertaining with NZ not far behind - IMO, the only games that have been boring so far have involved England.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The ticket prices have meant that really only the hardcore West Indian fans are going to show up and also the cashed up overseas touring parties.

The general punters just can't afford it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Someone hits 6 6s, someones takes 4 wickets in 4 balls, and there have been numerous innings over 300, and you call it boring....
Such things don't automatically equate to interesting, though. With the probable exception of the 6 sixes. Obviously in this case the 4-in-4 was sensational, and who knows it may be the turning-point, but lots of 300+ scores are every bit as likely to downgrade rather than upgrade the quality.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
The only thing about this world cup that has really bothered me has been the poor crowds, and Sky TV's terrible coverage (or lack of it). Otherwise excellent.

It would be nice to have mainly West Indian commentators though. What's with all the English ones?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Presumably the fact that there aren't a lot of high-ranking WI coms.

I mean, Tony Cozier, Michael Holding and Ian Bishop are the only ones that come to my mind. There's Donna Symmonds, too, but she's generally a radio-only gal.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its almost impossible to stay awake right through the match for me. I did so in the India Bangla desh match and suffered two-fold. :@

Missed the excitement of Lasith Malinga bringing Sri Lanka back into the game for the same reason.

Dick Rockett

Presumably the fact that there aren't a lot of high-ranking WI coms.

I mean, Tony Cozier, Michael Holding and Ian Bishop are the only ones that come to my mind. There's Donna Symmonds, too, but she's generally a radio-only gal.
Who cares if they're high ranking or not? One of the pleasures of watching cricket from overseas is hearing from the local commentators. Except the Australian ones, of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What, you'd prefer hear some random guy who knows little about cricket than a foreigner? :blink:

Dick Rockett

What, you'd prefer hear some random guy who knows little about cricket than a foreigner? :blink:
I don't see how being local translates to a poor knowledge of the game. Besides, if I'm a New Zealander, aren't all West Indians foreign to me?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was meaning foreign as in foreign to West Indies...

Commentating, sadly, is not merely about knowledge of the game - there will inevitably be a few Liam Camps' around the grounds - it takes skill at the mic as well as game knowledge. If there were more with such traits, there'd be more than 3 well-known WI coms.

Dick Rockett

I could argue the relative merits of the commentators we've been saddled with for this WC, but you know what I'm getting at.