• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpiring question

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Ball hits the batsman plumb in front and loops up to a fielder to be caught. As the umpire, you're certain that it was going to hit the stumps, but not sure whether there was an inside edge. In other words, you're sure it's out, but you don't know if it was LBW or caught. Assuming no DRS, what should you do?

thierry henry

International Coach
Related question - if a player is given out in these circumstances today and there was an inside edge, and he doesn't review: is it recorded as an LBW or catch based on subsequent video review or on what the umpire says (I assume someone checks with him later)? I assume it's the latter but that seems sort of anachronistic.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
When umpiring a few years back I had a similar situation but virtually in reverse. The reaction of the fielders suggested they were appealing for a catch but I believed the batsman was keeping his bat behind his pad and was thus offering no shot to an off break which struck him just outside the line of off. I gave him lbw but at tea the batsman (believing I had upheld the catch appeal) said. "My bat was no where near the ball when you gave me out." I replied, "I know. I gave you lbw for not offering a shot."