• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpires chosen for ashes series

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
yep he made some poor decisions in the IND vs AUS series in 2003/04, sepecially againts the great Tendulkar
And in several series the year before that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
who were you supporting that day richard, cause a very strange thing to say :wacko:
As ever I was supporting England (not that it mattered as it was a dead Test on a pitch that could fairly be described as as flat as possible) but whoever I'm supporting I dislike terrible decisions and it was incredibly obvious that Trescothick was out. As a result of the poor decision, Trescothick's winter average went from 18.85 to 25.61, which made it look like he'd played far better than he had.
And in any case the comment was partly sarcastic to say that it's utterly ludicrous to dislike an Umpire because of one single decision.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
in the same match lara edged harmison to slip as well which was also not given out for some reason...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not Antigua - there was a misperception that Lara edged someone to Geraint Jones (there's unquestionable evidence that there was no nick).
Whether that happened in 1 of the 3 earlier Tests I don't know.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I too dislike him, for giving Trescothick not out at Antigua '04. Trescothick obviously gloved the ball.
Are you similarly raged against Jayaprakash for having the stupidity to uphold the handled-the-ball appeal at Bangalore '01?
Aleem Dar is a very fine Umpire and, like even Harold Bird, he will make mistakes. The more matches he stands in, the more mistakes he'll make. His ratio of good:bad is still excellent.
I remember that Tresco incident as it goes. It was down the legside early in his innings right?
Erm have no idea about the second part. the only handled ball incident i know of, as you probally guessed involves Vaughan. Actually is that what you was refering to? if so then yes, Vaughan was just trying to help the situation, and the ball was going no where near the stumps. He was playing really well too, at an important time when he was trying to get into the team. Bad memories

Link

State Vice-Captain
aussie said:
who were you supporting that day richard, cause a very strange thing to say :wacko:
lol, the thing is, which Richard means, is that the decision was wrong when it was not a hard one to judge.

Link

State Vice-Captain
aussie said:
yeah link i remember that one, that was definately a shocker on the day from darr
im glad you remember that, Because of this thing i have with Vaughan, i cannot forget it. The reaction on Vaughans face told the story, i can still remember the whole thing. When he played and missed Jacobs did that howling thing he does when he appeals, so Vaughan turned round and started smiling. But then when he turned back round to look at Tresco he was stunned to see Dar's finger up and his jaw actually dropped.

Bad memories

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Link said:
I remember that Tresco incident as it goes. It was down the legside early in his innings right?
Yep, that's the one - on 0 IIRR.
Erm have no idea about the second part. the only handled ball incident i know of, as you probally guessed involves Vaughan. Actually is that what you was refering to? if so then yes, Vaughan was just trying to help the situation, and the ball was going no where near the stumps. He was playing really well too, at an important time when he was trying to get into the team. Bad memories
Yes, that's the one I'm referring to. Great shame, really, that was about as well as I'd seen Vaughan bat in Tests at the time, and it was the last time for over 2 years that he batted at four.

Link

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Yep, that's the one - on 0 IIRR.

Yes, that's the one I'm referring to. Great shame, really, that was about as well as I'd seen Vaughan bat in Tests at the time, and it was the last time for over 2 years that he batted at four.
oh ok, yeah it was horrible, Vaughan was playing well until that point the best ive seen. If i remember rightly he got to 64 or 69 something like that. It was a horrible shame, an hour or so later he should have brought up his hundred. I read his book a 'year in the sun', he said after he hit the shot and picked up the ball, when they started appealing he didnt know what was going on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
64, indeed.
Played the seaming ball extremely well and looked in no trouble at all, unlike some, simply because the ball was bowled slowly with variation in flight.
One of cricket's great injustices.

howardj

International Coach
Bloody Bowden should never be allowed near an Australian match, let alone an Ashes Test. He is so sycophantic towards the Aussies. He just loves to be loved by the Aussies. Who will ever forget his absolutely pathetic show of affection towards Steve Waugh in his farewell test in Sydney in 2004? Billy had to let Steve know just how much he cared by giving Steve a hug; by having his photo taken with Steve etc etc. It was embarrassing. You watch him give the close ones to the Aussies. *There you go boys, see what a top bloke I am*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... I'd not quite go that far but you're certainly not the only one who's noticed the reciprocal love-love relationship between Australia and Bowden's Umpiring...

howardj

International Coach
Richard said:
Well... I'd not quite go that far but you're certainly not the only one who's noticed the reciprocal love-love relationship between Australia and Bowden's Umpiring...
And Billy actually thinks that they like him as a bloke. No, Billy, they are just playing you like a piano.

bradman2005

Cricket Spectator
it should not matter what kind of relationship Billy has with the Australians as long as he gets the decisions right

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing is there are unquestionably times when it's not remotely inconsiderable that he's let his love of all things Australian affect his decision-making.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he's only Umpired in 4 England Tests, and in the 1st he had a complete shocker (not that Asoka was any better).
In the 2nd he was reasonable enough, but I honestly don't remember the 3rd and 4th well enough to comment.