• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpires chosen for ashes series

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
Nice to see Bowden picked for the Big series, he tries to stay as neutral as possible and gives the crowd some extra entertainment.
If you ask me BB is almost as in awe of the Australian reputation as the English batsmen are.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twelfth_girl said:
me and most of my firends agreed that the end of that tour would be a good time to bow out!
If you ask me Eng-SL at Old Trafford would have been a good time to bow-out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sledger said:
taufel is also a bit suspect imo, i dont mind harper as hes quite good
Daryl Harper of late has been a bit disappointing when I've seen him, I always used to think he was up with the best - he's been pretty poor in the last 3 or 4 Tests I've seen him in.
what of david sheppard?
Apart from the fact that he's retiring, the last time he was allowed to stand in a Test in England was Headingley 2001.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, they do, I'm sure, but in Bucknor's case 2-and-a-half years of paucity cannot be explained as poor form.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRR he said he wants to finish after WC2007- by which time he'll be 5 years past his finish-by date.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Chaminda,

Taufel is rated the best by many and you rate Harper the best.
Hmm when did i ever rate anyone in this thread, all i asked was who was the other guy that was umpiring with Taufel in the Test Series aganist the Windies.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think that the umpires chosen are the best going round, with the exception of Taufel who imo clearly the best unpire going round, but is Aussie so ineligable for the tests.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
i think that the umpires chosen are the best going round, with the exception of Taufel who imo clearly the best unpire going round, but is Aussie so ineligable for the tests.
Well there was only 4 umpires that could have been picked from the panel and they were all picked 8-) . The only other option they had was to pick an umpire from the reserve panel, but imagine the up roar if Ian Robinson or Peter Manuel got picked

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Robinson's bad but he's not as bad as Manuel.
I can assure you that it's not impossible for a knowledgable English cricket crowd to bar Peter Manuel from an Umpire's box, everyone who remembers Galle 2000\01 will never, ever forgive him and quite darn right.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
Nope, he's not clearly the best at all, he's for-all-intents-and-purposes about as good as Aleem, Koertzen and Bowden.
And if you're suggesting that Bucknor is even close to as good as the other 3 you're delusional.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Link said:
i dislike Dar, even since he gave Vaughan out caught behind at Antigua 04. Vaughan obviously missed the ball (by a long, long way). Ever since then ive been very quick to critise him. has anyone noticed he has a habit of of watching where the bowler lands and not the action
yeah link i remember that one, that was definately a shocker on the day from darr

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
twelfth_girl said:
I think its a shame, but Bucknor is past his prime, his decisions whilst in SA were consitantly poor, and disadvantaged both teams, me and most of my firends agreed that the end of that tour would be a good time to bow out, but apparently this was not the case. Anyway, lets hope he has a better tour this time round and we get to see the umpire he used to be!
heyyyyyyyyy a girl posting on cricket web, mind giving me your name :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
His performances have been poor for much longer than last winter.
yep he made some poor decisions in the IND vs AUS series in 2003/04, sepecially againts the great Tendulkar

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I too dislike him, for giving Trescothick not out at Antigua '04. Trescothick obviously gloved the ball.
QUOTE]

who were you supporting that day richard, cause a very strange thing to say :wacko:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Robinson's bad but he's not as bad as Manuel.
I can assure you that it's not impossible for a knowledgable English cricket crowd to bar Peter Manuel from an Umpire's box, everyone who remembers Galle 2000\01 will never, ever forgive him and quite darn right.
dont forget BC Cooray, along with Manuel they are the worst umpires i have ever seen, they made some of the most horrible decisions in that series

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BC Cooray was a reasonable Umpire, he just finished on a complete shocker, Kandy 2000\01, which evened-out Manuel's shocker the previous game.