• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ultimate Test Draft

pskov

International 12th Man
Just been looking through the talent from 30s/40s. I am almost glad I'm not first pick as I have no idea who I would choose. :wacko:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Just been looking through the talent from 30s/40s. I am almost glad I'm not first pick as I have no idea who I would choose. :wacko:
Ha ha I was just thinking the same thing - having six blokes pick before me might actually narrow the choice down a little bit!

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, been screwed by Tharmi's curveball. ;)

Pick 1 in the 1920s is easy, last pick, less so. Picking one player from all of those available through the 30s and 40s is ridiculously hard, and for me there's not even the comfort of two or three people going first and making your job as selector easier by narrowing the field. :mock exasperation:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The 30s and 40s is an interesting one. Due to WW2 inbetween the two eras I extended it to 20 years. It would be actually pretty hard to find some quality players from just the 30s. As a lot of guys that debuted missed out on the best part of their careers.

But after the war a whole host of talented cricketers debuted as many countries went for youth policy for various reasons. A lot of their players records during the 40s weren't great, but most dominated in the 50s when they were at their peak.

The way the cookie crumbles really. I expect a few of these guys to be picked up in the last round as well.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, been screwed by Tharmi's curveball. ;)

Pick 1 in the 1920s is easy, last pick, less so. Picking one player from all of those available through the 30s and 40s is ridiculously hard, and for me there's not even the comfort of two or three people going first and making your job as selector easier by narrowing the field. :mock exasperation:
I've been doing some research, and rather than simplifying my already confused state re: pick 1 in 30s-40s, it's made it much worse. It's a silly whinge, as I'm getting first crack at a staggering selection of players, but I'm actually pretty sure I'm going to end up regretting how I use it whatever I do.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I was looking at this and have come up with the list of who I think are the top 6 cricketers to debut in that era – i.e. the six guys I expect to have been picked by the time I get to make my choice. If any of them have slipped through and are still available I’ll take them like a shot, but even if they’re not the players who’d remain available are a staggeringly good selection.

The only other era that I think will have as vast a choice of all time champions is the 1970s.

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Ted McDonald (1921) - Test stats aren't the best but 1st class record is good and according to Bradman the 3rd greatest Australian quick ever.

Sorry for taking so long but I was out on the town last night so obviously could not post

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Les Ames (1929)

Second best wicketkeeper package in history. None of the others left to me would be in the top ten all time at their position.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm going to be away over the weekend (Friday-Sunday) but so that I don't slow down the draft I messaged myself with my selections for each era in order, and perhaps if someone could go to my public message and just select the highest ranked player still available on my list when its my turn? I'll worry about the balance of the side later so just the highest ranked player out of the 7 or 8 I've listed for each era.