• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Udal looking forwards

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Chaminda Vaas, Andre Nel, Craig White, Dominic Cork and who? 8-)
Err, where precisely have I said 1 single 1 of those is better than McGrath?
I have said the good Vaas is better, but I've also said Vaas intersperses brilliance with some of the least penetrative stuff you'll ever see.
I've said neither Cork nor White got anywhere near achieving their potential - both are only credible as Test-standard bowlers for a short period of a year (at different times).
And Nel is only at the start of his career.
The only bowlers who I'd certainly rate above McGrath who played in his time are Donald and Ambrose. I'd rate Pollock as for-all-intents-and-purposes equal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Only calling it as I see it.

And it most certainly is not the other way round.
Err - most of the time the people who've formed their opinion have formed it long before I've formed mine.
Hence it is me doing the agreeing\disagreeing, not the other way around.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
4 or 5 huh, namely?
Donald and Ambrose were IMO certainly better - Pollock is for-all-intents-and-purposes equal, and Wasim was probably a bit better too.
Of course, the Waqar pre-1994 was better, but he was better than almost anyone in the modern era. Also, that was before McGrath's career.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Donald and Ambrose were IMO certainly better - Pollock is for-all-intents-and-purposes equal, and Wasim was probably a bit better too.
Of course, the Waqar pre-1994 was better, but he was better than almost anyone in the modern era. Also, that was before McGrath's career.
I'd give you Ambrose but neither of the rest:

McGrath was definately a better bowler at his peak that Donald in most conditions.

People tend to compare Pollock and McGrath because they are both very metrodomic, but even Pollock at there peaks are just below McGrath in that area and in many others.

Wasim could challenge McGrath's acheivements as a bowler of flat tracks (especially in the sub-continent) but in other conditions i think McGrath would have the edge.

I am aware of Waqar's greatness pre-1994 but i haven't seen him at his best so i cant compare the two.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fanie de Villiers was better than most of them.
Ignore-list or not - you jumping on the South African bandwagon, too? 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
I'd give you Ambrose but neither of the rest:

McGrath was definately a better bowler at his peak that Donald in most conditions.

People tend to compare Pollock and McGrath because they are both very metrodomic, but even Pollock at there peaks are just below McGrath in that area and in many others.

Wasim could challenge McGrath's acheivements as a bowler of flat tracks (especially in the sub-continent) but in other conditions i think McGrath would have the edge.

I am aware of Waqar's greatness pre-1994 but i haven't seen him at his best so i cant compare the two.
I don't need to have seen him at the time. I've read and seen enough to realise that he was a phenominon the like of which has rarely been seen. Of course, it was only for a pretty brief time.
How was McGrath better than Donald? Donald had absolutely everything you could possibly wish for in a seam-bowler. Yes, McGrath can go on to an older age than Donald, but that's it. In everything else, Donald had more than McGrath.
Donald also wins points for performing best against the best batting-line-up of his day (India).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I don't need to have seen him at the time. I've read and seen enough to realise that he was a phenominon the like of which has rarely been seen. Of course, it was only for a pretty brief time.
How was McGrath better than Donald? Donald had absolutely everything you could possibly wish for in a seam-bowler. Yes, McGrath can go on to an older age than Donald, but that's it. In everything else, Donald had more than McGrath.
Donald also wins points for performing best against the best batting-line-up of his day (India).
Well regardless of the fact that McGrath has proven he can still bowl superbly well even when older, McGrath has probably everything you would wish to see in a world class seamer except probably blistering pace, which area's where Donald better than him.

Plus McGrath has performed againts India as well, looking at their stats vs India overall & in India its pretty similar.

McGrath vs India Overall & in India:statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=player;playerid=2101;class=testplayer;filter=basic;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition=0;season=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0;groundid=0;startdefault=1993-11-12;start=1993-11-12;enddefault=2006-01-06;end=2006-01-06;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;scheduledovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;result=0;followon=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recent=;viewtype=aro_summary;runslow=;runshigh=;batposition=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;ballslow=;ballshigh=;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchigh=;wicketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissalshigh=;caughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumpedlow=;stumpedhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Donald vs India Overall & in India:statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=player;playerid=2011;class=testplayer;filter=basic;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition=0;season=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0;groundid=0;startdefault=1992-04-18;start=1992-04-18;enddefault=2002-02-24;end=2002-02-24;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;scheduledovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;result=0;followon=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recent=;viewtype=aro_summary;runslow=;runshigh=;batposition=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;ballslow=;ballshigh=;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchigh=;wicketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissalshigh=;caughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumpedlow=;stumpedhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When did I say McGrath hasn't got good figures against India, too?
And can you please use the tool provided for shortening URLs!!!!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Usually it just shortens itself though, when they're that long. :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you don't understand that, too, you could just press the quote button on my post and use the template there.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Richard said:
If you don't understand that, too, you could just press the quote button on my post and use the template there.
If you mean the "insert link" one it doesn't work on my browser. Well it half works, I can't change the url into "Bell vrs Bangladesh" or whatnot anymore, used to be able too. If I have an inordinately large link I tend to use tinyurl or whatever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eh?
I have always been able to, and have just checked to assure I still can, press the "URL" button, paste the thing, press OK, then type the intended text when the highlighted prompt comes up.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
And what are you the tool for doing?

;)

edit: He's a bradawl - used for boring

Last edited: