• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two cricketing legends....but who was more essential?

PY

International Coach
In the past year, cricket has said 'cheerio' to two great players on the international scene.

For England, Alec Stewart played his last Test match in front of his home crowd at The Oval against South Africa.

He played in a total of 133 Test matches amassing 8463 runs at an average of 39.54 with 15 hundreds and 45 fifties. Not only was he a stalwart with the bat but also a solid man behind the stumps which enabled him to take 263 catches and make 14 stumpings. He also captained his country on 15 occasions with the last being in 2001 vs Pakistan. Stewart always had a smile on his face and will be remembered as a good-natured man as well as an excellent cricketer.

For Australia, Steve 'Tugger' Waugh, the one of the two cricketing brothers to grace the international stage.

In a career spanning 18 years, Waugh took part in 168 Test matches all across the globe accumalating 10,927 runs at an average of 51.06 with a total of 32 centuries and 50 fifties. Waugh also decide to bow out of Test cricket in front of his home crowd in Sydney against India. While Stewart had his 'keeping to keep him going, Waugh will probably always be remembered as the captain of what is arguably THE best Test team ever and definitely the best in recent times (the authors recent times!!). Under his leadership in 57 Test matches, Australia won an incredible 41 of these games. One of Waugh's best features was his grit and determination which set him apart from other batsman, he priced his wicket too highly to give it away and that's the key to the player. Always determined to do his best and his best was always good enough.

Now, the key question to this thread is, now that these two players have left their respective sides, which out of England and Australia will miss Alec Stewart and Steve Waugh respectively the most?

England have lost their most experienced player, a good wicketkeeper and an excellent batsman.

Australia have lost their most experienced player, an excellent batsman and very good captain.

Discuss.

I will post my opinions later because the screen is beginning to wobble now.

:)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
By the time Stewie retired he was but a shadow of his past glory, so England have IMO hardly changed... although you could say the same thing for Waugh, but Katich seems to have stepped up to the plate, and Clarke is clearly better than Bradman.

However, both have invaluable experience so may be a loss.. or not.. in short, I have no idea and am waffling.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Both were players of exceptional ability, but neither will be missed in the long term for the simple reason that both retired with careers which were on the wane (although only slightly).

At the end of the day, sides move on. Sure, there will be a short-term loss - the experience both have cannot be replaced at a stroke.

For England, they go into a test series against West Indies with no-one who has scored any quantity of runs in the islands and with doubts over the wicket-keeping position (a reason which may sway the selectors to give Geraint Jones first dig).

For Australia - well, runs in the middle order have never really been in short supply, but Waugh's dynamic captaincy might be missed - although Ricky Ponting looks to be made of the right stuff.

So - short term, Australia - a bit; England - maybe a lot.
Long term - not at all.

FRAZ

International Captain
PY said:
In the past year, cricket has said 'cheerio' to two great players on the international scene.

For England, Alec Stewart played his last Test match in front of his home crowd at The Oval against South Africa.

He played in a total of 133 Test matches amassing 8463 runs at an average of 39.54 with 15 hundreds and 45 fifties. Not only was he a stalwart with the bat but also a solid man behind the stumps which enabled him to take 263 catches and make 14 stumpings. He also captained his country on 15 occasions with the last being in 2001 vs Pakistan. Stewart always had a smile on his face and will be remembered as a good-natured man as well as an excellent cricketer.

For Australia, Steve 'Tugger' Waugh, the one of the two cricketing brothers to grace the international stage.

In a career spanning 18 years, Waugh took part in 168 Test matches all across the globe accumalating 10,927 runs at an average of 51.06 with a total of 32 centuries and 50 fifties. Waugh also decide to bow out of Test cricket in front of his home crowd in Sydney against India. While Stewart had his 'keeping to keep him going, Waugh will probably always be remembered as the captain of what is arguably THE best Test team ever and definitely the best in recent times (the authors recent times!!). Under his leadership in 57 Test matches, Australia won an incredible 41 of these games. One of Waugh's best features was his grit and determination which set him apart from other batsman, he priced his wicket too highly to give it away and that's the key to the player. Always determined to do his best and his best was always good enough.

Now, the key question to this thread is, now that these two players have left their respective sides, which out of England and Australia will miss Alec Stewart and Steve Waugh respectively the most?

England have lost their most experienced player, a good wicketkeeper and an excellent batsman.

Australia have lost their most experienced player, an excellent batsman and very good captain.

Discuss.

I will post my opinions later because the screen is beginning to wobble now.

:)
Alec Stewert legend ????????:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Two cricketing legends....but who was more essential?

FRAZ said:
Alec Stewert legend ????????:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, certainly.
To play as long as he did (especially starting at 26), and bat while keeping wicket and retain such high standards at both, is a phenominal effort.
It is a real shame his Test-batting-average ended below 40. Just a relief Waugh's didn't end below 50.

Sudeep

International Captain
So far, according to my knowledge, only four cricketers have been given the accolade of "Sir." Should the same be given to Steve Waugh?

Sir Steve Waugh?

I'm all for it.

iamdavid

International Debutant
PY said:
Its Tugga , not Tugger :P

As for who will be missed more then obviously Stewart , Australia will miss Waugh but they have Lehmann , who while not quite in Waugh's league is a seasoned batsman worthy of a test place , he has plenty of experience & will contribute occasionally with the ball.

England have Chris Read , a brilliant keeper to seamers & an average one to tweakers , he has Stewart covered with the gloves , but any comparison in the batting department is laughable , they also have Geraint Jones who for all his promise (and the fact he was raised in Australia :D) , has only 1 good season behind him.

Stewart provided so much depth , depth England clearly missed in Sri Lanka , while Waugh was a huge part of Australia's succes in the last decade the setup of the team is not hugely different without him.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Sudeep Popat said:
So far, according to my knowledge, only four cricketers have been given the accolade of "Sir."
There are actually close to two dozen, though not all were knighted for their playing ability:Cricketing Knights
It is not inconceivable that Waugh might join them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Adamc said:
If he is, I think it will be more to do with his charity work.

I personally cannot see it happening though...

Sudeep

International Captain
Adamc said:
There are actually close to two dozen, though not all were knighted for their playing ability:Cricketing Knights
Oh wow, quite a lot. As soon as I posted I was able to recollect 2 more... But nice to have my knowledge increase from six to these many. The only ones I knew of were Sir Don, Sir Gary, Sir Viv, Sir Hadlee, Sir Len, Sir Hobbs.

Yeah would be nice for Tugga to join the club.