• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TWC quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for posting those answers Peter. I have reposted my answers with the ones I answered incorrectly in red. It appears I scored 46/50, which I consider a very reasonable effort. I had considered Botham for 41 but discounted him, and should've got 16. Whilst I found different links to 30 and 32, TWC's answers sound more appropriate.

2009 remembered

1 Which ground provided the unusual sight in a Test match of a bowler starting his run-up from inside the penalty area?
Antigua Recreation Ground (in St.Johns, Antigua)

2 Which former Gloucestershire cricketer, dismissed for 111 when scoring his maiden first-class century, died in 2009?
Sir Derrick Bailey

3 Possible future participation in which activity prevented Andrew Flintoff from signing an England contract, according to his agent Chubby Chandler?
Bungee-jumping

4 Which test cricketer called it a day in first class cricket after losing his off stump to a novice (though he was clearly batting on a substandard surface)?
Michael Vaughan

5 What first occurred in the 2009 Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack?
A woman [Claire Taylor] was named one of Wisden’s Five Cricketers of the Year

6 What 75-year Test hoodoo was finally broken?
England beating Australia in an Ashes Test at Lord’s

7 Which studious partnership was blamed by many for England’s defeat by West Indies in the Twenty20 World Cup?
Duckworth and Lewis

8 Which double-agent grafted his way past one of Don Bradman's records?
Justin Langer

9 Which son of a former England test wicketkeeper, on his first class debut, was thrown the gauntlets in the second innings and took four catches out of the six wickets to fall?
Jonathan Bairstow

10 Which ‘new Ian Botham’ ended up as the new Norman Stanley Fletcher?
Chris Lewis

Testing Times

11 Who is England’s leading Test run scorer in the Noughties (2000-2009)?
Marcus Trescothick

12 Who is England’s leading Test wicket-taker in the Noughties (2000-2009)?
Matthew Hoggard

13 What links the following pairs: Ian Botham and Gordon Greenidge; Andrew Caddick and Gary Kirsten; Mike Atherton and Jack Russell; Alec Stewart and Nathan Astle?
Each pair of players shared the player of the match award in the same test match

14 What honour links Joel Garner, George Headley, Malcolm Marshall and Brian Statham?
All four players have ends named after them at international cricket grounds

15 In the controversial Oval test against Pakistan Kevin Pietersen’s big hitting was said to have damaged the ‘tampered’ ball. How many sixes did KP belt with the offending ball?
Zero

16 At Cardiff in July 2009 James Anderson and Monty Panesar held out for 69 deliveries. What was the previous record for most balls survived by Nos.10 and 11 at the end of a Test?
60 balls (by Darren Powell and Fidel Edwards) - 64 balls - made by Simon Doull and Shayne O'Connor for New Zealand at Hobart in 1997

17 Who is the odd one out and why?
Jonathan Agnew, Phillip Hughes, Graeme Swann and Ian Bell
Ian Bell is the odd one out as he is the only one without an active, genuine Twitter account

18 Who is the odd one out and why?
Greg Ritchie, Clive Lloyd, Phil Tufnell and James Anderson
James Anderson is the odd one out as he is the only one without a “cat” nickname

19 In the 1970s what practice, now commonplace, was considered so objectionable by two of the opposition that they refused to play in a test against England?
Playing Test cricket on Sundays

20 Which Lancashire player's stop-start Test career meant he missed ‘the next test’ on more occasions than any other cricketer - over 20 times?
Brian Statham

21 Name the former Test cricketer in the following anagram: TALL GREY BOWLER IS IGNORED
Robert George Dylan Willis (better known as Bob Willis)

22 Middlesex kindly provided Phillip Hughes with batting practice in 2009 but which county, since the War, once selected for a championship fixture four overseas Test players who would, later the same summer, beat England in two Tests?
Warwickshire was the county, and Rohan Kanhai, Alvin Kallicharan, Deryck Murray and Lance Gibbs were the players

Anoraks corner

23 Prior to summer 2009 when was the last time that six wickets fell before lunch on the first scheduled day of a Headingley test?
In 1899 in the Headingley Ashes test between England and Australia

24 Which opening batsman in the second innings of an Ashes Test decided it would be best if he took all the bowling from one end, not taking the strike at the opposite end until the 40th over?
Arthur Morris

25 Why did Don Tallon receive no applause on scoring a first-class century?
Tallon was dismissed for 96 for Queensland against New South Wales, but at the close of play, the opposition wicket-keeper, Bert Oldfield, pointed out that Tallon had touched a ball that was signaled as four byes. These were then given to Tallon, giving him a century, but as he had already departed for 96, he therefore received no applause.

26 Name the four players who have scored over 4,000 Test runs, all been ranked No.1 Test batsman by the ICC rankings yet never scored a test century in England.
Kumar Sangakkara, Doug Walters, Andy Flower and Alvin Kallicharran

Connections

27 What cinematically links Jack Hobbs, Michael Slater, Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar?
The players were possible answers to a TV quiz question in the movie ‘Slumdog Millionaire’

28 What unhappily links Paul Collingwood, Hansie Cronje, Desmond Haynes and Peter Roebuck?
They all captained their national side to a loss in a limited overs match against the Netherlands

29 What unimaginatively links Mike Atherton, Michael Vaughan, Mike Denness and Denis Compton?
They all wrote an autobiography with the same title already used by another cricketer for their autobiography

30 What painfully links Inzamam-ul-Haq, Rohan Kanhai, Arjuna Ranatunga and Graeme Smith?
They all batted in a test match (official or unofficial) with a hand injury - Have all been denied a runner in Tests or ODIs

31 What repeated feat speedily links Michael Bevan, Jimmy Cook, Graeme Hick and Eric Russell?
First batsman to score 1,000 first class runs in an English season

32 What frustratingly links Anil Kumble, Courtney Walsh, Wasim Akram and Makhaya Ntini?
They have all taken 10 wickets in a first class match in vain because they still ended up on the losing side - They've never reached No. 1 in the ICC Test bowlers rankings (all have reached No. 2)

Off Field Highlights

33 Which black teenager – famous for frequently invading the pitch at Lord’s – appeared in Wisden’s obituaries during the 1960s?
Peter the Lord’s Cat

34 Which batsman, taking strike right-handed in fading light, adorned the cover of a 1970s UK top-10 album?
Elton John

35 Translate this sentence into modern day cricketing parlance: "He played the goose game after a scout had buttered him in the box"
He [a batsman] played extremely cautiously/defensively after a fielder had dropped him at gully/backward point

36 Which fictional cricketer in the 1950s; made a century on Test debut; once stonewalled for six runs between lunch and tea; and signed off, lbw, with an emotional second-ball duck?
Sam Palmer

37 How did Flintoff, Pietersen and Vaughan make living history alongside the Queen in 2005?
They were the first living people, apart from the Royal Family, to be recognizable on Royal Mail stamps

Fantastic Feats

38 Mitchell Johnson, playing in his 23rd test, became the quickest Australian player to amass 500 runs and 100 wickets. Whom did he displace?
Geoff Lawson

39 Though many cricket historians seriously doubt its authenticity, what almighty feat has not been bettered since 1856, according to Wisden?
The longest distance a cricket ball has been hit (175 yards)

40 Apart from Sir Ian Botham which England player has won the most Test man-of-the-match awards against Australia?
Derek Randall

41 Stuart Broad registered the quickest five-for (taking his fifth wicket after bowling 8.4 overs) by an England bowler in an Ashes test since the War. Who had done the previous best?
Bob Willlis - Ian Botham

42 Andrew Flintoff, following his 5 for 92 in 2009, now appears on both the batting and bowling honours boards at Lord’s. Which six other players are also in this select club?
Sir Ian Botham, Ray Illingworth, Sir Gubby Allen, Sir Garfield Sobers, Keith Miller and Vinoo Mankad

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
For the record, those that submitted their answers on CW:
TambourineMan: 48/50 (23 and 38 incorrect)
Womble: no more than 48/50 (23 and 41 incorrect) - didn't post the rest though so not sure on Womble's final tally
Somerset: 46/50 (16, 30, 32 and 41 incorrect)
Peter: 46/50 (28, 30, 32 and 35 incorrect)
Brears: 45/50 (28, 30, 32, 35 and 41 incorrect)

Funnily enough, we managed to get all the answers between us, but no one with a perfect 50!

peter1

Cricket Spectator
For the record Somerset, the winner got question 40 wrong, apparently because the question didn't have the word 'Ashes' in so he didn't answer with Randall as he only got 3 in 'Ashes' tests (and one in the Centenary Test) but Flintoff who also got 3 (along with many others I believe).

womble

Cricket Spectator
For the record, those that submitted their answers on CW:
TambourineMan: 48/50 (23 and 38 incorrect)
Womble: no more than 48/50 (23 and 41 incorrect) - didn't post the rest though so not sure on Womble's final tally
Somerset: 46/50 (16, 30, 32 and 41 incorrect)
Peter: 46/50 (28, 30, 32 and 35 incorrect)
Brears: 45/50 (28, 30, 32, 35 and 41 incorrect)

Funnily enough, we managed to get all the answers between us, but no one with a perfect 50!
I ended up with a very poor 41/50. (worst performance in the 3 years I've entered). Should have got 43/50, as got answer to 36 and realised I'd fallen into the trap for 15 about half an hour after sending my entry. Also missed 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 35 & 41.

peter1

Cricket Spectator
I didn't count but I would say it was probably days not hours for me! Man I'm sad.
By the way, many thanks Fred for all the help and support you gave us. Your knowledge was invaluable and certainly increased our scores.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
So come on gents - be honest now - how many hours did you spend on this?
As it was over Christmas and I didn't have university to attend, I was prepared to take plenty of time to try and get the answers as I didn't have other commitments. In excess of 50 hours though I'd imagine. In saying that, I doubt spending 60 next year would ensure a perfect score - that won't stop me entering again though!

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
By the way, many thanks Fred for all the help and support you gave us. Your knowledge was invaluable and certainly increased our scores.
I echo those comments and believe if you did decide to enter in a future year's quiz I'd back you to score extremely highly.

Brears

Cricket Spectator
Disappointing to miss out on questions that appear so obvious when you see the answer! I think the lesson is that between us we got 50! With a little cooperation in 2010 we should nail it!
All the best for the English season to those who play
Brears

Status
Not open for further replies.