• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

tuffey vs harmison

whos better?

• Tuffey(NZ)

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Harmison(ENG)

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PY

International Coach
For the record, I will be quite happy if Harmison ends up with similar career figures as Andy Caddick or Darren Gough as they were world-class bowlers but they weren't greats of the game.

Obviously I would like him to go to the very top but I'm not unrealistic, I know that's unlikely to happen.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
koch_cha said:
thats a total of 18 out of 72 exactly 25% is that enough then he is the Greatest bowler

and u could may count out Love x 2, ganguly the one who dont play pace??
Eddie made a point of not including any West Indians, New Zealanders or Bangladeshis. If you include the likes of Lara x3 and Gayle x4 (make sure TEC doesn't see this thread) as well as other West Indians and New Zealanders, then that 25% goes up dramatically.
Re: Ganguly, are you suggesting his wicket is worthless to pace bowlers?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
The South Africans had little trouble against him, his series average was over 70 before the innings you mention. Going for over 200 runs against New Zealand while taking 8 wickets is by no means destroying them, its simply an acceptable performance. Anyone with pace can get wickets against the West Indies on bouncy tracks or against Bangladesh.
You're arguing against yourself, because all I've said is that Harmison is the best bowler in the English side at the moment. If in the process I can make you look a little foolish by pointing out that the 8 against New Zealand was better than anyone else did in the match, it was on a flat track and New Zealand are by all accounts the third best side in the world, so be it, but it would be a hollow victory on my part.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
koch_cha said:
thats a total of 18 out of 72 exactly 25% is that enough then he is the Greatest bowler

and u could may count out Love x 2, ganguly the one who dont play pace??
You're just a being deliberately silly, aren't you?

You have just mentioned the word 'great', not me - I said that he was the best bowler at the moment in the English team - or do you prefer Hoggard, Flintoff or Jones? No?

So you're a Giles man, eh?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Meh, he'll be better than snow and willis put together, mark my words... :happy:
I know you meant that as a joke, but you just might have kept this flame war going for a few more hours. :p

Do you think that koch_cha and a massive zebra will fit in the same barrel?

biased indian

International Coach
Stephen J Harmison - Statistical Summary

Versus ------O M R W 5w 10w Best Avg S/R E/R
Australia ----132.3 28 455 9 0 0 3/70 50.56 88.33 3.43
India -------49 12 120 5 0 0 3/57 24.00 58.80 2.45
New Zealand-60 15 202 8 0 0 4/76 25.25 45.00 3.37
South Africa--129.2 26 413 9 0 0 4/33 45.89 86.22 3.19

Bangladesh -46.5 17 79 9 1 0 5/35 8.78 31.22 1.69
West Indies -139.5 41 342 23 2 0 7/12 14.87 36.48 2.45
Zimbabwe ---58.5 16 148 9 0 0 4/55 16.44 39.22 2.52

Overall (17) ---616.2 155 1759 72 3 0 7/12 24.43 51.36 2.85

biased indian

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
You're just a being deliberately silly, aren't you?

You have just mentioned the word 'great', not me - I said that he was the best bowler at the moment in the English team - or do you prefer Hoggard, Flintoff or Jones? No?

So you're a Giles man, eh?
for me its giles left arm around the wicket bowler :ph34r:

twctopcat

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
I know you meant that as a joke, but you just might have kept this flame war going for a few more hours. :p

Do you think that koch_cha and a massive zebra will fit in the same barrel?
Joking, me? Never.

biased indian

International Coach
twctopcat said:
That's the important part, early promise, good potential, england's best form bowler.
early promise there was no promise in the first 10 test

good potential->thats what the debate is all about

england's best form bowler-> true

PY

International Coach
Hmm, interesting....are you arguing that Harmison has no potential?

That is even more bewildering....:wacko:

PY

International Coach
I was under the impression was that we were agreed that he has the potential to be great but whether he will or not is what was being debated.

Maybe I have just mis-understood. :whistling

twctopcat

International Regular
koch_cha said:

It is the start of his career so we'll let him off the "no promise whatsoever in the first 10". Cricket isn't as black and white as brilliant and terrible. If it took him 10 tests to reach the level where he is supposedly no.2 in the world then i suppose that is a bit much to ask. And promise isn't always about results. Pathan hasn't blitzed his first few tests in terms or results (best 4/100?) but he has shown promise nonetheless.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
koch_cha said:

No potential in raw statistics, but there was if you actually watched him bowl.

Breakdown of Harmison's wickets by batting position:

Top Order (1-3) - 24 (33.3%)
Middle Order (4-7) - 27 (37.5%)
Tail (8-11) - 21 (29.2%)
Estimated Average Position of Wicket: 5.50

That compares as fairly similar to the following:

Darren Gough: 229 Test Wickets
Estimated Average Position of Wicket: 5.29

Glenn McGrath: 430 Test Wickets
EAPW: 5.16

Sean Pollock: 326 Test Wickets
EAPW: 5.44

Chaminda Vaas: 229 Test Wickets
EAPW: 5.21

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
twctopcat said:
It is the start of his career so we'll let him off the "no promise whatsoever in the first 10". Cricket isn't as black and white as brilliant and terrible. If it took him 10 tests to reach the level where he is supposedly no.2 in the world then i suppose that is a bit much to ask. And promise isn't always about results. Pathan hasn't blitzed his first few tests in terms or results (best 4/100?) but he has shown promise nonetheless.
I remind everyone of Glenn McGrath's early career..

Why can't people even accept that he has the potential to be up there?!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
im an aussie (neutral force here) and i have a right to be against both kiwis and poms *cough cough*
i think tuffey is better than harmison... they`re about equal in the longer version of the game but tuffey is by far the better in one-dayers. as for batting... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

twctopcat

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
I remind everyone of Glenn McGrath's early career..

Why can't people even accept that he has the potential to be up there?!
Beats me, i'd say it was due to England being in the doldrums of test cricket against the important opposition for so long that people don't believe that this terrible cricketing nation may finally be getting a team and more specifically a bowler worth talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.