• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trading Game

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I've really enjoyed this too - if it were to happen again I would make 1 suggestion.

The team ranked worst should be able to make an auto trade for any player he wants. Then, the second worst team and so forth. You could make a rule where a maximum of 2 players can be traded from the top 4 teams, and say 1 player from team 5 and 6.

Eg:
Zim trade out Chris Mpofu and bring in Dale Steyn.
Bang trade out Rubel Hossain and bring in Sachin Tendulkar
NZ (are they 8th?) trade out BJ Watling and bring in Virender Sehwag
WI trade out Carlton Baugh and bring in Matt Prior
Pak trade out Asad Shafiq and bring in Shane Watson
SL trade out Dilhara Fernando and bring in James Anderson

Etc..

Eds

International Debutant
I've really enjoyed this too - if it were to happen again I would make 1 suggestion.

The team ranked worst should be able to make an auto trade for any player he wants. Then, the second worst team and so forth. You could make a rule where a maximum of 2 players can be traded from the top 4 teams, and say 1 player from team 5 and 6.

Eg:

Etc..
Yeah, I think that would work as long as the player they get rid of is in their 14 (or increase the squad size if this were to happen again).

I think it's all about getting good, active managers who are willing to negotiate. The more active it is, the better AFAIC.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cheers for running this, Hurricane. Great game.

Eg:

Etc..
Well, you could, but you'd have to have a rule where they can only bring in players from different teams. Otherwise one of England/SA/India could get completely nerfed before the draft even starts.

Besides, it's quite fair anyway so long as you make it about who improved their side the most.

Eds

International Debutant
Besides, it's quite fair anyway so long as you make it about who improved their side the most.
Yeah, I agree with this. Realistically, the managers of the likes on Bangladesh and Zimbabwe shouldn't be aiming to go and beat the likes of England, but get closer or overtake the likes of the West Indies, New Zealand, Sri Lanka etc.

Would definitely be keen for another version of this some time if every manager was active and negotiating. Really fancied a few Saffas for example.

- Bigger squads.
- Simmage.
- Keep the guys who were active in this one and replace those that weren't.

That would be seriously good.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Well done Hurricane for running a good game. Really enjoyed following it and hopefully I can get in on the action for next time (dibs on Pakistan).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well, you could, but you'd have to have a rule where they can only bring in players from different teams. Otherwise one of England/SA/India could get completely nerfed before the draft even starts.

Or you could do exactly what I suggested in the post that you quoted.

Two players max from the top 4 teams (Eng, Ind, SA, Aus) and 1 player from teams 5 and 6 (Pak and SL) - This would help the lower ranked teams ensure they keep Vettori, Shakib etc..

I just think it's always fun to have a few added twists, it gets a bit repetitive if you do the same format over and over.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks lads and thanks for making it a success.

In terms of NUFANs idea - anyone is welcome to, at some time in the future, put their own twist on the game and run it.

I think you need to carefully examine the objectives of what you are trying to do though. If it just who improved their team the most then I think NUFAN won the game. If it is who ends up with the best team then you need to do something like NUFAN is suggesting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Somerset didn't actually make any trades, so I've ignored South Africa completely.

This is how the original teams were rated:

England (Eds) - 114.10
Australia (Blakus) - 113.64
India (Turbinator) - 105.29
Pakistan (Howe_zat) - 87.05
New Zealand (Hurricane) - 84.71
Sri Lanka (Athlai) - 80.92
West Indies (ganeshran) - 74.27
Bangladesh (NUFAN) - 51.89
Zimbabwe (morgieb) - 47.10

This is how they were rated post-trading:

England (Eds) - 119.50
Australia (Blakus) - 104.31
Sri Lanka (Athlai) - 103.78
India (Turbinator) - 101.75
Pakistan (Howe_zat) - 97.85
New Zealand (Hurricane) - 87.58
West Indies (ganeshran) - 65.67
Bangladesh (NUFAN) - 62.02
Zimbabwe (morgieb) - 49.76

Athlai was the big winner there. Howe_zat and Hurricane both managed to improve their sides but slid down the rankings anyway because of Athlai's h4x. Turb, Blakus and ganeshran made their sides worse.

Code:
				Before	After	Index

Sri Lanka	Athlai		80.92	103.78	1.28
Bangladesh	NUFAN		51.89	62.02	1.20
Pakistan	Howe_zat	87.05	97.85	1.12
Zimbabwe	morgieb		47.1	49.76	1.06
England		Eds		114.1	119.5	1.05
New Zealand	Hurricane	84.71	87.58	1.03
India		Turbinator	105.29	101.75	0.97
Australia	Blakus		113.64	104.31	0.92
West Indies	ganeshran	74.27	65.67	0.88
So Athlai wins; pretty much. :p

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

I guess I had a long term focus in mind and was too hell-bent on acquiring a strong bowling attack. Gambhir's woeful dip in form and Laxman not having many years left certainly swayed my decisions.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:laugh:

I guess I had a long term focus in mind and was too hell-bent on acquiring a strong bowling attack. Gambhir's woeful dip in form and Laxman not having many years left certainly swayed my decisions.
It's Cummins that's the problem. If you just drop him for Yadav who's on your bench then your rating goes up to 106.44 which is a slight improvement on your original side and would make India World #2 after trading.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
It's Cummins that's the problem. If you just drop him for Yadav who's on your bench then your rating goes up to 106.44 which is a slight improvement on your original side and would make India World #2 after trading.
Heh, I see. You should've made that change for me :p

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Somerset didn't actually make any trades, so I've ignored South Africa completely.

This is how the original teams were rated:

England (Eds) - 114.10
Australia (Blakus) - 113.64
India (Turbinator) - 105.29
Pakistan (Howe_zat) - 87.05
New Zealand (Hurricane) - 84.71
Sri Lanka (Athlai) - 80.92
West Indies (ganeshran) - 74.27
Bangladesh (NUFAN) - 51.89
Zimbabwe (morgieb) - 47.10

This is how they were rated post-trading:

England (Eds) - 119.50
Australia (Blakus) - 104.31
Sri Lanka (Athlai) - 103.78
India (Turbinator) - 101.75
Pakistan (Howe_zat) - 97.85
New Zealand (Hurricane) - 87.58
West Indies (ganeshran) - 65.67
Bangladesh (NUFAN) - 62.02
Zimbabwe (morgieb) - 49.76

Athlai was the big winner there. Howe_zat and Hurricane both managed to improve their sides but slid down the rankings anyway because of Athlai's h4x. Turb, Blakus and ganeshran made their sides worse.

Code:
				Before	After	Index

Sri Lanka	Athlai		80.92	103.78	1.28
Bangladesh	NUFAN		51.89	62.02	1.20
Pakistan	Howe_zat	87.05	97.85	1.12
Zimbabwe	morgieb		47.1	49.76	1.06
England		Eds		114.1	119.5	1.05
New Zealand	Hurricane	84.71	87.58	1.03
India		Turbinator	105.29	101.75	0.97
Australia	Blakus		113.64	104.31	0.92
West Indies	ganeshran	74.27	65.67	0.88
So Athlai wins; pretty much. :p
I thought Morgie would go down - and expected my team to go up by more. Got a better opener and got a better keeper.

Also expected NUFAN to go up by more. But now that I think about it - his rating of 62 sounds fair.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I thought Morgie would go down - and expected my team to go up by more. Got a better opener and got a better keeper.

Also expected NUFAN to go up by more. But now that I think about it - his rating of 62 sounds fair.
Morgie kinda cheated a bit by posting Zimbabwe's "last Test side" instead of the side they'd play right now as they had a couple of injuries for that match. I think Zimbabwe's best eleven would be a better one than what he managed. :p

NUFAN suffered due to not having any recognisable part-time bowlers at all. He only had four blokes who can get it down the other end at all which counted against him, particularly in comparison to his original team that had seven bowling options in it.

Eds

International Debutant
I had approximately 0 chance of winning as England, then? :p

Needed to get the side up to about a 138 ranking. That's got to be close to a World XI Cribboto?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I had approximately 0 chance of winning as England, then? :p

Needed to get the side up to about a 138 ranking. That's got to be close to a World XI Cribboto?
Well if you dropped Strauss for Katich it'd go up to 126.18. No fifth bowler hurts you a bit currently.