• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Cat the Prophet

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Those who felt he wouldn't and shouldn't be picked (me), those who felt he should and would be picked (you) and then those who felt that he would but shouldn't be picked. You're just as prophetic as the final group. They too felt that Morgan was going to be picked... they just felt that there were possibly better options ahead of him, and tbph Morgan has done nothing to prove them, or me, wrong.
I dont recall the final group @ least during the BANG series thread. You probably talking about after that thread while i was banned with that final group.

Plus i'd love to know who where/are the better middle-order options in county cricket than Morgan ATM???.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Those who felt he wouldn't and shouldn't be picked (me), those who felt he should and would be picked (you) and then those who felt that he would but shouldn't be picked. You're just as prophetic as the final group. They too felt that Morgan was going to be picked... they just felt that there were possibly better options ahead of him, and tbph Morgan has done nothing to prove them, or me, wrong.[/QUOTE]

I dont recall the final group @ least during the BANG series thread. You probably talking about after that thread while i was banned with that final group.

Plus i'd love to know who where/are the better middle-order options in county cricket than Morgan ATM???.
NO. If you want these **** arguments, go elsewhere.

Craig

World Traveller
Well as i said then ATT. If you where following Inter's progress under Mourinho after those group matches. You would have seen what i saw ATT, that they had what it takes to beat Barca.

Thats irrelevant. My position ATT was that he had to picked for the test team even without strong FC form, since he was clearly the best batsman in the country behind the main middle-order of Trott/KP/Colly/Bell. Whether he has had/will have huge success (i certainly predict again he will) as a test batsman is different question

Most of you CW based on comments in that thread would have probably picked CD Nash or JK Adams given the strong insistance that players couldn't be picked unless they had a strong FC season.
Let's just say if you were to point a gun to my head and made me take a bet on who were to win, I would of backed Barca.

Flem274*

123/5
Cut out the insults, Flem, they're not helping anything.
Marcuss has been suckered into having an argument with aussie about whether Morgan should have been picked in a gun calls/shocking calls thread. It's irrelevant to the thread subject.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good point actually.

Aussie and co., let's try to get this back on track; this isn't the place to discuss Morgan's credentials as a batsman. Still no need for the insults though, Flem.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hildreth says Hi
Watching Hildreth bat i would say no quite easily. Morgan definately the better player He obviously has the FC runs over Morgan, but questions marks remain whether he can cut in international cricket for me. Playing @ taunton doesn't help, although he certianly seemed to step up this season gone. I would have certainly had Hidreth in the current Ashes squad touring squad however.

Flem274*

123/5
Blah blah blah Morgan blah blah blah
Good point actually.

Aussie and co., let's try to get this back on track; this isn't the place to discuss Morgan's credentials as a batsman. Still no need for the insults though, Flem.
Tbh.

Back on track...

Going to call England for an Ashes victory. Not confident at all but I'll have a go. Predicted Vettori to gun it in the ODI today on MSN. Conversely said "get Elliott off" and he picked up two wickets.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Watching Hildreth bat i would say no quite easily. Morgan definately the better player He obviously has the FC runs over Morgan, but questions marks remain whether he can cut in international cricket for me. Playing @ taunton doesn't help, although he certianly seemed to step up this season gone. I would have certainly had Hidreth in the current Ashes squad touring squad however.
Stop using Taunton against using Hildreth as a viable option. Morgan plays at Lords one of the flattest tracks in England over the last ten years and has a significantly lower average.

"Having watched Hildreth bat I would say no quite easily"? So this year when you watched him average 65 in FC cricket with 7 centuries he was quite obviously worse than Morgan? He was obviously not cut out to score international runs despite having scored 537 at 76 in the Friends Provident?

Atop to the fact that he is one of the most technically correct batsmen on the county scene and an exemplary player of spin? Aussie, stop confusing seeing a batsmen play once and getting out early as proving they aren't cut out for International cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Stop using Taunton against using Hildreth as a viable option. Morgan plays at Lords one of the flattest tracks in England over the last ten years and has a significantly lower average.

"Having watched Hildreth bat I would say no quite easily"? So this year when you watched him average 65 in FC cricket with 7 centuries he was quite obviously worse than Morgan? He was obviously not cut out to score international runs despite having scored 537 at 76 in the Friends Provident?

Atop to the fact that he is one of the most technically correct batsmen on the county scene and an exemplary player of spin? Aussie, stop confusing seeing a batsmen play once and getting out early as proving they aren't cut out for International cricket.
Why is using Taunton againts Hildreth not a viable option?. Because you said so?.

It always will be & was used againts before his breakout season this year. Since before this year he was seen as young batsman not fullfilling early potential, stucking on the traditional flatest wicket in the country taunton. Which is why my position on Hildreth is although he had his breakout season this year, given the standard of bowling in county cricket isn't that great, like all ENG players who has done well in county cricket. I want to see him againts international bowling before i make a firm judgement on him. Since recent history with the likes of Hick & Ramprakash (Bopara just recently)
struggles in tests would tell us, not because you dominat in CC - is that a clear guide to how you may go in international cricket if picked.

Morgans runs @ middlesex is irrelevant. Since he wasn't picked for tests based on FC form. It was based his exploits in ODI & T20 where he just looked the goods facing international bowling of high quality, which he would have never faced in domestic cricket.

Hildreth's technique is ok. I wouldn't go that far in saying he is one of the most "technically correct" batsmen in county cricket however. When the bowler comes into bowl, he is fairly steady at the crease, with a slight trigger to the off-side
when the ball is delivered. But he has a very high back-lift, which could get him into trouble againts international bowlers to sharp inswinger or yorkers i would think.

Morgan has his technical issues as well, which where exposed vs PAK after his hundred. But we would have never known about those technical problems, since he would have never faced an attack in county cricket like the PAK attack this summer, capable of exposing that flaw.

I dont know what you are ranting of about me...."confusing seeing a batsmen play once and getting out early as proving they aren't cut out for International cricket. Dont be giving noone any impression, coming over here on CW from planetcricket, with your misguided view of how i judge county players in this country.

I have seen Hildreth bath more than one times & for the one millionth time, this is how i jude players in county cricket.Given the standard in county cricket is not great, when a players is/has done well in season in any format. I take the perfoming players county
stats into consideration, and then after that consider how good they look when I've seen them play.

But someone by people has yourself, that logic has been miscontrued quite ridiculously.

Last edited:

andyc

Why is using Taunton againts Hildreth not a viable option?. Because you said so?.

It always will be & was used againts before his breakout season this year. Since before this year he was seen as young batsman not fullfilling early potential, stucking on the traditional flatest wicket in the country taunton. Which is why my position on Hildreth is although he had his breakout season this year, given the standard of bowling in county cricket isn't that great, like all ENG players who has done well in county cricket. I want to see him againts international bowling before i make a firm judgement on him. Since recent history with the likes of Hick & Ramprakash (Bopara just recently)
struggles in tests would tell us, not because you dominat in CC - is that a clear guide to how you may go in international cricket if picked.

Morgans runs @ middlesex is irrelevant. Since he wasn't picked for tests based on FC form. It was based his exploits in ODI & T20 where he just looked the goods facing international bowling of high quality, which he have never faced in domestic cricket.

Hildreth's technique is ok. I wouldn't go that far in saying he is one of the most "technically correct" batsmen in county cricket however. When the bowler comes into bowl, he is fairly steady at the crease, with a slight trigger to the off-side
when the ball is delivered. But he has a very high back-lift, which could get him into trouble againts international bowlers to sharp inswinger or yorkers i would think.

Morgan has his technical issues as well, which where exposed vs PAK after his hundred. But we would have never known about those technical problems, since he would have never faced an attack in county cricket like the PAK attack this summer, capable of exposing that flaw.

I dont know what you are ranting of about me...."confusing seeing a batsmen play once and getting out early as proving they aren't cut out for International cricket. Dont be giving noone any impression, coming over here on CW from planetcricket, with your misguided view of how i judge county players in this country.

I have seen Hildreth bath more than one times & for the one millionth time, this is how i jude players in county cricket.Given the standard in county cricket is not great, when a players is/has done well in season in any format. I take the perfoming players county
stats into consideration, and then after that consider how good they look when I've seen them play.

But someone by people has yourself, that logic has been miscontrued quite ridiculously.

Good point actually.

If you want to talk about Hildreth or Morgan or whoever, either take it somewhere more appropriate or create a thread for it. Any more posts off topic will be deleted.

andyc

Morgans runs @ middlesex is irrelevant. Since he wasn't picked for tests based on FC form. It was based his exploits in ODI & T20 where he just looked the goods facing international bowling of high quality, which he have never faced in domestic cricket.

Because this didn't happen at all............

Good point actually.

If you want to talk about Hildreth or Morgan or whoever, either take it somewhere more appropriate or create a thread for it. Any more posts off topic will be deleted.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No mr.moderator. I dont have intentions of talking about them really, cant even remember how it reached to this. But you can delete away.