• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Cat the Prophet

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well, there's alot of people around here, and I figure that some of you must be involved in youth cricket, so I was wondering if anyone could talk about any good youth (U-19, or so) talent they've seen around, or heard of.

One guy I played against a few weeks ago was a Tauranga High batsman - Cain Williams. I'm not too sure of the spelling of his first name, but you get the idea. But seriously, this guy is phenomenal. I played against him a few years ago, and managed to pick him up early (that's the key with all batsmen, I s'pose) so I didn't really see his ability much. This time I didn't manage to get him early.

First ball, I bowled a great ball imo - on the off stump and swinging away - basically what you're taught to bowl as a FM bowler. I thought I might have got him again. But, instead, he went forward, and with a crack hit it on the up with a cover drive. Four. A hell of a shot. Next couple of deliveries, he left them. Then, I bowled a shorter one on middle. It wasn't short at all - about his waist height. He effortlessly pulled the ball wide of mid-on for four - just pivoted on one foot and creamed it. So, I tried to be a bit more careful, and managed to see off the next 2 deliveries.

Later on, he had progressed to 30 - odd and they had pretty much won the game. I was bowling what turned out to be the final over. First delivery, crack, a terrific on drive for four. Second ball, crack, another drive for four. With both of those, he didn't hit them hard - just timed them well and sent the ball whistling. With the third ball, it was a yorker on off. He simply shuffled around to offstump, and flicked it off his legs for six, to bring up his fifty and seal the match. It was some batting.

This guy is by far the best batsman I've ever seen at youth level, and I've been playing for more than 6 years now. I talked with my coach about him, and it turns out that my coach had seen him play before. He's been around youth cricket for upwards of two decades now, and he says that he's the best batsman he's seen in NZ since Martin Crowe. He also says he'll bet money that he'll be playing in the 2011 world cup. He also played against the Indian U-19s and scored runs against them as well. Ian smith has also given him praise IIRC. He was getting centuries by the time he was 13. Quite incredible, no?

And he's only 16. :blink:
Decent.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ha.

Well this is not cricket chat related. I did predict exaclty how Inter Milan had the team capable of beating Barcelona in the champions league way out from the start & well those in CW football thread some how failed to see how was that possible ATT:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2140967-post8880.html

quote said:
Just checking back the Champions league fixtures. Its pretty disappointing that Inter & Chelsea are clashing in the round of 16, either one of them can beat Barcelona this year. It would have been better if they had met in the QF or SF stage.

But i sort of have a gut feeling who ever wins the Inter vs Chelsea clash will win the CL.
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2141918-post8991.html

quote said:
Yes both Chelsea & Inter can match them in mid-field especially when you consider bench strenght.

When you talk about their regular first XI, although Barca with Xavi/Toure/Iniesta/Kieta (whichever trio starts) is better than everyone. Essein/Lamps/Ballack/Mikel/J Cole (whichever 4 starts) & Zanetti/Cambiasso/Muntari/Sneijder have the skill set really shut down Barca's creativity from mid-field & bully out Messi like what United did in 07/08. But of course its easier said than done.

Thats Barca's weakness, just like how a Australian batting line-up in cricket had a weaknesses & on turning pitches. Barca have a weakness againts physical teams who can shut them down along with quality strikers who can take advantage of goal-scoring oppurtunities when they arrive. Which ATM in europe is only 2 teams.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2140998-post8881.html

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2141049-post8886.html

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2141038-post8883.html

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2141789-post8974.html

I also suggested that Eoin Morgan should be picked in the test team based on his ODI T20 form before many & the selectors eventually did so. But again some on CW failed to see the logic behind that ATT:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2129242-post272.html

QUOTE said:
2. Morgan a player with enormous potentially has looked international quality in ODIs & although his FC record is not superb ATM. He deserves to considered in the test squad sicne he is CLEARLY THE MOST TALENTED YOUNG BATSMAN IN ENGLAND AT THE MOMENT - behind the main middleorder quartet of Trott/KP/Colly/Bell even without having a strong FC season behind him. Given that no other batsman in county cricket ATM is better than him in a potential middle-order role.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2127762-post181.html

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2127865-post187.html

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2127966-post203.html

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2128048-post213.html

I also predicted when Hauritz from his recall vs SA 08/09 would always struggle to take 5 wciket hauls on tuners/wearing 5th ay wickets vs good oppostion all over the world, which ahs turned out to be the case. But i cant find the post from it.

These are just recent good predicts from me of course.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not on here, but I predicted Pujara's promotion while watching the match after Sehwag got out.

Craig

World Traveller
TBF aussie, the way Barcelona were playing, and how they played Inter off the park in the group stages, even I was sort of expecting Barca to run away with it.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TBF aussie, the way Barcelona were playing, and how they played Inter off the park in the group stages, even I was sort of expecting Barca to run away with it.
Well as i said then ATT. If you where following Inter's progress under Mourinho after those group matches. You would have seen what i saw ATT, that they had what it takes to beat Barca.

Marcuss said:
Yes... because Morgan's been a huge success in Tests.
Thats irrelevant. My position ATT was that he had to picked for the test team even without strong FC form, since he was clearly the best batsman in the country behind the main middle-order of Trott/KP/Colly/Bell. Whether he has had/will have huge success (i certainly predict again he will) as a test batsman is different question

Most of you CW based on comments in that thread would have probably picked CD Nash or JK Adams given the strong insistance that players couldn't be picked unless they had a strong FC season.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thats irrelevant. My position ATT was that he had to picked for the test team even without strong FC form, since he was clearly the best batsman in the country behind the main middle-order of Trott/KP/Colly/Bell. Whether he has had/will have huge success (i certainly predict again he will) as a test batsman is different question

Most of you CW based on comments in that thread would have probably picked CD Nash or JK Adams given the strong insistance that players couldn't be picked unless they had a strong FC season.
No, it's perfectly relevant as what you're saying is bull****. The position of most was that he shouldn't be picked. When what you're arguing against is that he wouldn't be picked.
It doesn't qualify you as a prophet, you weren't the only one saying Morgan should be given a go, and even more people were saying that he would be given a shot - even if they felt there were others more deserving.
At the time, you tore County Cricket stats apart left right and center, and all that has come of it is that Morgan's mediocre County record has, so far, translated itself into a pretty poor Test record.
Prophecy my arse.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No, it's perfectly relevant as what you're saying is bull****. The position of most was that he shouldn't be picked. When what you're arguing against is that he wouldn't be picked.
It doesn't qualify you as a prophet, you weren't the only one saying Morgan should be given a go, and even more people were saying that he would be given a shot - even if they felt there were others more deserving.
At the time, you tore County Cricket stats apart left right and center, and all that has come of it is that Morgan's mediocre County record has, so far, translated itself into a pretty poor Test record.
Prophecy my arse.
whahahhahattttt??

When did i ever argued he "wouldn't" be picked?. My position always was he should be picked, while most was that he shouldn't.

Their was absolutely no one during the Bangladesh series thread on CW (who wished to make their opinions heard) who supported the idea of Morgan being picked for the test squad unless he had a strong FC season. You youself had a preference for Ed Joyce being picked. Check the thread your quotes remain their forever.

If anyone changed their mind after then (i wouldn't know since i was banned). It would have been a u-turn since he played no FC cricket after the BANG serie - just ODIs & T20s.

My predicition was simply he deserved to be picked & would have been picked before anyone else, since he was clearly AFAI & Flower & the selectors saw, he was the next best in line. I never suggested or argued whether he would go on to be success immediately etc. Thats clearly two totally different things.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
whahahhahattttt??

When did i ever argued he "wouldn't" be picked?. My position always was he should be picked, while most was that he shouldn't.

Their was absolutely no one during the Bangladesh series thread on CW (who wished to make their opinions heard) who supported the idea of Morgan being picked for the test squad unless he had a strong FC season. You youself had a preference for Ed Joyce being picked. Check the thread your quotes remain their forever.

If anyone changed their mind after then (i wouldn't know since i was banned). It would have been a u-turn since he played no FC cricket after the BANG serie - just ODIs & T20s.

My predicition was simply he deserved to be picked & would have been picked before anyone else, since he was clearly AFAI & Flower & the selectors saw, he was the next best in line. I never suggested or argued whether he would go on to be success immediately etc. Thats clearly two totally different things.
I said you were arguing against people saying he wouldn't be picked...

I know, I'm not denying that I didn't want him to be picked, there were many others in the same boat as me. But while some didn't want him to be picked... some expected him to be picked. There's a key difference.

Now, looking at your last paragraph, if you do genuinely understand that... you should've been able to understand my previous two posts. There were 3 categories : Those who felt he wouldn't and shouldn't be picked (me), those who felt he should and would be picked (you) and then those who felt that he would but shouldn't be picked. You're just as prophetic as the final group. They too felt that Morgan was going to be picked... they just felt that there were possibly better options ahead of him, and tbph Morgan has done nothing to prove them, or me, wrong.

Flem274*

123/5
Get this **** outta the thread.

EDIT: Stop feeding him Marcuss, then the argument will be over.

Last edited: