• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 5 Test series won by your Team

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not great at these things, but here goes from the series that I remember.
Agreed about Australia in 2005 and 2010-11.
If pushed, I'd rate SL in 2000-01 even higher than Pakistan in the same winter.
I loved the 1976-77 win in India, being still young and impressionable. Objectively, it was no better than 2012-13, but I'll pick the one from my formative years. 2011 was too easy, I suppose.
And I did absolutely love the 2004 win in the Caribbean. I know WI weren't great by then, but we hadn't won over there in ages, and we still haven't won over there since then. It felt like the start of something special and was one of the rare occasions when that turned out to be the case.

Other than that, there isn't a lot. Certainly not in the 1980s or 1990s, apart from beating SA in 1998. Maybe that one should be in there. The 1984/85 win in India was enjoyable, but India were much stronger in 1976/77 and 2012/13. The 1981 Ashes were less of a great performance and more of a case of divine intervention being needed against relatively moderate opponents. 1977 was a better performance in many ways.
I loved the Sri Lanka series in 2001. I was driving back from Nottingham to Plymouth on day 3 of the deciding Test. I didn't have a radio in the car and when I set off we'd just sneaked a tiny first innings lead. I got home just in time to see the winning runs. I think that's the only time 16 wickets have fallen in a Test while I've been driving. :) The 84/85 series is my favourite win in India. I think it's just down to circumstances. The previous tour to India had been a 1-0 defeat in a 6 match series. We lost the First Test and then the rest of the series was played on appallingly slow wickets and terrible overrates as India protected their lead. We went behind again in 84/85 and I dreaded much of the same, but we came back and won the series. The 01 win in Pakistan was a great historic achievement, but the ending was almost farcical. It was so dark that only the batsman and bowler could actually see the ball.
I also agree with the 05 and 10/11 Ashes. 81 was great for England for obvious reasons, but there was a lot of very mediocre cricket.
One I would add is the 2-1 win in South Africa in 04/05.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
West Indies 95
West Indies 99
India 2004
Ashes 2007
Ashes 2013/14

I wanted to place a South African series in there because they're always quality but I couldn't fit one in over those.

vandem

International 12th Man
NZ, chronological order, highly personal opinion

79-80 vs WI. Year 9 at school, English teacher brought the TV out of the AV cupboard to watch NZ v WI ODI, then I raced home to watch tense 1 wicket win with Coney + Lees + Hadlee lower order runs. Then rinse and repeat in the 1st test. 2nd and 3rd drawn for the series win.

85-86 vs Aus. Was there at Eden Park. Metronome Chats 18-9-19-3. Border b Bracewell captaincy assist Coney (teasing gap in the field for AB's sweep).

86 in Eng. IIRC still partial radio coverage (Wadds doing 60 mins a session), so tense "dark side of the moon" waits before he returned with updates and next commentary session.

13-14 vs Ind. BMac 200 and Wagner 4th innings heroics in Eden Park win, BMac and BJ Basin rearguard to lock in the series win.

17-18 vs Eng. 1st d/n test in NZ at Eden Park. Eng 1st innings destroyed by swing but lost time to weather meant England almost ground out a draw, defeated by Wagnerball under lights.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aus didn't win the series in 99.
This is like saying India won the series in Aus in 2003-04 because we retained BG Trophy.
True, and I accept it was a drawn series, but it was really good.

Australia had usually lost the close ones, for all of the domination in tests between 95 and 07, very few were actually close. And we haven't exactly won much in a memorable fashion outside those dates in my lifetime except perhaps the 89 Ashes.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually think the win in Windies by Aus in 2003 or whatever, after the WC was really good. Windies played good cricket and Australia had to dig deep to beat them.

bagapath

International Captain
True, and I accept it was a drawn series, but it was really good.

Australia had usually lost the close ones, for all of the domination in tests between 95 and 07, very few were actually close. And we haven't exactly won much in a memorable fashion outside those dates in my lifetime except perhaps the 89 Ashes.
This was probably a more satisfying series for West Indies

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trying to keep it in my cricketing lifetime, otherwise the WIndies 95 would rank first.

India 04
South Africa 09
England 13/14
South Africa 14
India 11/12