• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine

howardj

International Coach
He speaks well, and projects integrity.

But I must say I have been disappointed in his captaincy (the latest ****-up was his declaration on Sunday which showed no feel for the wider game), his referrals (which cost an Ashes series win), his batting, and especially his keeping (which was meant to be unimpeachable according to his boosters when he was picked for the Ashes last Summer).

He guided the team and Australian cricket through its hour of need, and seems a ripping bloke (important in the Langer era).

But please step aside at the end of the Summer for the closest thing us Australians will get to another Adam Gilchrist in our lifetime.

All the stars are aligning – Paine turns 35 next week, Smith’s captaincy ban expires at the end of the Summer, and Carey is cherry-ripe after his World Cup blitzkrieg and his brilliant start to the Shield season.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Keep Paine as long as he can play imo.

Smith shouldn't captain. Regardless of how you view the sandpaper thing, he was captain and it happened under him. I get that he shouldn't shoulder blame, but he isn't a strong leader.

Once Paine is out, make Cummins captain, replace Paine with Carey, and then Carey can assume the leadership if necessary after 12 months.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can’t believe he’s still getting **** about the declaration ugh

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I personally don't mind the idea of having our own Brearley. It's probably the best spot to have him as well because his keeping imo is test standard most of the time.

Burgey

His reviews didn't cost an Ashes win. Marcus Harris and Peter Siddle did. IMO he's been tactically good as captain. Pulled a few really good moves, including the declaration last test. Pakistan was 6/80 odd at stumps that night and the test won by an innings with a day to spare despite threats of weather. I'd say it was bang on.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
There was nothing wrong with the declaration, it worked well enough to win without having to bat again and allowed enough time for there to be a lot more rain interruptions than happened.

howardj

International Coach
Declaration had no feel for the wider game

Far more glory would have been brought to Australian cricket had an Australian got the world record and, in doing so, potentially held it for a very long time...than winning a Test nobody will remember (fair enough if the series was on the line).

The two things were not mutually exclusive in any case

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't think i'd ever see Tim Paine described like Winston Churchill or Adolf Hitler.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Declaration had no feel for the wider game

Far more glory would have been brought to Australian cricket had an Australian got the world record and, in doing so, potentially held it for a very long time...than winning a Test nobody will remember (fair enough if the series was on the line).

The two things were not mutually exclusive in any case
David Warner mate.......no one wants to see that, no one.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with Howard on the declaration. No one will remember this yet another test win over Pakistan (yawn) but a world record coupled with a win would have been etched in everyone's minds.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Is there a need to always manufacture some sort crisis with Australian cricket? Things are going as smoothly as they can. I am sure the selectors etc. are working on the long term plan and succession plans for Paine but really, it just makes sense that he leads Australia through this WTC cycle at least.

Tangentially, how great is it now that we have a WTC and the test teams can also start planning captaincy and line up tactics with 2 year cycles marked down for them. :)

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Declaration was perfectly fine. If you want the record score big against a true minnow next time we face one. Stop whinging that a declaration was stupid when we won the test. If we lost or drew because Warner went for the record you’d be whinging that Paine was a **** captain too and lambasting Warner as selfish.

Last edited:

Daemon

His tenure is a bit like Sammy’s. Nice guy, good leader, mediocre test cricketer brought in during a crisis.

ataraxia

International Coach
Declaration was perfectly fine. If you want the record score big against a true minnow next time we face one. Stop whinging that a declaration was stupid when we won the test. If we lost or drew because Warner went for the record you’d be whinging that Paine was a **** captain too and lambasting Warner as selfish.
Rather unlikely, to say the least.