• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The wicket keeper is disturbing.

davy

Cricket Spectator
I was batting one day and the wicket keeper just would not shut up about me. I did'nt say one word to him but he seemed to hate me striaght away. :@

He kept on commenting on my batting and how I was going to be out soon. Are there any laws that are in place to shut him up?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So long as he wasn't doing it whilst the bowler was running up to bowl, and so long as he wasn't saying anything offensive, I do not believe there are any laws to keep him quiet.

Every person deals with sledging in their own way. Some people respond to it in words, others in their actions, other completely ignore it and just go about business as normal.

Either way, you will have to find a way to deal with it, because there are going to be MANY more annoying wicket keepers when you play cricket.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So long as he wasn't doing it whilst the bowler was running up to bowl, and so long as he wasn't saying anything offensive, I do not believe there are any laws to keep him quiet.

Every person deals with sledging in their own way. Some people respond to it in words, others in their actions, other completely ignore it and just go about business as normal.

Either way, you will have to find a way to deal with it, because there are going to be MANY more annoying wicket keepers when you play cricket.
I was playing in a match on Saturday and once I was dismissed the bowled told me "You deserve that you ****ing ****" as I was walking off. When he said it I was already 10-15 yards away from him. I told my captain as I had no clue where it had come from. I'd gone out and umpired from square leg for 12 overs or so prior to this but he wasn't bowling at the time and I had to answer exactly 0 appeals.
Their captain and the player denied all knowledge of this happening even though the non striker when I was dismissed said he heard the bowler say something in my direction but didn't hear exactly because he was talking to the square leg umpire.
I had the last laugh though as I dismissed him for 6 C&B. Pretty much the entire team chipped in with "You deserved that batsman.. it's called justice" He couldn't help having a rant as he walked off about how we were all prepared to be big boys now. I (probably wrongfully) told him to "shut up and get off the pitch the new batsman is already here, this is you're own home pitch but just incase you didn't know the pavilion is over there".

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I was batting one day and the wicket keeper just would not shut up about me. I did'nt say one word to him but he seemed to hate me striaght away. :@

He kept on commenting on my batting and how I was going to be out soon. Are there any laws that are in place to shut him up?
I once hooked a ball purposely at the wicketkeeper. If the bowler occasionally bowls good length or short around leg, change your stance to an open one like you're going to switch-hit, walk across the wickets and hit the ball a bit late behind your body.

It was real fun as I whacked him squarely in the the bread basket and he was quiet for a while. The bowler bounced me a couple of time to get back at me but I was expecting that and got a few 4s off them.:laugh::laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I was playing in a match on Saturday and once I was dismissed the bowled told me "You deserve that you ****ing ****" as I was walking off. When he said it I was already 10-15 yards away from him. I told my captain as I had no clue where it had come from. I'd gone out and umpired from square leg for 12 overs or so prior to this but he wasn't bowling at the time and I had to answer exactly 0 appeals.
Their captain and the player denied all knowledge of this happening even though the non striker when I was dismissed said he heard the bowler say something in my direction but didn't hear exactly because he was talking to the square leg umpire.
I had the last laugh though as I dismissed him for 6 C&B. Pretty much the entire team chipped in with "You deserved that batsman.. it's called justice" He couldn't help having a rant as he walked off about how we were all prepared to be big boys now. I (probably wrongfully) told him to "shut up and get off the pitch the new batsman is already here, this is you're own home pitch but just incase you didn't know the pavilion is over there".
I think I wrote about an experience I had (not as bad I admit) which needs repeating.

I stopped playing serious cricket in 1985 when I moved out of Delhi to take up a senior level position in Bombay. Ten years later I went to Delhi on some work and at the week-end, my old club were playing a friendly game against another well known club of Delhi. They asked me if I would like to put on the flannels once again. I was tempted and went borrowing someone's shoes.

When it was my turn to bat, I was stunned at the amount of non-stop chatter between the keeper and the slips (I was batting at number three and their were still three slips in place) from the time I was taking guard till I was ready. It wasn't abusive like you have experienced. Maybe if they did not know that I was a senior former captain of the club they might have used stronger language but it was very annoying. I had never, ever, in twenty years of grade cricket experienced anything like that. I stopped and moved away even as the pace bowler was running in and the keeper was still jabbering away.

They shut up and the bowler started going back to his mark. As I settled down over my bat, they started again. I moved away again. It happened three times. I finally shouted loudly across the wicket to their coach (who was a former player I had played against and was standing at square leg as umpire) ,"I think your players are watching too much of Australia's games and unfortunately picking up all the wrong stuff from them." (Apologies to the Aussies here :) ) They did not try it on me after that.

The point is, that in the ten years that I was away from grade cricket, the next generation had really picked up what they saw the international players doing on the field. This is why all our silent and often very vocal endorsement of the 'gamesmanship', 'mental-disintegration' that started in cricket and gave some kind of vicarious pleasure to fans was wrong. When international stars start indulging in behaviour that infringes upon that undefinable concept of 'spirit of the game', all of us need to think twice before endorsing it as 'part of the game', 'adds to the excitement', 'if you cant take it you shouldn't be in the game' etc. It has long term repercussions that go beyond the mild banter that has never been a major issue.

Youngsters pick it up and it gets worse in language, tone and content. What's worse, the genie is difficult to put back in the bottle. All the instances we see of players being fined, banned from games are fall outs of the soft and mildly endorsing attitude of all concerned when Chappell's Australians started this kind of stuff and players across the world slowly picked up.

I would even go to the extent of saying that violent behaviour of players like Bhajji slapping Sreesanth (whatever the provocation) stem from the unchecked unruly behavious of the same players on the field.

I have heard Indian fans tell me that they love Harbhajan because he is so combative and aggressive. Really. Just because he screams and snarls and raves and rants even when he gets a wicket off a rank long hop? Is he aggressive just because he is will shout f*** off to a departing batsman even after he has scored a big hundred and taken him (Bhajji) to the cleaners before that? I dont. I would have called Bhajji aggressive if in the face of some stick he was willing to flight the ball more and challenge the batsman to go after him. Prasanna was the most aggressive spinner I ever saw in half a century of watching cricket but he never screamed and raved and ranted. Unfortunately you cant tell that to the modern fan. So we, the fans, have to take a share of the blame.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I've never seen Harbhajan mouth off at a batsman after dismissing him on a 100+ score.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Possibly even worse, I've seen him refuse to walk when clean bowled by KP; and when KP asked him "aren't you going to walk, I bowled you?" Harbhajan charmingly replied "f*** you"

You can watch it (and read some nice racist comments from illiterate halfwits while you're at it) on youtube

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
That clip is classic...for all the wrong reasons.

A good laugh though.
Yes although I never find anything about Harbhajan amusing. He is incorrigible and a spoilt brat. The Indian fans, media and cricket establishment need to look at themselves and see what kind of a player is being touted as a role model for youngsters. He is all I wouldn't want my son to be had he been a cricketer.