• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unofficial 2002 Batting Awards

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Please send you votes on the best:

1)Young Batsman in Tests
2)Young Batsman in ODI's

and the prestigious awards

The Best Innings of 2002

The Most Outstanding Player of 2002

Nominations close on in one week's tim

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we have an award for the highest and lowest strike rates too? Bangar gets my vote for the slowest :lol:

Mr Mxyzptlk

The Nominees for Young Batsman are:

ODI's:
RR Sarwan
VK Sehwag
S Elahi
MN Samuels
M Kaif
Alok Kapali

Tests:
RR Sarwan
VK Sehwag
A Flintoff
MN Samuels
P Patel (yes, he's impressed me)

Please notify of any other nominees you wish to add. I would appreciate if you could nominate a person from the countries which have not yet been named.(e.g Aus, SL etc.)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Originally posted by Rik
Can we have an award for the highest and lowest strike rates too? Bangar gets my vote for the slowest :lol:
Open the thread for it if you want to.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nominees for Outstanding Batsman:

ODI's:
VK Sehwag
ML Hayden
AC Gilchrist
RT Ponting
S Elahi
JH Kallis
HH Gibbs
CH Gayle
RR Sarwan
Yosuf Youhana

Test:
ML Hayden
R Dravid
SR Tendulkar
JH Kallis
RT Ponting
CL Hooper
S Chanderpaul
Y Youhana
Inzamam Ul-Haq

Once again please let me know if I missed anyone out. Votes may be submitted until the 20th of December and the winners will be announced on the 21st. Performances may be considered up to any point within the period of voting.
Please consider all candidates and vote fairly.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag's impressed me in ODIs, slightly more than Sarwan.

Samuels seems to have come of age (sheesh he's only like 20 isn't he?) in Tests so I'll go for him...

Vaughan for Most Outstanding player because he really has had some year.

Nathan Astle's 222 by far the best Innings.

[Edited on 13/12/2002 by Rik]

Mr Mxyzptlk

Please submit your choices for Best Innings between now and Monday the 16th.

Votes will end for that catergory on the 20th too. BTW best innings may be ODI or Test.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I feel so ashamed to have left out Vaughan. The revised list is:

Test:
ML Hayden
R Dravid
SR Tendulkar
JH Kallis
RT Ponting
CL Hooper
S Chanderpaul
Y Youhana
Inzamam Ul-Haq
MP Vaughan

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
ODI: I think Gayle should be there...

Tests: hmmm, not quite so sure coz i haven't seen much test cricket in the last year... M.Samuels has played in very few tests...why is he there? A.Flintoff: No comment...:D

Andre

International Regular
Young ODI:
Kaif

Young Test:
Sarwan

ODI:
Youhana

Test:
Can't split Dravid and Hayden.

Best Innings:
Bevan's miracle in Melbourne innings vs NZ - VB Series 2001-02.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
If there was an award for the best non-international innings it's got to be Ali Brown's 268...you don't go and score more runs than most batsmen in 4 days games can manage...in a 50 over OD game. Scoreboard

Scorecard for Astle's Innings

Astle's Innings, a great innings in a superb, if slightly one sided, match. Superb batting by both teams though, which made it such a good match in my opinion.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Young Batsman
odi Sehwag
test Sehwag
Young Bowler
odi Zaheer
test Bond
Young Keeper
test Patel
odi Kamran Abbasi
Best Batsman
odi Hayden
test Dravid
Best innings
Cairns VB Series Jan 2002
Best Bowling
S Akhtar Indoor series vs AUS

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nominations for best innings:

MG Bevan v NZ - 102*(95) (7*4)
VB Series 2001/2002

NJ Astle v Eng - 228 (168) (28*4, 11*6)
1st Test Eng in NZ 2001

CL Cairns v SA - 102*(99) (9*4, 3*6)

Cloete

International Captain
matt hayden should probably get most outstanding player of the year over dravid as dravid basically only played well against england(no offense but every1 knows how bad they r)where as hayden played well against india(always hard for an aussie as they rn't used to slow turning wickets)pakistan and england. And as it is look at the amount of experience dravid's had compared to haydo. Best innings this year would b astle's. best ODI i would also say hayden. i mean just last night he cracked 98 off 85 balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did u see wat he did in the kenya and pakistan triangular!!!!! and the ICC Champions trophy. for young ODI batsman i would say mohammed kaif and in tests probably patel(he's 17!!! and he's handled the pressure pretty damn well).