• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ten Best Cricketers Of All Time

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hadlee's bowling far outweighs that. What is it about you and Australia and Australian players buddy...sheesh. I never met a more wanna-be-Aussie.
His bowling outweights the fact that if Miller had played in as many innings as Hadlee, then he would've scored almost 5000 Test runs. I doubt it, especially given the fact that Hadlee murdered a weak team like Sri Lanka in both disciplines whereas Miller was impressive overall IIRC. I am a huge fan of Sir Richard Hadlee's, even more so after reading his autobiography but I find it hard to beleive that you think Hadlee is a better player than Miller, who is to some the greatest all rounder ever.

Also, my loyalty or nationality shouldn't have anything to do with this and I am a little annoyed that you brought it up in this argument. Yes I do like Australian cricketers and the Australian cricket team, it doesn't mean that I don't have a sense of neutrality when talking about cricketers from Australia and New Zealand.

Perm

Check out the Adam Gilchrist avatar...it's just not normal for a lad from the Clutha Valley
He is my favourite player ever and one that I respect the most. I wouldn't disrespect you're favourite player if he happened to be a foreigner, I'd appreciate it if you did the same.

Fiery

Banned
He is my favourite player ever and one that I respect the most. I wouldn't disrespect you're favourite player if he happened to be a foreigner, I'd appreciate it if you did the same.
You wouldn't have to...he'd never be foreign.

I'm only messing with ya Perm, don't take it too seriously bud

Perm

You wouldn't have to...he'd never be foreign.

I'm only messing with ya Perm, don't take it too seriously bud
I realise that, but I am still annoyed at the fact every time I talk up an Australian player or talk down a player from New Zealand then you bring my loyalty into question. Yes I am a Kiwi, but yes I do support the Australian team, except when they're playing the Black Caps.

Perm

That's OK, we're different generations and I just find it a bit weird. Mates still though eh?
No. I don't mind if you give me a bit of crap about it, but I was actually trying to have a discussion about Miller vs Hadlee and you threw it in there which was a bit low. I notice you still haven't responded to my rebuttal either. Didn't think you'd lie down that easy.

Fiery

Banned
No. I don't mind if you give me a bit of crap about it, but I was actually trying to have a discussion about Miller vs Hadlee and you threw it in there which was a bit low. I notice you still haven't responded to my rebuttal either. Didn't think you'd lie down that easy.
I'm not lying down, no one will ever convince me Miller was better than Hadlee. I might be a bit biased because he's probably the main reason I love the game. My first live ODI game was in Hamilton, NZ v India 1981 and I was hooked by the thrill of the crowd chanting his name. Up till then I knew **** all about cricket....after that I began a life devoted to the game. Didn't think a rebuttal was necessary given that I had already put forward my argument anyway. Despite my respect for the man, I've read a lot about Keith Miller and appreciate what a great player he was, but in my mind he'll never be as great as Hadlee...sorry Perm.

And mate I never meant to cause you any offence...it's all gentle ribbing

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Well thought out thread, I thought SF Barnes and Bill O'Reilly unlucky to miss out
It's nice to see some O'Rielly love since I always thought he was underrated and the third best spinner of all time. Murali is clearly ahead of him as far as spinners go IMO. As for Barnes, well here has too much competition to make the list as well. Malcolm Marshall is unlucky not to be in there, as is Hadlee, and both have good arguments for being better than Barnes. I think there's too much competition for them to make the top 20. As much as I like O'Rielly, I don't know if he'd make the top 20 when you think about names like Marshall, Hadlee, Akram, McGrath, Gavaskar, Chappell, Headley (who got the better of O'Rielly), Pollock, Lara, Botham etc. Based on one criteria or another, they could be placed ahead of O'Rielly I think. Barnes could make the top 20 but has competition as well.

I respect Barnes' figures, but I just don't see him ahead of Marshall. One of the things I think of when considering SFBarnes is that Shane Bond had around the same strike-rate, and I don't think anybody here would put Bond ahead of Marshall or Hadlee. SF Barnes' figures are great, but it's not impossible to fathom that one could end up with those figures and be worse than Marshall - especially considering Marshall's figures against perhaps the best generation for batting (that's debatable). There's a few too many questions hanging over Barnes, and Marshall was such an established genius.

Marshall > Barnes in my mind clearly...

Last edited:

Perm

I'm not lying down, no one will ever convince me Miller was better than Hadlee. I might be a bit biased because he's probably the main reason I love the game. My first live ODI game was in Hamilton, NZ v India 1981 and I was hooked by the thrill of the crowd chanting his name. Up till then I knew **** all about cricket....after that I began a life devoted to the game. Didn't think a rebuttal was necessary given that I had already put forward my argument anyway. Despite my respect for the man, I've read a lot about Keith Miller and appreciate what a great player he was, but in my mind he'll never be as great as Hadlee...sorry Perm.

And mate I never meant to cause you any offence...it's all gentle ribbing
Any chance you have MSN?

Fiery

Banned
I wouldn't go that far, it is his opinion and we should respect that, even though he is wrong.
meh...it's a very interesting debate because both guys are around the 10-15 best of all-time category.

Last edited: