• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The technically most sound batsman

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Matthew Hayden. There's an example of a guys who's attacking and has a decent technique. If any of you guys can find a chink in the armour of him, I'd be surprised.
I wont find any because there isn't any. His technique is pretty simple and sound. Which primarily why he can drive and cut so forcefully. Thats one of the assets of a good technique, that you should be able to play all sorts of shots without a lot a fuss. Hayden does that easily.

Damien Martyn...hmmm doesn't he struggle with rising balls outside his offstump, often the ball lands in the slips or a catch to extra cover.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by age_master
teh guy averages like 38, most of the others here average 45+
He was averaging 39.99 at the start of the Ashes...and this guy is 40 years old and keeps wicket...its amazing he's been this good for so long! I think he would have averaged well over 40 if he had been releaved of Keeping...but he does it for the team. He is a great player and the highest Aggrigate Runscorer for the 90s...

*I salute you Alec*

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Gotchya
Matthew Hayden. There's an example of a guys who's attacking and has a decent technique. If any of you guys can find a chink in the armour of him, I'd be surprised.
I wont find any because there isn't any. His technique is pretty simple and sound. Which primarily why he can drive and cut so forcefully. Thats one of the assets of a good technique, that you should be able to play all sorts of shots without a lot a fuss. Hayden does that easily.

Damien Martyn...hmmm doesn't he struggle with rising balls outside his offstump, often the ball lands in the slips or a catch to extra cover.
Trescothick has a very good technique but gets out chasing widish ones outside off off bowlers like Gillespie...he needs to fix that but other than that he has a very simple and effective technique...although he could move his feet more.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Gotchya
as i seid before, if you can pull that well, you gotta have goot tech
Thats a funny theory, ponting is a good puller because of his back lift and low body position, which give him a natural advantage to get inside the line of the delivery. He is not the technically most sound batsman because of his weakness outside the offstump. Also the gap between bat and pad is huge. I dont think technique fades in and out with the form of the batsman, thats his natural style that doesn't change whatever form he is in.
plus he is more often than not all at sea against quality spin. He has got excellent technique against pace, but against spin, his technique is very, very suspect. So, he cannot be called technically sound.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by wasims_fan
who would u say is the most technically sound batsman in International Cricket today. I would say its Rahul Dravid and Yousaf Youhana.
Yohanna's all at sea at the moment...and against Zimbabwe :O hehe well done Zimbabwe...ya gotta love em...well I do :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by marc71178
*I salute you Alec*
I bet that's a relief to him that you rate him - is this the first player you actually rate ever?:lol:
I rate a lot of players, its just ashame you seem to bring up players I don't rate;):D:lol:

Anyway...just look at the Zimbabwe-Pak thread...I rate enough of them...and :OWOW!!!:O I even wrote their names down!!!:O:O:O;):D:lol:

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Yohanna's all at sea at the moment...and against Zimbabwe hehe well done Zimbabwe...ya gotta love em...well I do
Rik were talking abt the guyz technique. He's not at sea anyway, rather rusty.