• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The playing out from the back thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha makes you realise you hardly ever see keepers kicking the ball straight out of their hands these days. Even when in hoof-it time wasting mode most keepers drop the ball at their feet and then boot it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see Bruce Grobbelar in those clips, as Liverpool were known for playing the ball from the back. But clearly not every time.

I vaguely remember a conversation on 'The Big Match' in the 1970s between Brian Moore and Jimmy Hill about whether goalies should throw the ball out to defenders instead of booting the thing. I think there must have been a couple of occasions when teams came unstuck when doing the former, so their considered view was that goalies should stick to the safer option. This, of course, was after the West Germans and the Dutch had shown us how football ought to be played in the early 1970s, but Brian and Jimmy weren't convinced.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha makes you realise you hardly ever see keepers kicking the ball straight out of their hands these days. Even when in hoof-it time wasting mode most keepers drop the ball at their feet and then boot it.
I wonder if the pass back law has subtly impacted this.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah agree. And as UC pointed out the other day, just hoofing it down the other end of the pitch more or less is just a guaranteed way of giving the ball back to the other side anyway these days, which is a massive liability (especially when you know that your opposite number isn't going to do the same in return).

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah agree. And as UC pointed out the other day, just hoofing it down the other end of the pitch more or less is just a guaranteed way of giving the ball back to the other side anyway these days, which is a massive liability (especially when you know that your opposite number isn't going to do the same in return).
Yeah this is a good point, defending has got much more subtle in ways that make it harder to win the ball from your own hoof. Centre backs used to just head the ball back where it came from as hard as they could when you hoofed it. Now the team will spread and they’ll try to find a team mate. Or they’ll let it beat them, run back and knock it to the keeper.

There aren’t many strikers left who can work with a hoof either. I think Drogba was the last one who was properly world class at it.

Socerer 01

International Captain
in the PL it has definitely become more popular once Pep came in as prior to him most keepers were still not the likes you see today

dont know about world class but the likes of Nunez Richarlison DCL and even Haaland can do a decent job at it imo

Molehill

International Captain
There aren’t many strikers left who can work with a hoof either. I think Drogba was the last one who was properly world class at it.
Worth pointing out how good Kane was on Tuesday, brought a lot of others into play from long balls and basically scored his second off the back of one. He also 'wins' a lot of free kicks high up the pitch from challenging for them too.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Modern players a bunch of pussies tbh. This is how you play from the back
But it doesn't show him getting dispossessed by Milla for the goal, where Milla is actually laughing before strolling in for the goal. I also remember his scorpion kick a few years later at Wembley. In fairness I think the effort at goal that lead to his kick was already flagged for offside. I just remember the England bench being in hysterics afterwards.