• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most lowly thought of players with truly gun performances.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Seeing Athertons name pop up in another thread made me think of how odd it is that a guy who was reguarly dismissed for not very many by too class pacers and who is genuinely thought of as a so so player is also the same player who played two of the 90s most iconic knocks, against Donald and Pollock

98* at Trent Bridge
185* at Jo'Burg

What I'm looking for is absolutely 5 star performances from ok, average and below average players.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Azhar Mahmood has a couple of ridiculous scores against South Africa doesn't he?

Devon Malcolm's 9/57 against South Africa would qualify.

Harbhajan Singh was a good Test cricketer, but his series against Australia (2001) in India was unbelievable.

Kamran Akmal's ton after Irfan Pathan had wrecked India.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sanjay Bangar in that 325 chase against the West Indies.

Kaif in the Natwest final chasing 326.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rodney Hogg vs England in 79 (I think).
Greg Blewett's 214 against South Africa in what was a huge series at the time, set up the series along with Steve Waugh. Plus his two centuries in his first two Tests - he was an enigma, his best was so good. And a pair of 99s... (favourite player when young, so sorry for the overload of Blewy love).

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Rodney Hogg vs England in 79 (I think).
Greg Blewett's 214 against South Africa in what was a huge series at the time, set up the series along with Steve Waugh. Plus his two centuries in his first two Tests - he was an enigma, his best was so good. And a pair of 99s... (favourite player when young, so sorry for the overload of Blewy love).
When Blewy was going it was totally worth watching, of domestic players I've seen live I rate him behind only Martin Love in terms of batting artistry. As for his 214 I only have a vague recollection at the time, but on rewatching it. Very nice indeed.
I used to think it was going to be him and Punter playing together forever as Australia's batting champions.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i feel like no-one really remembers that colin miller was an actual australian test player of the year

91Jmay

International Coach
Collis King anyone? 86, outscoring Richards in WC final. His only 50+ score in ODIs, although he looks a reasonable bat all things considered.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Charles Coventry had the world record ODI score for 6 years

In all his pro cricket he averaged in the 20s, hit 7 tons in 235 games and retired aged 31

srbhkshk

International Captain
Nothing will beat Douglas Marriliers 50 coming in at 10 and smacking a 30 ball 56 to steal a win against India in India.

Bijed

International Regular
Chris Martin 12*

Actually, more seriously, Panesar's 7* in the Cardiff Rearguard?

More seriously again, Stokes' 258

Last edited: