• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Legend of John Barton King

Mastro

Cricket Spectator
King and Philadelphia Cricket

I grew up near Haverford College and worked as a teen at the Merion Cricket Club.

Cricket is frequently played at Haverford- usually by South Asians- the pavillion is very nice. I remember making out with a cute girl there- many years ago.

Never got around to cricket.

Merion Cricket Club is a very blue-blooded club- they play tennis on the greens most of the year- they do set up for cricket in the fall I believe- to justify their name.

Note that King's success was as American cricket was dying- I believe two of the teams he was on folded?

Baseball was becoming even more popular- and the local Philadelphia Athletics (who have since moved to Oakland) were multiple championship winners in Kings era ('10, '11, '13) - pretty tough competition.

Last edited: