• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Kane Williamson Average Watch thread

Will Kane average 50 in both ODIs and Tests at some point before Feb 2017?

• Total voters

thierry henry

International Coach
tbf re: Kane’s bowling, he could definitely have been a “100 wickets in 100 tests” type bowler if not for injuries/chucking/cbf because of injuries and chucking. That’s not to say I particularly rated his bowling, just the fact that he was a regular wicket taker/bowler during the parts of his career where there weren’t obvious reasons to not bother with it.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Both Smith and Williamson probably could’ve ended up with more similar records to Root’s as bowlers but I’m glad they didn’t.

thierry henry

International Coach
I hadn’t even thought of that…based on their expected roles coming into test cricket and the apparent quality/aesthetics of their bowling, it’s mad that Root has ended up being more of a bowler than Williamson/Smith

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I was just thinking about Williamson's start to his career - being put in the side too early and that affecting his career average ... vs Smith who had that delayed start. Now I'm not saying Williamson didn't get some advantage to playing test cricket earlier, that experience would have been a good building block. But I thought I'd run their averages post 23 years and 9 months old - when Smith was recalled to the Australian side as a batsman.

Smith: 87 tests, 8388 runs, 30 hundreds, 63.06 average
Williamson: 59 tests, 5681 runs, 20 hundreds, 64.55 average

For the record Williamson's stats there begin with the 2014 West Indies tour.

Probably a pointless comparison, but maybe just worth considering when comparing the two players! I don't think Williamson's overall numbers tell the whole story.

Flem274*

123/5
Smith is a lot better, so while KW is still a ridiculous player in context of his era, he and others are unlucky to play in the same time as someone who ranks beside Tendulkar, Hobbs and Sobers.