• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ideal WorldT20 format

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha I've heard a few people mention the Pitcairn islands in reference to cricket recently. Feels like I'm missing something
There's less than 50 people living there, all in the capital Adamstown. One of the most isolated places in the world.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Or it could be frequency bias. You have become aware of it recently yourself and now you're noticing it more. It's like how you learn a new word and start noticing it everywhere.

cnerd123

likes this
Or it could be frequency bias. You have become aware of it recently yourself and now you're noticing it more. It's like how you learn a new word and start noticing it everywhere.
That's what I'm wondering too

It could be the people I heard talking about this on my team and Dan all follow the same blog/podcast/newsite or something and therefore have all simultaneously learnt about it.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Could get on board with this format tbh. I think you're right that you'd need to play 2 games a day, otherwise it would drag on for ages, and Howe makes some good points which might work against it, but in an ideal world where those points don't materialise, it could be a fun format and a good way for associate nations to get maximum exposure (notwithstanding the potential of consecutive thrashings)
15 teams all-play-all 2 games a day would take 53 days. For comparison, the group stage of the current World Cup has taken 38 days.

Bijed

International Regular
15 teams all-play-all 2 games a day would take 53 days. For comparison, the group stage of the current World Cup has taken 38 days.
Hmm, I guess 2 grounds hosting 2 games each per day would solve that, although that has its own drawbacks wrt to coverage

AV1782

Cricket Spectator
Knockouts are exciting but the most popular teams having bad days is a concern. How about a 16 team knock out with a knockout redemption series for the losers? So if a big team loses on an off day they end up playing more games in order to claw back to a semi finals position.

The lowest run rate team of the "winners" bracket plays the last team standing for a semi final spot. It is not perfect but it would give a popular team an opportunity to win even though they had a bad day.