• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ideal WorldT20 format

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I was thinking that the T20 World Cup should be a 15 team event, with everyone on the same level playing field. No, small boys' groups first for the chance that 1 team would then through to the big boys' group.

Have 15 teams and like this World Cup, have all 15 teams play each other. The games don't last that long and it could be managed and there could be 2 games every day.

Then 8 teams get to the QFs and the K.O.s

I would be a great format as everyone would get to play everyone. The teams that don't feature regularly in big tournaments will get to play 14 games at the highest level. There could be plenty of upsets and it would be a great tournament.

Of course neither BCCI nor ICC would want such a tournament, but I feel it would be a great format.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't think it'd put Netherlands or Hong Kong in the best light to get hammered 10 times in a row. A league that big is also going to have a ton of dead rubbers in it, and early games that are treated like warm up games. Plus there'd be more slogfests as teams rest their best bowlers.

I quite like the format as it is with its psuedo-qualifying stage. The only change I'd have is two more of the top teams in the first round just to give the associates an extra bite.

Bijed

International Regular
I was thinking that the T20 World Cup should be a 15 team event, with everyone on the same level playing field. No, small boys' groups first for the chance that 1 team would then through to the big boys' group.

Have 15 teams and like this World Cup, have all 15 teams play each other. The games don't last that long and it could be managed and there could be 2 games every day.

Then 8 teams get to the QFs and the K.O.s

I would be a great format as everyone would get to play everyone. The teams that don't feature regularly in big tournaments will get to play 14 games at the highest level. There could be plenty of upsets and it would be a great tournament.

Of course neither BCCI nor ICC would want such a tournament, but I feel it would be a great format.
Could get on board with this format tbh. I think you're right that you'd need to play 2 games a day, otherwise it would drag on for ages, and Howe makes some good points which might work against it, but in an ideal world where those points don't materialise, it could be a fun format and a good way for associate nations to get maximum exposure (notwithstanding the potential of consecutive thrashings)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That sounds terrible. Half the games would be painful thrashings. Like that's one of the worst ideas ever.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd probably have a 0 team tournament, with each side playing against each other, followed by a knockout stage & a final where nobody lines up against no-one.

_Ed_

I quite like the format as it is with its psuedo-qualifying stage. The only change I'd have is two more of the top teams in the first round just to give the associates an extra bite.
Agree, and I think this is happening with next year's tournament - four teams go through.

vcs

Invite 16 teams, make it a straight knockout. Finish the tournament in two weeks. Ensure that the top 4 teams by the rankings get their own quarters, no need for any other seed protection.

Bijed

International Regular
For me, the fact that all T20s always feel, to some extent, like a bit of a lottery in terms of who wins means that straight knockouts (even the group stages feel kinda perfunctory) make lifting the trophy at the end feel less satisfying than maybe it might (matches/tournament can still be fun, of course). I do think that T20 (or The Hundred, once it naturally replaces it :ph34r:) is the one format where a league/championship structure could actually be both practical and more interesting - I could see it being workable if maybe split into 2 divisions and run as a biennial event

cnerd123

likes this
Get 64 teams, seed the match ups (1 Vs 64, 2 Vs 63, so on) and play a straight 6 stage KO competition IMO. Nothing more exciting than that and we'll get some amazing matches along the way.

trundler

India should have more than one team tbh. Give India 5 teams, BD and Pakistan 2 each.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Get 64 teams, seed the match ups (1 Vs 64, 2 Vs 63, so on) and play a straight 6 stage KO competition IMO. Nothing more exciting than that and we'll get some amazing matches along the way.
You'd probably get a game at some point.

Edit: I'm assuming the number of sides you are eligible for is comparable to the number of sides you support

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I've actually seen the South Korean national side play and safe to say they I wouldn't get into their XI either :(