• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC Super Series

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Has we all might have know already Australia will be taking on Rest of the World sides in 3 ODI'S indoors at the melbourne indoor stadium and the 6 day super test at the SCG. To me the ODI'S will be evenly contested but the super test Australia will win simply because n i stress on it again Australia superb bowling attack, Here what The Rest of the World XI might be:

Stephen Fleming * - skipper
Virender Sehwag or Strauss (Depending on his ashes performance)
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Brain Lara
Jaques Kallis or Andrew Flintoff
Kumar Sangakara + - Keeper
Shaun Pollock
Shoaib Akhtar
Steve Harmison (also on ashes performance) Shane Bond (if he comes back and bowls has quickly and has well as before) or even Vaas or Pathan or Ntini
Anil Kumbel or Daniel Vettori (Extra spinner due to nature of SCG pitch)
Muttiah Muralitharan

so if u look at that team the batting is powerful but if their is any bowling at that can tie them down is australia because, and if u look at the facts other than lara n tendukar McGrath n the pact have good records againts all the rest. While their bowling wont really destroy australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More importantly it's ridiculous for fantasists and realists to try picking the World team now.
Just think how many players are up for consideration now who wouldn't have been 6 months ago, and the other way around. I mean, who on Earth would have thought there'd be any question over Harmison's place, for instance, 4 months ago? Yet now he's as much part of the pack as anyone.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
More importantly it's ridiculous for fantasists and realists to try picking the World team now.
Just think how many players are up for consideration now who wouldn't have been 6 months ago, and the other way around. I mean, who on Earth would have thought there'd be any question over Harmison's place, for instance, 4 months ago? Yet now he's as much part of the pack as anyone.
Which camp are you in Rich? ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Australia or World XI?
Couldn't really care less.
Though I must say it'd get Australia even more stupid admiration if they won.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Australia or World XI?
Couldn't really care less.
Though I must say it'd get Australia even more stupid admiration if they won.
No, I meant fantasist or realist?! :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Aaah the crux of your problem Richard.
I get sick enough of everyone fawning over this "best side ever" as it is; then we'd get the "has anyone else ever beaten a World XI?" added to it.
I just can't stand the thought.

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
I get sick enough of everyone fawning over this "best side ever" as it is; then we'd get the "has anyone else ever beaten a World XI?" added to it.
I just can't stand the thought.
How would you feel if it was England that was doing all the winning.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
How would you feel if it was England that was doing all the winning.
That is something I cannot know.
If it was England doing the winning in the exact same circumstances I'd feel exactly the same.
I don't let nationalistic bias get in the way of my judgement of cricketdom.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
The current AUS team r the best ever though Richard.
That is something we cannot either know or even realistically guess at.
And the far-fetched guesses I'd take are that they're maybe, just, in the top 10.

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
That is something I cannot know.
If it was England doing the winning in the exact same circumstances I'd feel exactly the same.
I don't let nationalistic bias get in the way of my judgement of cricketdom.
Well if you have no nationalistc bias then how good do you rate the Australian team.

Blaze

Banned
Richard said:
That is something we cannot either know or even realistically guess at.
And the far-fetched guesses I'd take are that they're maybe, just, in the top 10.

Name 9 better test sides of all time better than the current AUS team. I can't name one

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Well if you have no nationalistc bias then how good do you rate the Australian team.
As perhaps the 9th or 10th best side of all-time.
But that can only be based on fairly far-strung guesswork.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
Name 9 better test sides of all time better than the current AUS team. I can't name one
South Africa 1969\70
Australia 1948
Australia 1934
West Indies 1979
West Indies 1957
England at some point in the mid-1950s
Pakistan 1999 (if they'd been anyone but Pakistanis they'd have broken all records)
South Africa 1998\99
That's about all I can do off the top of my head.

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
As perhaps the 9th or 10th best side of all-time.
But that can only be based on fairly far-strung guesswork.
Its only my opinion but I think your judgement of cricketdom is a fair bit out of whack and very much influenced by something even though you claim its not nationalistic bias.