• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Forumers' Ashes 2023

Howe_zat

Audio File
Fifth Test, The Oval

Day Five

The final day started brightly for England as NGIN Roome continued his spell from the previous night with the wicket of Duff with 200 still needed for the win. Delonge came in and started a positive partnership with Slim, but hooked a short ball off Smyth-Brown to the boundary fielder for 19. With the score on 99/3, the visitors' chase was looking uneasy, but Joel Keast and O'Shea de Slim lasted for the rest of the morning session. Slim raised a composed half century with Keast taking over the aggressor role. At one point Vicente conceded 19 off an over. They took control of the chase and by lunch England were the ones in trouble. 170/3 and only 90 still to get in the last two sessions.

With the draw now out of the question, the home attack needed to fire, and up stepped Heath Davis. In the seamer's first over after the break he fired in a yorker that beast Slim's defences for his first wicket of the innings. In the next over Keast brought up his own attacking fifty with a pair of boundaries off Herregonaes, but as Roome replaced the allrounder to keep the runs down at one end, Davis was ticking. He dismissed Keast lbw and Kasinathan caught at slip in the same over as the Australians dipped to 192/6.

The scoring completely shut down and 10 overs later, midway through the afternoon session, Ruthless and Starfighter had added another 16 runs before Davis picked up his fourth wicket of his spell with an inswinger to Ruthless for 10. Starfighter was fighting a lone battle, hitting a couple of boundaries off Smyth-Brown, but at the other end Davis refused to come off and completed his five-for with another lbw, this time Ruid for 1. 224/8, and an exhausted Davis had 5-52.

With Smyth-Brown conceding runs, the captain turned to allrounders Herregonaes and Mole, and it paid off. Starfighter had been a thorn in the side all session but couldn't clear cover on a lofted drive off the offspinner. Nine down and 30 to get, but that didn't mean O'Fcoco and David weren't going to try. In Herregonaes' next over O'Fcoco ran a pair of byes and edged a four through slips. After a few singles off Mole, a clubbed boundary and a wild delivery that went for four byes off Herregonaes, the 250 came up. Then another boundary, this time Thexton David sending his fellow spinner to the leg side boundary. Five to get. The captain kept the faith in Herregonaes - who smashed David's stumps. 3-1, and the Forumers' Ashes 2023 went to England.

1690787034900.png

England won by 5 runs
POTM: Red Inksquid

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Two vital partnerships with the bat, a destructive five-wicket haul. What more could one ask for, except perhaps the jeroboam of champagne and the plaudits of one's fellows.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wonder if any real test series has had bowling averages as bad as that.

29 wickets at 31 as the best, in England is some mental figures.
Yeah it was a really high scoring series in general. I think it's because the ICC game expects the player to use a lot more tactics wrt field placings, bowling plans and changes (plus dropping the tired bowlers) and since I couldn't get the AI to do that, the batsmen had an easier time.

Still, these two sides managed to produce some pretty close matches regardless. Got a bit lucky in that almost the whole series was uninterrupted by weather so there was enough time to force the results.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Yeah it was a really high scoring series in general. I think it's because the ICC game expects the player to use a lot more tactics wrt field placings, bowling plans and changes (plus dropping the tired bowlers) and since I couldn't get the AI to do that, the batsmen had an easier time.

Still, these two sides managed to produce some pretty close matches regardless. Got a bit lucky in that almost the whole series was uninterrupted by weather so there was enough time to force the results.
Well I guess got to feel someone better about the threat of AI, when this AI it doesn't factor in rain in a simulation of cricket in England.

Mind chat gpt and things of it's ilk probably a lot more money gone into creating the AI than whatever the simulation software/game you've used is/

the big bambino

International Captain

Thanks for this. A lot of fun. Well played.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
40 avg at 58 SR is perfect for the #7 keeper, aye? :)

Great job running this Howe. Writeups and the effort were all great and fun to read.